The Man Who Made "The World’s First Personal Computer"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Kenbak-1 is up for auction, and this article goes a little bit into its history. It kind of reminds me of an video or audio switcher.

Back in 1970, Mr. Blankenbaker, then a computer engineer and consultant, put together his machine at his home in Brentwood, California. "I came into a little money and decided it was time to build a small computer that could be afforded by everyone," he tells me. "It did not use any microprocessors, and I did the work in my garage."

Doesn't matter if it's the "first", still won't sell for as much as the first "Apple" computers.

That's not even close to the "first" personal computer. Generally the Olivetti Programma 101 is considered the first commercial programmable PC, as in a standalone computer made for one user and capable of running different user selectable software, selling over 40k units in the US starting in 1965.

That's not even close to the "first" personal computer. Generally the Olivetti Programma 101 is considered the first commercial programmable PC, as in a standalone computer made for one user and capable of running different user selectable software, selling over 40k units in the US starting in 1965.

That was a good read, thanks! Always interested in learning more!

That was a good read, thanks! Always interested in learning more!
I watched a documentary on it months ago in honor of its release 50 years ago. While I might have read about it in the past, I had pretty much forgotten about it. :p

The development of it at Olivetti is somewhat mirrored in the first season of Halt and Catch Fire.

If it doesn't really run programs exactly, I'm not sure I would call it a personal computer. Like the guy who invented said, it was more an educational tool. No stored programs.

I'm not sure I would think it deserves a "personal computer" denotation.

First "Commercial" yes. First "Personal" no.

Doesn't matter if it's the "first", still won't sell for as much as the first "Apple" computers.

I'd pay more (if I had enough) for an Apple I than this one. Not that it's any better, but because it's the more mainstream, well known one. I have no shame on that. I'd love to get one, have Woz sign it, and have it in a display case. Fuck yea, I would.

Well, wherever he fits in to the grander story, and whatever abilities his device represents, I am glad to hear Mr. Blankenbaker's story. He just went out and did it. Major respect. Especially seeing he didn't have the Motorola 6502 and had to connect all those jumper wires to make the thing work at all.

I thought the guzunda was really the first personal computer? bitmapped screens made computers actually made them user friendly.

Back