Facebook Prods Users To Share A Bit More

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ugh, Facebook sounds like a needy ex-girlfriend....WHY WON'T YOU SHARE MORE WITH ME!!!!! Maybe people are sharing less because Facebook constantly bugs them "share."

Surveys show users post less often on the social network, which relies on users for an overwhelming majority of its content. In the third quarter, market researcher GlobalWebIndex said 34% of Facebook users updated their status, and 37% shared their own photos, down from 50% and 59%, respectively, in the same period a year earlier.

Ugh, Facebook sounds like a needy ex-girlfriend....

LOL, its so annoying how much Facebook wants their users to share this and share that but then again how else are they going to make money off other people's content?

Looks like an interesting read. Too bad it wants me to subscribe. Guess I'll just have to pass.

I'm not going to pay a subscription for the off link that points to the wall street journal, here or on Facebook.

I'm against anything that data mines me individually. Unfortunately it appears I'm in a losing battle.

What's funny is that thing where they want you to share a "memory", and pick a random picture you posted years ago. I post weird/random crap on Facebook sometimes, like a project I did around the house, or a closeup of a spider to freak my family out etc.

I get this picture of a spider show up "Share your memory with your friends!". If everyone actually did do this, Facebook in 5 years from now would be a bunch of people posting memories about their memories. *insert that meme image of the dude "so we put a memory of your memory"*

Only short sighted people use Facebook.

If I was a teenager I would probably be on FB though, to hook up. But I think tinder does even that better.

My Facebook feed is a pain to read through recently. It's filled with two day old viral links, videos, and jokes, sports posts, and less and less I see actual status posts from my friends (unless it's an Instagram to Facebook post). Really dislike it recently but leaving is difficult when people use it for event invites and stuff like that.

Maybe FB's downward spiral has begun?
No, there will always be a basic need for a platform through which we can maintain connections. Back in the 90s, did you keep an address book of everyone you met and befriended? Facebook is a well-designed platform that extends the scope of your audience beyond your local municipality and region with ease. Yes, it comes at a price: your information. But, that is naturally the price for any good thing. Centralization is both good and bad, but this is really the only way humanity will move forward for the better or worse.

If you don't agree with it -- hey, I'm not telling you that you are wrong or should change your opinion. I for one like what Facebook has to offer. If you think you have remotely any sense of privacy, then I think you are behind the times and haven't realized yet that privacy (and the concept thereof) only existed in the 19th century and is most definitely extinct as of the 21st century. Might as well embrace it, enjoy your life, and take advantage of the wonderful things available.

I met my wife through Facebook. :D

I think it's falling out of popularity a tad. Out of five people I had in a group project, I was the only one with a facebook profile and I update once a year at the holidays.

My Facebook feed is a pain to read through recently. It's filled with two day old viral links, videos, and jokes, sports posts, and less and less I see actual status posts from my friends (unless it's an Instagram to Facebook post). Really dislike it recently but leaving is difficult when people use it for event invites and stuff like that.

I deactivated my Facebook profile years ago, and the only inconvenience has been the fact I miss the event invites. It's more inconvenient for the people who actually have to call me I suppose.

I just feel like I don't want or need to exist on the Internet. It's not even a privacy concern, I just find it tiresome. I can't be the only one that feels that way.

Definitely not alone.

Though very currently very popular, like anything else seems at least some people are starting to get tired of FB and some might be looking for the "next best thing". Eventually unless FB keeps changing to keep public interest and improving their mass social algorithms to herd people where it is profitable, they will level off, maybe even shrink. Probably will spur buying off more startups.

I'm tired of people using Facebook as their multi-level marketing tool.

I'm tired of all the posts that this celebrity died, or this person said this without ever fact checking their data. I reply links to Snopes at least once a week.

Also sick of seeing 'click bait' headlines. "This happened, and you wouldn't believe what happened next!"

If I'm being marketed as a product, I think I should at least get a share of the profits.

That said Facebook does nothing for me. I was into it for a while until I realized it was as active as my social life. Then I got sick of it nagging me more than my wife to come and spend time with it.

Back