Drone Autonomously Avoiding Obstacles At 30 MPH

I liked the little one in terminator 3, shooting missiles the size of carrots.

Why has the term "drone" been slapped on any and everything R/C?

I as a pilot myself just roll with it. I compare it to calling certain rifles "assault rifles". Just what the media runs with and sometimes just easier instead of fighting the waves.

Same design as guidance system used on ballistic missles

That said, this design is far more advanced, as current missile systems rely on GPS/Satellites as well as internal maps in order to navigate, and they do it always 200ft above whatever they're flying over and they plan out their approach far in advance

This is doing it on the fly and incredibly faster, as its mapping is approach corridor on the fly and can react to close range objects

What this means to me as a weapon is that enemy vehicles that hide in dense forests can now be marked, tagged and have the drone fly towards them FAR away without the attackers getting any harm

Imagine something like this whizzing alone between buildings attacking targets

Now they'll invent a type of drone that drops/attaches GPS units onto vehicles so they can fly these into forests and take out enemies. That's my thinking anyways looking at the big picture of this.

I really like the POV of the autonomous plane, looks like something straight out of a video game lol. Cool stuff here

Why has the term "drone" been slapped on any and everything R/C?

I would normally totally agree with you on the overuse of the word "drone". In this case, the fact that the plane is autonomous makes it one of the few instances that the term drone actually applies.

Back