First Major Update For Windows 10 Available Today

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well that sure was fast! The first major update for Windows 10 is out now. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

Today, we reach our next milestone as the first major update to Windows 10 is now available* for PCs and tablets. With this update, there are improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience, including thousands of partners updating their device drivers and applications for great Windows 10 compatibility. Windows 10 also starts rolling out to Xbox One today and select mobile phones soon.

What's the asterisk for?

*If already running Windows 10, you will receive the November update according to your Windows Update settings. If you’re running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you can take advantage of the free upgrade offer and receive the November update as part of your Windows 10 upgrade.

** US only at availability

***Hardware dependent

Not showing up on my Surface Pro 4. Hmm.......

I couldn't get it to update either. So I looked around and found out you could force it with the media creation tool from M$.

Worked like a charm and you can do fresh install or keep all your stuff/settings.

Thou that stupid windows firewall popup you have to disable again ;p

Just installed it. Windows search and Cortana works again... It was completely broken on my computer before. :D

I couldn't get it to update either. So I looked around and found out you could force it with the media creation tool from M$.

Worked like a charm and you can do fresh install or keep all your stuff/settings.

I had created the media on a flash drive to use at work. It had not dawned on me that I could use it to upgrade my computer, doh! :D Thanks for the reminder, my home computer is now on 10586.

Just installed it. Windows search and Cortana works again... It was completely broken on my computer before. :D

Yeah, Cortana seems much more solid in this release, particularly voice activation. Voice activation is MUCH better in this release. This release hasn't shown up in WU for me so I used the Media Creation tool to install on my Surface Book and that went perfectly. Seems to have fixed some bugs with that device as well. Not a whole lot new, jumplists on the tiles and auto resizing of snap views are two very nice UI changes along with a better feel to interior window snapping with multiple monitors.

I got the update through Windows Update this afternoon. Incremental improvements, although I'm still surprised by the number of old icons. You'd think that changing up the art would be fairly easy.

can I do an iso clean install of this and just plug in my Windows 7 activation key?

I tested it today on my test machine still crappy. They fixed some parts like themes and sound issues. There is finally a way to turn off driver updates. The down side things got worse in other areas like privacy now email apps can send emails to people in your contacts without asking you. The apps MS download to your computer without your consent now installs Candy Crush, Seriously MS why the hell would I want that. I had to go into powershell and now uninstall 26 crappy apps that MS loaded on the computer. This OS is still beta. At least in Windows 8.1 you could uninstall all apps in settings. In 10 you have to go into powershell and do it.

I tested it today on my test machine still crappy. They fixed some parts like themes and sound issues. There is finally a way to turn off driver updates. The down side things got worse in other areas like privacy now email apps can send emails to people in your contacts without asking you. The apps MS download to your computer without your consent now installs Candy Crush, Seriously MS why the hell would I want that. I had to go into powershell and now uninstall 26 crappy apps that MS loaded on the computer. This OS is still beta. At least in Windows 8.1 you could uninstall all apps in settings. In 10 you have to go into powershell and do it.
Got some code for us? Or at least some links to where we can find this powershell code?

but does it actually work as advertised ;)

I've not personally tested it but I first saw this feature mentioned on Winbeta about a month ago and they said it worked and I've heard the same from other places. This is supported and has been confirmed functional for the last two builds.

The driver update disabling has been there the whole time.. and it has worked the whole time.

Just tried the update on my Windows 10 VM Guest. It downloaded, "prepared the update", and then it just said the system was up to date.

It's not in my update history, even after a manual reboot, my version is still "10.0.10240" and I can't tell any difference.

Refreshing updates, and it doesn't pop up again, which suggests in installed... Something didn't quite go as planned, I think.

The down side things got worse in other areas like privacy now email apps can send emails to people in your contacts without asking you.

Where in the mobile world does this question get asked in the face? In any case there is a setting that controls this. As well as a setting to control SMS messages.

Zarathustra[H];1041968733 said:
Refreshing updates, and it doesn't pop up again, which suggests in installed... Something didn't quite go as planned, I think.

Did you actually see the update in Windows Update? I've not so far on any devices on 10240 and had to run the Media Creation tool which worked perfectly.

Did you actually see the update in Windows Update? I've not so far on any devices on 10240 and had to run the Media Creation tool which worked perfectly.

Yep, it popped right up and started downloading automatically.

Then proceeded to "preparing files" but I need Dr saw a completion or scheduled restart or anything like that.

i am testing windows 10, i had defer updates turned on just wanted to see what it did, soon as i turned off defer upgrade it started downloading right away (be better if it asked you or put it in optional updates

but i was fafing with wifi so it errored and is gone now it says i have all the updates (i guess it will auto try again later on, as i am aware its set to a % installs/tries per region per day so not to overload the servers and pull update if its failing on a massive scale but on windows 10 the Fast insiders get the experimental updates first to Fast and then slow insiders then to the rest of the beta testers (the public, normal windows 10 installs)

another problem is productivity issues as an upgrade takes time to install if your using a HDD (flys on a SSD) and it could completely break windows 10 or some apps that are installed on the system

one issues with this i can see people using a large chunk of data up automatically as windows does not give you any way of setting windows to only check and ask (like on all windows below 8.1) even on windows 10 Pro even the defer upgrades only delays the upgrades for 6-9 months does not stop them, so people on mobile data tethering or other monthly data limited products windows 10 could be a problem unless you completely disable windows update in services which is a bit extreme (as you still can't set the ethernet connection as a metered connection)

unless it changed in the new upgrade, turning on metered connection is in a wacky place at the moment (in windows 8 you just right click on the wifi network and set as metered)
windows 10 its settings network and internet and at the bottom of the page adv options and then there is a slider to make it a metered connection ,,it taken me about a minute to find it, was about to google it when i found it, normal person would not find it nor do they even know what metered connection is, it should say data limited connection and popup and tell them are they sure they want to turn it on

Is this version that allows you to do a bare-metal install from media with a Win 8 key? If so, I'd appreciate a link to the ISO.

"First Major Update"....

Ok what the hell am i missing?

I have yet to see a list of actual features that would, even by a little, "enhance my experience".

I see a 3 bullet point list of... nothing but marketing dribble (aka bullshit that gives the customer/user any actual benefit or enhancement).

30% Faster then Windows 7 - Isnt that a step backwards from when 8 launched? In my use cases 8 was already 500% faster booting then 7. So we've... gone backwards? And this Cortana, i still have absolutely no use for it. Its even less on my radar then facebook is for making my life any easier. Its deff not enhanced because fo whateverthefukitis. And... more buzz words about how a web browser is oh-so-life-changing.

I can't believe MS has resorted to NO software development at all for their major updates. Its just a bunch of buzz word marketing crap that benefits me... none.

Have they at least put a slider back in for the touch screen brightness? You know.. an ACTUAL user facing direct benefit .. and this may take some time to pronounce... enhancement? (oh thats right.. cant even claim that as it was once in the OS and was change for no fucking sane reason).

Cortana is better at collecting "telemetry" than ever before so leave your microphone on kiddies because Microsoft is using conversations you have near your computer to improve the OS. Don't worry, it's all part of crash reporting so it's just as vital to have that working as it is to have a keylogger on all the time. :D Oh yeah, we enabled that by default on this version and changed the destination IP addresses for collection to beat all those pesky ACL entries on your router to block outbound traffic.

Now at 44% on my 6 year old Dell laptop. Just checking it out really. This laptop is being replaced in a few days with the new Dell 13" Chromebook. Bliss!

Got it installed on my laptop. Any incompatible software it finds it will uninstall in the update process.

GC60aNq.png

The driver update disabling has been there the whole time.. and it has worked the whole time.

The driver update thing was there in device manager yes but when it did automatic updates it still would try and install them. The first build 10240 even if it was off in device manager it still updated in updates.

Got some code for us? Or at least some links to where we can find this powershell code?

Powershell is easy. Open powershell then type

get-appxpackage

That will list all the apps MS installed to remove them all you need is the id and type

remove-appxpackage space then the package id and it removes it.

Also if you really want to remove cortana for good theres a way. Boot off a Win10 PE and then goto the Windows folder then Apps. Then delete cortana folder. Reboot and its gone! Search still works.

The win10 update fixed a number of small irritating issues I've been having. So far so good there.

I absolutely hate the new xbox update with its UI changes.

The new Skype-based apps are extremely half baked. Why not just bring back the Window 8.1 Skype app? It beats these and the desktop app handily. These all look and work like they were thrown together in a weekend.

Other than those, I like the other changes. Especially the extra row of Start Menu icons. For some weird reason my Origin shortcut now has a black background...and it's the only one that does. There seems to be no way to fix it either. Not that big of deal, but it looks odd.

Powershell is easy. Open powershell then type

get-appxpackage

That will list all the apps MS installed to remove them all you need is the id and type

remove-appxpackage space then the package id and it removes it.

Wow that's really...unslick!

Anyone written a simple removal tool?

Do you also say the same thing about Linux when you need to drop to a bash shell? :p I have installed the update on my work desktop now and so far, so good. :)

Do you also say the same thing about Linux when you need to drop to a bash shell? :p I have installed the update on my work desktop now and so far, so good. :)

I do! That's one thing about Linux that totally annoys me. Since I started using Linux a few years ago, I've had to open a terminal at least twice and it's really annoying. :mad: I mean, okay fine, it's twice in like three plus years AND it's because Brother refuses to make a Debian package installer for their printer driver for the model of laser printer I own, but it IS silly. I guess it's not as bad with Mint as Windows 10 though since this is a 3rd party printer thing and not a native OS thing, but still, I did complain to my cat for like all three lines of text I had to copy from their website and paste into the shell. GRR!

Sheez, both my desktops are very fast. However, my Surface Pro One seems to leave even my desktops in the dust. The update is installing a lot faster and things load even faster on it. Core i5, 4GB of ram and a 128GB SSD. :)

I ran through the upgrade just over a month ago on a rebuild of an older laptop. I just had to keep doing windows updates until eventually it caught up to a point where the Win10 upgrade was offered. Windows Update, reboot, update and reboot, update and reboot, you get it.

The removal tool will only work on what it's written against. Powershell is really simple and works against any package you want to remove now, and later. The problem isn't the tool, it's your :D

Windows 10 can take a flying leap off the tallest building in the world into the deepest pit in the earth for all I care. Until Microsoft stops trying to act like big brother and spying like the NSA I don't give a rats arsehole about it. Windows 7 works just fine.

This is what I would like to see improved, haven't seen the update so I don't know how much of this it is going to fix yet.

First and foremost, I would like to see them straighten out DirectX so my older games will play without crashing all the time.

I would like my video playback to stop freezing and then trying to play catch-up, or failing in the attempt.

I would like to be able to Alt-Tab and such in NetFlix and other full-screen video as before. Things just don't work the same and require additional keystrokes for actions.

I want to be free of that new bullshit browser that keeps getting into the middle of things like when I click and embedded link in an email. I forget what it's called, Blur, whatever.

I don't know what Cortana is, don't care, but I bet I'd be happier without it.

And I used Powershell to clean out some of the default apps, I got carried away and did something wrong and screwed up the OS pretty good, had to start over. I'll have to try again but I am still gunshy, not sure the best way to prepare for recovery if I botch it again. Maybe a restore point?

Back