‘Halo 5: Guardians’ Smashes Record With Biggest Halo Launch In History

HardOCP News

[H] News
One week after launching worldwide, “Halo 5: Guardians” has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to date, with more than $400 million in global sales of “Halo 5: Guardians” games and hardware, pushing the franchise to over $5 billion lifetime. With the highest week one attach rate for a Microsoft first-party title on Xbox One, the game was the most played of any game on Xbox One, as well as the most played on Xbox Live.

“The success of ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ is a testament to the innovative work from the entire team at 343 Industries to bring this installment to Xbox One and the incredible community of fans who have come to love the story, characters and gameplay central to the franchise,” said Phil Spencer, head of Xbox. “The game represents all the possibilities of Xbox One and has earned its place as the anchor title in the greatest holiday games lineup in Xbox history.”

Excellent, I would imagine there are some big smiles going on right about now. However, I have not bought the game because I have enough games at this time anyways. I really don't have the time to play games like I once did many years ago.

And the good part about that is the multiplayer worked day one without issues, showing they fixed all the multiplayer issues that MCC had.

I watched a campaign playthrough last week since I don't own a console, and it was a good game with impressive visuals and audio. It definitely felt more like halo1-2.

I don't have an XBox One but everyone I've talked to who has actually played has told me the same thing: all the cool shit you should be playing through happens in cut scenes. But thinking back that's pretty much how Halo rolls. You fight to get to the climax but the climax itself is just a movie of you doing the thing you should've been allowed to play.

I'll pass.

I don't have an XBox One but everyone I've talked to who has actually played has told me the same thing: all the cool shit you should be playing through happens in cut scenes. But thinking back that's pretty much how Halo rolls. You fight to get to the climax but the climax itself is just a movie of you doing the thing you should've been allowed to play.

I'll pass.

Disagree. The coolest moment in all the Halos is in Halo 3. When you can fly a ghost straight into a scarab, blow it up, and run out.

No split screen multiplayer; no buy. If it is offered for PC, as was teased a few weeks ago, I might be persuaded to change my tune.

No numbers given for number of copies sold...just a "Grand Total" including all of the SE consoles, CONTROLLERS, and DLC sold. FAIL!

No split screen multiplayer; no buy. If it is offered for PC, as was teased a few weeks ago, I might be persuaded to change my tune.

PC games don't have split screen multiplayer either

Well, they would have had to scale the graphics back probably so much that it became unplayable. I can imagine the graphics are probably borderline unplayable on the XboxOne anyways.

No numbers given for number of copies sold...just a "Grand Total" including all of the SE consoles, CONTROLLERS, and DLC sold. FAIL!

Yeah if the UK sales numbers are anything to go by -- the 2nd largest demographic in sales behind the US, historically -- then Halo5 is the worst selling game in the franchise. It would also explain why MS are including all hardware related sales of Halo peripherals count towards total sales of...Halo (eg, bundles, halo controller, Xbox bundle, halo peripherals,etc) and why MS isn't releasing sales/player numbers like they have for every Halo in the past.

Me thinks the Halo franchise is going the way of the dinosaur.

You do know that halo 5 only been out for a week and a half, right? And the holiday season isnt upon us yet.

You do know that halo 5 only been out for a week and a half, right? And the holiday season isnt upon us yet.

Like I said if the Uk sales are indicative of the US sales then it is the worst selling Halo in the series, by quite a lot. We are talking first week sales here.

Like I said if the Uk sales are indicative of the US sales then it is the worst selling Halo in the series, by quite a lot. We are talking first week sales here.

Damn, some of you guys can't stop hating on anything that MS does.Hey, the game is fun and the franchise is over 5 billion in total sales and Halo 5 is the most sold digital title ever on the Xbox live store but my local toys-r-us only sold 20 copies so the game sucks.

Damn, some of you guys can't stop hating on anything that MS does.Hey, the game is fun and the franchise is over 5 billion in total sales and Halo 5 is the most sold digital title ever on the Xbox live store but my local toys-r-us only sold 20 copies so the game sucks.

Agreed

I'll pass.

What you are describing is pretty much EVERY game made. Final fantasy normally has hours of cut scenes, metal gear solid from what I hear is about 1 hour of cut scenes per 30 minutes gameplay, what little bit I have played any call of duty cut scenes you have cut scenes like that... That is just the nature of games. Have big climax be a cut scene to make sure it plays out how you want. Been playing through all the assassin creed games recently since I own 1 - 4 but haven't played them till now. Playing through regulations now. Lost count of the times you get to some point then it switches to a cut scene foe the rest of that part. Having played halo 5, didn't think cut scenes where used any differently than every other game out there.

Not hating .. but split screen co-op was the only reason I "was" looking forward to Halo 5. I'll probably still buy it at some point when it's like $20 or so .. or maybe a Gold member freebie

Back