Intel Begins 3 Free Game Promotion

Slightly confused as World of Warships is a free to play?

I'm assuming it comes with some premium content. That'd be my best guess. Otherwise, it is just a ploy to include 3 games instead of just 2.

I was using our PC Hound system builder today when I noticed that the i7 processor I chose was eligible for Intel's 3 free game promotion. According to the promotion page, qualifying Intel Core i7 processors come with a master key that unlocks Counter Strike: Global Offensive, World of Warships and Just Cause 3. This deal runs until February 2016.

Sounds like they chose older or less demanding titles that would run OK on the iGPU :p

Why buy an i7 to play CS:GO? Trololol

Why play CS:GO at all? Trololololo further :p

I was a huge fan back in the original (beta 4 through 1.6) and early CS:S days and ran a few high profile public servers back then, but Counter-Strike these days just isn't a very good game.

Not only did they ruin part of it by introducing auto-matching, tradeable items, and customization like some silly Call of Modern Battlefield game, but better games exist now.

CS was great for its time, but has been completely eclipsed by more interesting games today.

Was looking at possibly getting a 5820k from Frys this week, and I can't tell if they are part of this promotion.... there is almost no info on Intel's site for this, fail.

Zarathustra[H];1041967363 said:

I was a huge fan back in the original (beta 4 through 1.6) and early CS:S days and ran a few high profile public servers back then, but Counter-Strike these days just isn't a very good game.

Not only did they ruin part of it by introducing auto-matching, tradeable items, and customization like some silly Call of Modern Battlefield game, but better games exist now.

CS was great for its time, but has been completely eclipsed by more interesting games today.

Seriously. What servers btw?

Seriously. What servers btw?

GamersArena.com / Yoda's Barn / "Offical" Umass CS Servers. I was involved from ~2000 to 2005 when I had been graduated for two years and could no longer keep up with them.

They had previously been top ranked Quake2 ladder servers, but that scene had started to die down. The previous guy who ran them (an OIT employee) installed Counter-Strike on one of them, and then I got involved and took them over.

Was a great community back then. People would continually drop off their old hardware at my dorm room, and I would upgrade, and build new servers, install linux on them, and then carry them down to the OIT offices and place them right next to the official Umass servers.

At the high point, I think we had 3 CS servers, one Natural Selection server, and one more. can't remember now. Team Fortress?

Was looking at possibly getting a 5820k from Frys this week, and I can't tell if they are part of this promotion.... there is almost no info on Intel's site for this, fail.

Yeah I tried to navigate around find out which CPUs were valid, etc, nothing, you can request to know who's part of the promotion but you need to get an email response of this? WTF, why wouldn't they just post it.

As for qualifying products, closest thing I could find is looking on NewEgg since they have it listed above the CPUs that qualify (3 games etc etc)

Zarathustra[H];1041967474 said:
GamersArena.com / Yoda's Barn / "Offical" Umass CS Servers. I was involved from ~2000 to 2005 when I had been graduated for two years and could no longer keep up with them.

They had previously been top ranked Quake2 ladder servers, but that scene had started to die down. The previous guy who ran them (an OIT employee) installed Counter-Strike on one of them, and then I got involved and took them over.

Was a great community back then. People would continually drop off their old hardware at my dorm room, and I would upgrade, and build new servers, install linux on them, and then carry them down to the OIT offices and place them right next to the official Umass servers.

At the high point, I think we had 3 CS servers, one Natural Selection server, and one more. can't remember now. Team Fortress?

Ah, the good ol' days when people were running servers off their employer's or school's hardware. :D I remember even sending money and old hardware to my favorite server admin to keep it going (Hunger For Blood, then helped admin Gates of Hell [CoH] server on the west coast).

Looks like you were east coast, so didn't go all the way out there. Definitely rose-colored glasses due to where I was at in life, but felt like a golden era in gaming.

Ah this is cool! Does it cover new i5 CPU's too? I'm looking at a 6600k for a new build next year, and getting Just Cause 3 for free with it would be pretty sweet!

Looks like you were east coast, so didn't go all the way out there. Definitely rose-colored glasses due to where I was at in life, but felt like a golden era in gaming.

Ditto, rose colored glasses indeed, but definitely many fond memories :)

It really hasn't. Not sure if serious. CSGO couldn't be any bigger, and the game is far better than CSS ever was. I still prefer 1.6, especially where movement is concerned, but GO has been improving steadily.

Also, there is no customization like MW. Don't know what you mean by that. The only similarity is in terms of weapon skins. Aside from that, you can't customize your weapon the way you can in the CoD games.

The skins are definitely an issue, though. They're also a big reason as to why CSGO is so popular, as there are borderline illegal gambling sites all over the place that partake in skin betting. You have a bunch of teenagers developing gambling problems at an early age.

Also, if you don't want automatic match making, you can always play on community servers. There are still numerous servers that are still around, where you can just go to have a bit of fun.

It really hasn't. Not sure if serious. CSGO couldn't be any bigger, and the game is far better than CSS ever was. I still prefer 1.6, especially where movement is concerned, but GO has been improving steadily.

Also, there is no customization like MW. Don't know what you mean by that. The only similarity is in terms of weapon skins. Aside from that, you can't customize your weapon the way you can in the CoD games.

Full disclosure, I've never played anything COD or Battlefield, so my comparison may be off. The skins are what I was referring to.

The skins are definitely an issue, though. They're also a big reason as to why CSGO is so popular, as there are borderline illegal gambling sites all over the place that partake in skin betting. You have a bunch of teenagers developing gambling problems at an early age.

I just find them annoying, unrealistic, and the constant nagging to trade and other behaviors in people it drives, makes me not want to play.

Also, if you don't want automatic match making, you can always play on community servers. There are still numerous servers that are still around, where you can just go to have a bit of fun.

Yeah, but most of them spend most of their time empty.

In the past you were FORCED to find a community server, and then over time you built a community around the server you played on, with regulars. The matchmaking system makes it easy to just enter a random game, and people are lazy, so most of them never look for a community server, leading many/moat good ones to slowly die off.

I know you can add friends and try to automatch games with them, but that just isn't the same .

I also don't care for the simplifications in casual mode, and don't care much for all the competitive mode and ranking stuff.

That, and from a nostalgic perspective I don't really appreciate the chnages made to some maps.

Overall, I personally think I liked CS:S better than GO, and enjoyed the original the most, (though I think I most fondly remember the ~ beta 8 through 1.1 period)

That being said, I just don't care for twitchy games anymore. One of the original reasons I picked up CS back in the day was because it was more realistic than most FPS games at the time.

These days when I go back, compared to the likes of - for instance - Red Orchestra, it feels kind of silly.

maybe intel should release CPU's with more than 5-10% incremental IPC and up the mainstream core counts.

I'm on sandy and will stay with it.

Ah, the good ol' days when people were running servers off their employer's or school's hardware. :D I remember even sending money and old hardware to my favorite server admin to keep it going (Hunger For Blood, then helped admin Gates of Hell [CoH] server on the west coast).

Oh, and to be fair, I never used any School hardware, unless you count the switch I plugged into in the main IT server room :p

Just their electricity and bandwidth, and a few square feet of floor space under a desk :p

This was during the Napster era, and Umass was struggling with keeping up with bandwidth. Dorms had only just started being wired with Ethernet internet access in 99 (I was lucky to be in one of the first to get it). Before that, the only way to get internet in your dorm was through a "TAU" unit, which apparently was like a modem, but for digital phone systems. So they were still figuring out how to manage the network such that official traffic still got through, with the explosive growth in entertainment/piracy traffic.

It was kind of a win-win. We got to put our servers in the offical server room near the center of the hub, and thus would be equidistant from everyone on campus, in addition to being right near the campus edge router. In exchange the head of the network got to keep some traffic on campus, that otherwise would have eaten up his precious OC48 dark fiber line :p

I think he might have overestimated the impact of gaming packets on overall traffic, but I wasn't about to point that out :p

Ah this is cool! Does it cover new i5 CPU's too? I'm looking at a 6600k for a new build next year, and getting Just Cause 3 for free with it would be pretty sweet!

It should based upon where you get it from.

That said, I think saving $20+ on a CPU from any sales is much more worth it than the free games and paying full price.

eh CS:GO is the #1 played FPS nowadays in NA/EU

Zarathustra[H];1041969408 said:
Oh, and to be fair, I never used any School hardware, unless you count the switch I plugged into in the main IT server room :p

Just their electricity and bandwidth, and a few square feet of floor space under a desk :p

This was during the Napster era, and Umass was struggling with keeping up with bandwidth. Dorms had only just started being wired with Ethernet internet access in 99 (I was lucky to be in one of the first to get it). Before that, the only way to get internet in your dorm was through a "TAU" unit, which apparently was like a modem, but for digital phone systems. So they were still figuring out how to manage the network such that official traffic still got through, with the explosive growth in entertainment/piracy traffic.

It was kind of a win-win. We got to put our servers in the offical server room near the center of the hub, and thus would be equidistant from everyone on campus, in addition to being right near the campus edge router. In exchange the head of the network got to keep some traffic on campus, that otherwise would have eaten up his precious OC48 dark fiber line :p

I think he might have overestimated the impact of gaming packets on overall traffic, but I wasn't about to point that out :p

You're a more honest man than we were...one of our clanmates was definitely running our 24/7 full CS server off his employer's backbone. It was incredible, I could get sub-10 ping to that thing.

That's the other thing I've noticed too with multiplayer FPS nowadays; seems like pings average 60-100 ms. Used to be in CS anything over 50 was nearly unacceptable.

eh CS:GO is the #1 played FPS nowadays in NA/EU

Well, you know what they say about the lowest common denominator :p

Though that probably applies to COD/Battlefield. CS:GO is a half a step above that, if for no other reason than that it was the original game of its type.

Zarathustra[H];1041970300 said:
Well, you know what they say about the lowest common denominator :p

Though that probably applies to COD/Battlefield. CS:GO is a half a step above that, if for no other reason than that it was the original game of its type.

Duke 3D multiplayer, Quake....

Back