Amazon May Launch Its Own Clothing Brand

HardOCP News

[H] News
Would you wear clothes made by Amazon?

“For Amazon, we know our customers love brands, many of the brands in this room…and that’s where the lion’s share of our business comes from,” Amazon Fashion’s vice president of clothing Jeff Yurcisin said. “When we see gaps — when certain brands have actually decided for their own reasons not to sell with us — our customer still wants a product like that.”

I don't know about clothing, but I just bought some cheap Amazon brand computer speakers, keyboards, and mice for work.

“When we see gaps — when certain brands have actually decided for their own reasons not to sell with us — our customer still wants a product like that.”

Aka: XYZ a popular brand and doesn't want to sell to us so we'll just make a knock off version of their product and sell it to people instead.

Isn't this what patents/copyrights/etc are supposed to prevent?

does Walmart have there own brand? think they do would make since for Amazon to as well

I think a lot of people just don't buy clothes online. Took me a while to start buying shoes online, if they sold decent cloth for cheap I would try it for sure.

Please create some pants that give crotch room!!!!!!!! This stupid skinny low waste line is a pain in the balls. I miss my painter pants.

People judge you on what you wear.
If they can identify the cost bracket easily, you may suffer more noses in the air.
For that reason Amazon would do well to not put an identifying logo on the outside.

The products I've used from the amazon basics line so far have been a pretty good value. This is also a line they have done a lot of expansion in so it doesn't surprise me that they would try to go further and do clothes.

I might consider some stuff in the line depending on what it is and the price.

Yeah, those Amazon Fire Briefs are going to be so sexy.

Aka: XYZ a popular brand and doesn't want to sell to us so we'll just make a knock off version of their product and sell it to people instead.

Isn't this what patents/copyrights/etc are supposed to prevent?
They aren't making knockoff versions. They're just proposing to make similar clothing which is hard to claim infringement. If Amazon was creating clothes that says Tommy Hilfiger, then you probably have a point. However clothes in general are hard to enforce in terms of trademark infringement when manufacturers drop the label. Amazon is proposing inferior or equal products that gives consumers another option to choose from.

Amazon, stahp. Enough already, we don't need your phones, your streaming devices, or any other amazon branded goods. Stick to selling stuff and being awesome at it, that's all we need. You're becoming "that guy" who tries to hard to be everybody's friend. We like you just the way you are. You don't need to cook us dinner, or pick up our dry cleaning, or offer up a kidney. We're already bros, but this relationship is starting to get uncomfortable.

hah well at least they're trying new things, and they might fail 100 times until they find another AWS to make even more money.

Amazon Basic?

For all those basic... bitc ... uh ...yeah...

Eh, why not. I'm not saying they're good looking or designer, but Costco has Kirkland Signature clothes.

Maybe a crossdressing line to tie-in with their "Transparent" circus show

People judge you on what you wear.
If they can identify the cost bracket easily, you may suffer more noses in the air.
For that reason Amazon would do well to not put an identifying logo on the outside.

Definitely true on this. I wouldn't buy shit if it had an Amazon logo visible on it. Most of my wardrobe is from www.llbean.com (I buy in the local store) and all the clothes are unmarked on the outside.

I've bought some of Costco's clothing and been pretty happy with it. Hoodies and polo shirts and stuff. I could see it working out for Amazon if they keep it simple like that.

If it's comfy, and looks nice, it's got my money. But I don't buy clothes online period...need to try shit on. Maybe they could find a re-seller.

Amazon is in the best position to do things like this. The data they can collect has so much marketing value it is ridiculous. They can see what people add to cart and then delete and actually buy, what people search for, price trends and sales trends etc. Probably one of the few companys that can actually say and mean 'we know what our customers want'.

I'd be 100% in for Amazon to do their own clothing line as long as they're of decent quality and look nice. In fact, for someone who's terminally unfashionable when not at work or going out, I'd like for Amazon to make recommendations based on an item I purchase for things that'd go well with it. Maybe I could just subscribe to Amazon Fashion and have them send me boxes with complete outfits sort of how Nutri System (or whatever its called) sends packaged, planned meals to chunky people trying to lose weight.

We can only hope they do for clothes the same thing they've done to tablets. Crash the base price into the ground. Clothes are the most overpriced thing anyone buys, shoes that cost $9 to make are priced at $150. T-shirts cost about $1 to make are priced at $20 (or massively more if you attach a label).

We can only hope they do for clothes the same thing they've done to tablets. Crash the base price into the ground. Clothes are the most overpriced thing anyone buys, shoes that cost $9 to make are priced at $150. T-shirts cost about $1 to make are priced at $20 (or massively more if you attach a label).

Actually that's like a really big misconception. The clothing industry is pretty competitive and like, it's easy for people to substitute one product for another. Like, for example, "This jacket is nice, but I can just slum it in a hoodie instead," so the per unit profit isn't very high on an item after all the expenses are taken into account. It's typically like a few cents on each dollar for any given item. Even the higher end brands (excluding designer stuff) don't really make a lot of money and hafta rely on higher sales volumes.

Back