Pandora Wants To Add An Offline Mode?

HardOCP News

[H] News
While this sounds like a great idea, I have a feeling the music industry will have something to say about it if Pandora tries to implement an offline mode.

The comments came in response to a question posed to several mobile companies on a panel, including Pandora and the mobile sports ticket service Gametime. “It’s something we’re looking at,” said Lisa Sullivan-Cross, vice president of growth marketing at Pandora. “It’s on our minds.” Asked after the panel for more details, Sullivan-Cross declined to add much. “We know our customers want it,” she told Forbes. “I don’t know if or when.”

Spotify can do it right now. For that matter, since Spotify worked out the kinks, I don't think I've even touched Pandora.

I still prefer Pandora's algorithm to any of the other "auto-DJ"ing services out there. I love the idea of the RIAA shitting themselves over this.

Pandora is all I use. Spotify is on par with iTunes in my opinion. As such I treat it like the plague. Pandora works well enough for me I even pay. I do wish I could have multiple shuffle lists set up but oh well.

While this sounds like a great idea, I have a feeling the music industry will have something to say about it if Pandora tries to implement an offline mode.

The comments came in response to a question posed to several mobile companies on a panel, including Pandora and the mobile sports ticket service Gametime. “It’s something we’re looking at,” said Lisa Sullivan-Cross, vice president of growth marketing at Pandora. “It’s on our minds.” Asked after the panel for more details, Sullivan-Cross declined to add much. “We know our customers want it,” she told Forbes. “I don’t know if or when.”

ITS CALLED A MP3

Spotify is on par with iTunes in my opinion. As such I treat it like the plague.

:confused:

Spotify is sleek, streamlined, great acoss multiple devices, easy to use, unobtrusive, and has a small footprint. How is it anything like iTunes and/or plague-like?

I would like that. I only use Pandora when I am on WiFi, but being able to use it in Offline mode while on 4G would be awesome.

Just not sure how it would implement that. How often it would need to connect to the Internet to get a new list of songs.

If you have to pick/choose which songs you want in Offline mode then forget that. I don't even have time to create a playlist of MP3s.

Pandora is all I use. Spotify is on par with iTunes in my opinion. As such I treat it like the plague. Pandora works well enough for me I even pay. I do wish I could have multiple shuffle lists set up but oh well.
Just create another radio.

:confused:

Spotify is sleek, streamlined, great acoss multiple devices, easy to use, unobtrusive, and has a small footprint. How is it anything like iTunes and/or plague-like?
Probably one of those people who claim Spotify is social media.. But hasn't ever used it.

To be fair I last tried it about 3 years ago. It felt as sluggish as iTunes, looks damn near identical and I wasn't fond of them wanting a Facebook tie in even if not required.

I've never had Spotify prompt me to connect with Facebook on mobile or PC. I think you can make an account using one, but that's the end of it. Otherwise it's still nothing like the boggy and redundant iTunes, trust me - I loathe iTunes.

I still prefer Pandora's algorithm to any of the other "auto-DJ"ing services out there. I love the idea of the RIAA shitting themselves over this.

This is the only reason I still have both Pandora and Spotify.

Anytime I just want to put a "station" on and relax or at a party, its the only way to go. With Spotify it ends up playing songs from the same 5 bands over and over, and the user lists are shit.

I've never had Spotify prompt me to connect with Facebook on mobile or PC. I think you can make an account using one, but that's the end of it. Otherwise it's still nothing like the boggy and redundant iTunes, trust me - I loathe iTunes.

If you were a early adopter, or had a UK account before it came to the US you can use a standard password. Otherwise, a few months after it came to the us really the only way you can sign up easily is through facebook or twitter. this is why people think it's social, although you can turn all of that off.

Remember, most people here think every company is spying on you for the government or RIAA/SPA/NSA. Just learn to ignore it.

If you were a early adopter, or had a UK account before it came to the US you can use a standard password. Otherwise, a few months after it came to the us really the only way you can sign up easily is through facebook or twitter. this is why people think it's social, although you can turn all of that off.

Remember, most people here think every company is spying on you for the government or RIAA/SPA/NSA. Just learn to ignore it.

When i signed up for my gmail account 13 years ago, i never expected that someday it would be posting information about me automatically on google+. When i signed up for hotmail in 2000, i never imagined it would end up showing my real name to other people playing on the current gaming console. Im a futurist in every sense of the word, but requiring a social account to sign up is fucking retarded and is hard to control. You need some perspective.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I signed up earlier this year, no FB required.

An offline mode would be a really good idea! Then you could have this device that has music stored on it that you like and it could play that music back without a connection to the Internet for you to enjoy anywhere as long as you have batteries for it. That'd be a huge technological advancement and really shake up the music industry!

Because you could walk around with it and market it to guys. You could call it a Walking Man..or maybe shorten the name so its easier to say like...um...Walkman? Naaah, who would even buy something like that? I'd never work! Go away Pandora, you're being stupid.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I signed up earlier this year, no FB required.

Yeah it's not, but it used to be obscured (read the page) But for a minute the internet hated Spotify for requiring a facebook account, even though it didn't. They've since made it obvious. Kind of like how people to this day claim Windows 8 and 10 require a Microsoft account when it doesn't.

Back