Google Seeks Android Chip Partners

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, Google is working with chip manufacturers to co-develop processors for Android phones.

Google recently talked with some microchip makers about developing chips based on Google's own preferred designs, part of a push by the company to bring more uniformity to the fragmented universe of Android phones. That, Google hopes, would make its Android mobile operating system more competitive with Apple’s phones at the high end of the market and solve other major problems.

More competitive? Last time I checked, Android had over 80% of the worldwide smartphone market.

Much as I dislike Apple, I'm made uncomfortable by modern businesses believing the only way to "win" is to destroy their enemies. That certainly never results in a win for consumers.

More competitive? Last time I checked, Android had over 80% of the worldwide smartphone market.

Much as I dislike Apple, I'm made uncomfortable by modern businesses believing the only way to "win" is to destroy their enemies. That certainly never results in a win for consumers.

Google wants some of that Apple-like phone money. Instead of letting Samsung and other make it instead.

I don't see a problem with the iOS vs Android device situation.

Generally Apple's products have a significant price premium (vs segment average), few configurations and zero user expandability (pricing out larger capacity devices for most users). Those things limits Apple's share of the smartphone market to people who are willing to pay a premium for a limited selection and live with potentially small capacity devices. OTOH, Apple has a very loyal base for repeat purchases, and makes very healthy profits on those products.

Apple can change its market share by aligning more with market demands, but this isn't a situation where Google is out to destroy Apple. Apple positions itself as a premium manufacturer while the market is moving more to mainstream commodity buyers. The market is working pretty smoothly IMO.

Back to the original point, specifying minimal SoC components isn't even novel. MS did that with RT devices a couple of years ago.

Back