The Decay of Twitter

HardOCP News

[H] News
This headline makes it sound as though this is something unexpected. Has the business side of Twitter ever NOT been in a state of decay?

On Tuesday, Twitter Inc. announced another dreary set of quarterly earnings. While the company beat investor expectations, it’s still running at a loss of $132 million after taxes. Its fourth-quarter projections seem low. Worst of all, its namesake product has essentially failed to add any active American users in 2015. Twitter stock fell more than 10 percent after the announcement.

As like as twits still think that the world really gives a shit about all the inane details of their life twitter will stick around in some way or another.

Been waiting for the 'market correction' for a bit.. I think the more time passes, the more it will look like a 'meltdown'.
I guess its getting harder to pass the loses to the 401k's and pension plans, since they probably have not recuperated enough since the last 'market correction'.

Not surprising, there are so many overvalued "unicorn" tech companies right now it's ridiculous.

Been waiting for the 'market correction' for a bit.. I think the more time passes, the more it will look like a 'meltdown'.
I guess its getting harder to pass the loses to the 401k's and pension plans, since they probably have not recuperated enough since the last 'market correction'.

Well if you've ever been to their building it's like they're just bursting with money, they have the "play rooms" the fancy chef cooking for everyone, etc, a bit like google on a smaller scale. I mean they should be in the basement with those horrible white/blue flickering fluorescent tubes with everyone in a tiny cubical, they should not be partying like money is being printed.

Not surprising, there are so many overvalued "unicorn" tech companies right now it's ridiculous.

It;s the natural reaction to the state of investing. There's very little that is worth buying on its own relative to offerings in various markets, and there's virtually none when compared to the quantity of investment dollars that need to be someplace.

Staying in an investment (for the most part) means your money isn't growing. That's the same as a loss. The money has to go someplace, so the market isn't about value, but about what light is shiniest to attract the biggest cloud of moths to the flame. You are betting on the flow of moths, not the nature of the light.

It's not just tech companies, everything is overvalued.

It's not just tech companies, everything is overvalued.

That's what happens when the Fed dumps trillions of dollars into the economy, the money has to go somewhere. They've dumped enough to re-inflate the housing market and over-inflate the stock market.
Once everything starts to pop, it's going to be worse than 2008.

I really like Twitter but monetizing I don't think is as easy as some other social media because the point is to be short and sweet.

I really like Twitter but monetizing I don't think is as easy as some other social media because the point is to be short and sweet.
You can't monetize it. Most everything is available to be data mined by external entities.

I am not sure what Twitter actually gains you over other social media ... Facebook has so much stuff (and even more users) and it is actually a healthy company ... All my friends are on Facebook, not Twitter ... I have chat, games, and tons of sites I can collect info from in my daily feed ...

I think when social media was in its infancy there was more of a place for Twitter ... but now that Facebook is doing well and there are so many other specialized social media (redit, instagram, youtube, linkedin, pinterest, etc) I don't think there is as much of a niche for the short pithy Tweets (especially since you can do the equivalent in most of the other sites)

It pretty natural for things like this to fade in and out of popularity. Twitter will end up just like any other social media. People will always find something cool and move to that. But I don't see it going away just yet.

This headline makes it sound as though this is something unexpected. Has the business side of Twitter ever NOT been in a state of decay?

On Tuesday, Twitter Inc. announced another dreary set of quarterly earnings. While the company beat investor expectations, it’s still running at a loss of $132 million after taxes. Its fourth-quarter projections seem low. Worst of all, its namesake product has essentially failed to add any active American users in 2015. Twitter stock fell more than 10 percent after the announcement.

I really don't think we can conclude much from that quarter. It was a quarter where they had, at most, a temporary CEO. The next few quarters are where they have to turn things around.

Back