Pew Research: Technology Device Ownership 2015

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Phones reign, but it's impressive how the MP3 player is managing to hang in there.

Today, 78% of adults under 30 own a laptop or desktop computer, compared with 88% who did so in 2010. Smartphone ownership, on the other hand, has surpassed both of these devices, with 86% of 18- to 29-year-olds owning one in 2015. In other words, as smartphones came to prominence several years ago, younger owners perhaps did not feel as much of a need as their older peers to have other kinds of devices.

eh not too surprising lots of people like the portability of the Apple Nano_Itouch_gold_siri edition or whatever.

There are many work environments where employers don't allow smartphones, like all Government and Military classified facilities. Many of them will allow an ipod as long as it doesn't have any wireless/Bluetooth radios. An MP3 player without the radios is classified as a PED or Portable Electronic Device, but a Smartphone is classified as a PCD, Portable Computing Device, and is treated as a much greater security risk.

I'm seeing a point in the not so distant future where smartphones will be the main/only computing device for most people. Come home and plug it into a docking station with screens and keyboard/mouse, and even play games (video card in the docking station?). Then unplug and take on the go.

In my opinion desktops/laptops will only be for people doing extreme (data) intensive computing in the future. Kind of why privacy on smartphones is more important of an issue than it's being treated today.

M$ is already headed in that direction strongly with Continuum, (as is Nintendo, on the gaming side of things).

Sucks that those devices appear to be exclusives for AT&T and to me it also sucks because MS and Google phones are basically spyware, in my opinion. So that only leaves me with the option of Apple in the future unless they end up spying on everyone's every single keystroke as well. Hoping someone stays on the high road.

Wanna take bets on when Google and Apple follow suit?
Within two years if they take their time. Everyone will be doing it sooner or later though.

Back