Nintendo Unveils Its First Smartphone Game "Miitomo"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’ll just point out that Nintendo’s share price dropped 10 percent immediately after its unveiling.

Miitomo is a "communication application that helps friends share fun personal facts and interests," the Japanese company said in a statement. Players will create avatars called Miis that they can use to engage with friends to learn more about each other and find common interests.

So Nintendo has the chance to do a mobile Mario, zelda, pokemon, Metroid game and they go with Miitomo...

Yar, kinda strange game to launch with. It sounds like a version of Habbo Hotel except with Miis. Even a endless runner using Miis probably would've generated more positive feedback than Miitomo.

Personally, I think their Pokemon franchise would've been a perfect for the mobile market. Classic Pokemon gameplay combined with mmo-like social features? Sure winner there.

IMO, nintendo needs to step away from wii, mii, and that whole naming scheme/style. It may have been cute to casuals in 2006, but I think most don't really care for it.

IMO, nintendo needs to step away from wii, mii, and that whole naming scheme/style. It may have been cute to casuals in 2006, but I think most don't really care for it.

Yar, agreed there. Not sure if it's a popular naming brand in Japan, but a new naming scheme for the Western market would be a good move.

Ever since going to the Wi it has been a STRAIGHT downward slope.

You come from making legends like Mario to making stupid shit like Wi Fit for dumbasses that want an excuse to call things an exercise.

You come from making legends like Mario to making stupid shit like Wi Fit for dumbasses that want an excuse to call things an exercise.

The original Wii did really well. It's the Wii U that tanked.

I'm not sure how Wii Fit activities are not exercising? It's certainly better than twiddling your thumbs on an Xbox controller. You seem awfully angry that people like to exercise in different ways. :rolleyes:

lol @ that wii fit rage.. I don't like the wiimotes either, but, I don't think gamers are necessarily the target demographic for them. Still casual users and children.

I thought they were Miiyamotos. I wonder if Shigeru Miyamoto would approve.

Nintendo needs to just disconnect from the Internet and go into the dunce corner for being so god damn stupid with their whole approach to online gaming.

This is someone who has clearly never tried Wii Fit U. Some of those mini games will kick people's asses.

The original Wii did really well. It's the Wii U that tanked.:

sure, with old people and casuals. the wii had, by far, the lowest software purchases per console last gen, meaning lots of people bought the wii then didnt buy many games for it.

the wii was successful when it came to hardware sales, but it flopped everywhere else.

plus a lot of its big software sales were stolen from the gamecube.

the wii sucked, and the wii u... the wii u is just lazy.

I agree 100%. Its like they keep trying to push it more and more but always feels so stupid and childish.

Honestly the strength of Nintendo has always been the excellent games they produce; even though they are mostly for kids. Their strength is not hardware. So to play on this strength; if they ported their best titles to other platforms, that would be a win and if they ported many of their games to Android that would be a win also. Modern Arm SoC have plenty of power to run these.
Just a thought.........

Back