Fallout 4 Shipped 12M On Day One

HardOCP News

[H] News
Whoa. Even though they are using the number of units "shipped" not actual sales figures, that's still an impressive number.

Bethesda Softworks announces the "successful" launch of Fallout 4, and by successful, they mean that the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel shipped about 12 million units its first day of availability, though they don't state how many copies were sold. They also say this represents "record" sales, though they do not report any specific record the game has broken.

Whoa. Even though they are using the number of units "shipped" not actual sales figures, that's still an impressive number.

Bethesda Softworks announces the "successful" launch of Fallout 4, and by successful, they mean that the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel shipped about 12 million units its first day of availability, though they don't state how many copies were sold. They also say this represents "record" sales, though they do not report any specific record the game has broken.

Holy crap ... that is enormous for an RPG ... definitely into the Skyrim territory ... considering that FO3 only sold 5 million this is a big jump

Looks like the "Don't Preorder Ever" crowd once again shows it's true colors.

Bethesda could take a shit in a bowl and call it Fallout 5 and I'd probably preorder if it were under $40. The upside is that it would probably be less buggy.

This is just shipped copies not sold ... that said, preorders and day 1 purchases on a big AAA title tend to be high ... many of us have been waiting years for this next Fallout installment and Bethesda is Bethesda ... their launches aren't perfect but they aren't the worst either

12 million eh? IIRC that's more than GTA V did.

12M x $59.99 = $719.88M, and that doesn't include all the "collectors" edition that cost way to fucking much to get a little pewter figuring or what not as a "collectible"

Or Fallout is extremely popular. Yeah, Fallout is extremely popular

enough of this game! dammit, the wife told me I cant buy it because I bought too many games this last couple months!

(cries)

Would be nice if they didn't make you download 20GB of data after you bought the DVD. I ordered from Amazon to find out there is 5.7 GB on the DVD and the total size Steam needed to download and additional ~20 GB. Cost me 2 nights of playing waiting on that download :(

enough of this game! dammit, the wife told me I cant buy it because I bought too many games this last couple months!

(cries)

Well even though I'm a huge Fallout 3 fan, I think buying on day one is still not a very good idea with Bethesda's stuff. It's probably better to wait for the game to reach the end of its patching and DLC life cycle for a few reasons:

-Buggies...it's a Bethesda game and though they're huge, there's huge bugs

-DLC...because the game is a lot more fun to play with all of the expansion junk that you miss the first time you play it and don't enjoy as much the second, third, ... millionth time you play it. Waiting for a couple of years gets you everything from the start.

-Mods...really that's part of what makes the games so replayable. For like Fallout 3 there's tons and tons of world-expanding mods. None of that stuff exists early in the game's life so waiting for them to come out and get fixed (plus unofficial patches too since...well Bethesda game) is has the same benefit as waiting to play after all the DLC is out.

-System requirements...since those kinds of huge open worlds are a very personal experience they're so much more enjoyable on a laptop on a couch with some tea than at a stupid, huge desk with some yucky faux leather chair on wheels and the longer you wait the easier it'll be to run the game on cheaper, more sensible computer hardware.

-Price...retail price for the game and all the eventual expansions will prolly be yuck-o high. Buy them all in like some game of the year edition bundle on a Steam sale for $10 instead of $100+ piecemeal over time.

Well even though I'm a huge Fallout 3 fan, I think buying on day one is still not a very good idea with Bethesda's stuff. It's probably better to wait for the game to reach the end of its patching and DLC life cycle for a few reasons:

-Buggies...it's a Bethesda game and though they're huge, there's huge bugs

-DLC...because the game is a lot more fun to play with all of the expansion junk that you miss the first time you play it and don't enjoy as much the second, third, ... millionth time you play it. Waiting for a couple of years gets you everything from the start.

-Mods...really that's part of what makes the games so replayable. For like Fallout 3 there's tons and tons of world-expanding mods. None of that stuff exists early in the game's life so waiting for them to come out and get fixed (plus unofficial patches too since...well Bethesda game) is has the same benefit as waiting to play after all the DLC is out.

-System requirements...since those kinds of huge open worlds are a very personal experience they're so much more enjoyable on a laptop on a couch with some tea than at a stupid, huge desk with some yucky faux leather chair on wheels and the longer you wait the easier it'll be to run the game on cheaper, more sensible computer hardware.

-Price...retail price for the game and all the eventual expansions will prolly be yuck-o high. Buy them all in like some game of the year edition bundle on a Steam sale for $10 instead of $100+ piecemeal over time.

Good points. I mean I am still bitter about Daggerfall's bugs lol. But fallout 3 and NV were sooo much fun. guess I should at least finish witcher before I get into another rpg.

Reputation matters. I wont pre-order anything from EA or UBISOFT, but CD Projekt Red or Bethesda or Naughty Dog? You bet your ass i'll pre-order

Some of us are just cheap bastards and are waiting for the GOTY to come out someday :D.

I still have FO3 and NV to play through before I even think of touching FO4

(cries)

That's why you keep a secret "slush fund" hidden from the wife for such emergencies.

Reputation matters. I wont pre-order anything from EA or UBISOFT, but CD Projekt Red or Bethesda or Naughty Dog? You bet your ass i'll pre-order

Exactly. Don't pre-order from those you know you'll get burned by.

Those you list are very accurate. EA & UBISOFT are the biggest offenders of shoveling shit.

Bethesda, Naughty Dog are excellent companies that haven't done me any wrong. I haven't had any bugs with the games I've bought (console & PC). Lucky?

I was thinking valid arguments until I hit this one and I thought, "This guy is a moron, wtf--" then I noticed who was writing it and I thought, "Nope, appropriate response from this guy" lol.

Would be nice if they didn't make you download 20GB of data after you bought the DVD. I ordered from Amazon to find out there is 5.7 GB on the DVD and the total size Steam needed to download and additional ~20 GB. Cost me 2 nights of playing waiting on that download :(

I feel your pain. I waited until release day, read the reviews, decided I'll buy it sooner or later. Found Target had buy 2 get 1 free deal this week, talked to a friend, we bought a couple copies and split the discount. Not too shabby for $40. However, getting home and watching that 20gb download on snail-snot-slow ADSL, was...fruss...traaa....tiinngg....

I was thinking valid arguments until I hit this one and I thought, "This guy is a moron, wtf--" then I noticed who was writing it and I thought, "Nope, appropriate response from this guy" lol.

I'm actually shocked he didn't mention his cat hahaha

No, those two things are not connected in any way. I never preorder anything but I did buy Fallout 4 on launch day. It's perfectly easy to buy at launch you know.

Would be nice if I could play it. Game crashes to desktop every 2-10 min.

If you're running in on Steam, try disabling the Steam overlay. I was having that problem but it's working fine with the overlay disabled.

No, those two things are not connected in any way. I never preorder anything but I did buy Fallout 4 on launch day. It's perfectly easy to buy at launch you know.

How could you possibly know this? I think you are making an assumption.

12M x $59.99 = $719.88M, and that doesn't include all the "collectors" edition that cost way to fucking much to get a little pewter figuring or what not as a "collectible"

Your math also doesn't include the fact that 100% of the revenue does not go to Bethesda. I have seen it for sale on digital storefronts for Under 45$. Retailers have to make something. Also, you have to consider different market prices for each region and all of a sudden that number is much smaller than you say. It's not an insignificant amount of money but not even close to what you are extrapolating.

Well to be fair, Bethesda did something no one else did for this Fallout title - - they showed a ton of game play at their E3 conference. They showed so much stuff on this game, that the hype train went full speed ahead.

And yet, they still rely on the modding community (Unpaid Development Team) to fix their game.

And yet, they still rely on the modding community (Unpaid Development Team) to fix their game.

They supply some of the best modding tools in the industry, and it's already a hugely popular game. Woe is us, we're overwhelmed with a fantastic modding community.

its a awesome game.only issue i had was it was running the game too fast aka terminal bug but capped fps and works flawless.

Why shouldn't they ... they have some of the best modders around ... perhaps they rely on them more than they should but only because they can ... they are still superior to other companies who either don't support modders or actively work against them

At least on the Xbox one, I haven't had any issues with the game, know somebody with it on the ps4 and no issues. So I think this might be a bug free release and safe for all to buy :)

See, this here is where the argument for not buying digital falls apart. All you ever hear is think about the amount of data you use. You have just shown that once again physical copies don't do much to stop you from having to download massive patches or basically download the entire game still.

"Unpaid" modders - as if everyone wouldn't be bitching even more if the modders asked for a fee to be compensated for their work.

The videogame industry as a whole has moved away from modding, at least it still exists here. But people will find reason to bitch no matter what.

I still don't understand the point in pre-ordering

They want your money, they have enough copies made. They won't sell out

Your math also doesn't include the fact that 100% of the revenue does not go to Bethesda. I have seen it for sale on digital storefronts for Under 45$. Retailers have to make something. Also, you have to consider different market prices for each region and all of a sudden that number is much smaller than you say. It's not an insignificant amount of money but not even close to what you are extrapolating.

I guarantee those figures don't include digital copies of the game either. Especially since Steam/Valve doesn't report such figures. Today alone there were over 400k people playing FO4 on Steam. While no where near 12M copies I can bet that not everyone who owns the copy (including me) has played the game today.

I still don't understand the point in pre-ordering

They want your money, they have enough copies made. They won't sell out

Pre-order is supposed to guarantee you will get a copy on launch day and/or you wont have to wait for it to download on launch day. I got mine the day before the game was released so I could pre-load it.

Look. We are all aware that Beth never changes.

Given the whole Gamebryo and bugs on day one, there's very little reason why we should take the plunge to get this game if you don't crave for gaming on day one.

I guess I have become a major cheapass by waiting it out for a year or even more before taking the plunge to get the game, but I think many of us are in the same company.

Back