Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play

HardOCP News

[H] News
I've seen plenty of games go free-to-play but I think this is the first time I've seen the opposite happen. Do any of you even play Quake Live?

The Quake Live website reveals that id Software's multiplayer shooter is now exclusively available on Steam, and now carries a $9.99 price tag, a surprising increase of infinity for what had been a free-to-play game. This announcement does not specifically address the price jump, but it does explain the Steamworks functions that are now part of the game.

Do any of you even play Quake Live?

Only if I wanted a nostalgia hit. I look at 90s golden age of PC gaming FPSs with a mix of nostalgia and revulsion. Nice to revisit, wouldn't wanna live there.

I played it for about 5 minutes, then uninstalled it. It's just a port of Quake 3 in 2010 without any major improvements.

I used to enjoy twitch FPS, but then I got older and slower :D Now they have far too much competition.

I guess this means that even less people will play quake live.

I played it once for about 10 minutes, it's Quake 3 and that's it. If you're already sick of Quake 3, or have played any of the more modern, more interesting arena games there is little to recommend it. But then again, I love Titan Fall so what do I know.

Do any of you even play Quake Live?

I hadn't even heard of it before this post.

That being said, Quake isn't really my kind of game. Haven't paid attention to anything ID software since the late 90's.

That's a weird change. Wonder if anything else is in store for it, and if so why raise the price before hand.

I used to enjoy twitch FPS, but then I got older and slower :D Now they have far too much competition.

The older and slower part is probably the case for me to (though I did perform OK in my recent CS:GO revisit.

For me - however - having experienced more realistic team and strategy based FPS:es, I just can't go back to the twitchy ones.

They feel very unsatisfying and cheesy by comparison.

Use to play it a lot. I loved Quake 3 and Quake Live was pretty nice. Back in beta it had a really good player base, there were King of the Hill events that quakelive.tv did that were fun to watch and play in, but then it went live and divied the community on free and paid maps.

I've also lost some dexterity in my hands now, makes it rough to play a twitch shooter. I think its time is about done, hopefully the new Doom multiplayer is good.

Zarathustra[H];1041936780 said:
The older and slower part is probably the case for me to (though I did perform OK in my recent CS:GO revisit.

For me - however - having experienced more realistic team and strategy based FPS:es, I just can't go back to the twitchy ones.

Exactly, this older and slower ass can still feel useful in a game like Battlefield 4.

And if I want to experience twitchier fare that still has a bit of strategy, I can play TF2 or CS.

Basically, Valve and Dice filled the giant gaping hole ID left when they spent years perfecting shoving their head up their own ass with Doom 3 :D

Well I know what I'm uninstalling from my computer this morning.

I don't know too much about the community but charging for something that was free? Not my first idea on how to drum up business.

I play quake live every once in awhile. It always surprises me how well I'm able to do after so long. Like riding a bike! If I had friends who were down in sure id play it more. Only played quake live because of the ease of access. From what I recall Q3A has still a pretty strong following so I guess should I feel the craving again ill install the game.

Exactly, this older and slower ass can still feel useful in a game like Battlefield 4.

And if I want to experience twitchier fare that still has a bit of strategy, I can play TF2 or CS.

Basically, Valve and Dice filled the giant gaping hole ID left when they spent years perfecting shoving their head up their own ass with Doom 3 :D

The Battlefield series - to me - still feels a bit twitchy.

Give Red Orchestra 2 a try! :p

Massive outdoor maps on the grim Eastern Front battling between commies and nazis on 64 player servers. Realistic bullet physics, having to adjust sights and lead running players, and oh shit, you hear the tank (or the artillery starting to fall) and run like hell, but you are out of breath...

Much more emphasis on darting from cover to cover and trying to resist the urge to pop your head out for a look, or to shoot, because when you do if anyone sees you, it explodes in spectacular fashion.

The game has some frustrating problems, and the graphics look a little bit dated (but still is GPU heavy due to the sheer size of the outdoor maps, but IMHO - in Realism Mode the game strikes the perfect balance between realism and enough action to keep things interesting.

It has pretty much ruined every other FPS for me, because nothing else can live up, and I keep going back despite its flaws.

I don't mind a one-time $9.99 fee, especially if this means that I'll receive all current and upcoming content. I'm surprised they didn't go for F2P ala TF2, seems like that kind of marketplace would've fit well with Quake Live.

Never even heard of Quake live before this, maybe that's exactly their goal.

I've had my fill of competitive pvp in the Quake1 era.

I've seen plenty of games go free-to-play but I think this is the first time I've seen the opposite happen. Do any of you even play Quake Live?

The Quake Live website reveals that id Software's multiplayer shooter is now exclusively available on Steam, and now carries a $9.99 price tag, a surprising increase of infinity for what had been a free-to-play game. This announcement does not specifically address the price jump, but it does explain the Steamworks functions that are now part of the game.

AND ITS DEAD

Like most, I've never heard of it either. Had to look up some screenshots just to see. Not too interested in it. Now if it was a Quake 1 re-boot, I might bite even though I'd probably really suck these days.

Talking about getting old.. It'd be fun to see some 'old' gamers get together for a LAN party. Thresh vs Entropy re-match 18 years later? lol

Zarathustra[H];1041936780 said:

Agreed. I did semi-pro BF2 for about 5 years; I never was any good at twitch FPS, and the problem has exasperated now that I'm north of 30.

wasn't the orignal reason behind quake live to see Carmack could get a game like Quake 3 to live and run completely in a browser or somethnig like that? I remember playing it once or twice and it being like that.

Zarathustra[H];1041936827 said:
The Battlefield series - to me - still feels a bit twitchy.

Give Red Orchestra 2 a try! :p

Massive outdoor maps on the grim Eastern Front battling between commies and nazis on 64 player servers. Realistic bullet physics, having to adjust sights and lead running players, and oh shit, you hear the tank (or the artillery starting to fall) and run like hell, but you are out of breath...

Much more emphasis on darting from cover to cover and trying to resist the urge to pop your head out for a look, or to shoot, because when you do if anyone sees you, it explodes in spectacular fashion.

The game has some frustrating problems, and the graphics look a little bit dated (but still is GPU heavy due to the sheer size of the outdoor maps, but IMHO - in Realism Mode the game strikes the perfect balance between realism and enough action to keep things interesting.

It has pretty much ruined every other FPS for me, because nothing else can live up, and I keep going back despite its flaws.

didn't they sort of dumb down RO2 over RO1 though?

I played it for about 5 minutes, then uninstalled it. It's just a port of Quake 3 in 2010 without any major improvements.

It is Quake 3 Arena and Team Arena

I actually did play this on a regular basis up until recently......only drawback was that yes - it is essentially Quake3.

Like most here, I think I played it for 10 minutes and never returned. I am older and my gaming reflexes are just not as fast as they used to be.

I've been beating the crap out of the young guys, playing Q3 on the Raspberry Pi.

It's an SBC that can run linux; it rocks for q3. :)

I'm getting old, but my reflexes are fine; I learned to hand solder 0201 components this year.

Quake Live was almost, but not quite Quake 3. There are subtle differences in the maps that I couldn't get past. I play Q3 A LOT/B]. Almost every day. I know it's not normal in 2015, but whatever. Abnormal seems to be de rigueur now.

i still lave the old quake3 areana + team arean missionpack installe on my pc for just some quick fun now and then. that an ut2004.
I prefer the pure game feel over modern shooters

Quake Live sucks balls anyway.

UT is where its at for Arena FPS.

I think a 10 bucks one time purchase is fine if you play it regularly.

probably the only way to get rid of hackers / cheats, in warface ( excellent free to play ) soon as a hacker gets banned, they set up a new account and keep hacking, but if it cost them a extra $10, they probably wouldnt come back.

probably the only way to get rid of hackers / cheats, in warface ( excellent free to play ) soon as a hacker gets banned, they set up a new account and keep hacking, but if it cost them a extra $10, they probably wouldnt come back.

Exactly this! I still love playing and if you had moved your account over to Steam before the patch the game still free for you and stays free. If you had a pro account or had lots of time in the game you can email [email protected] for a Steam key no charge.

didn't they sort of dumb down RO2 over RO1 though?

Sortof, but not really.

Modern FPS games do a lot of things to avoid player frustration that don't necessarily jive with reality. One is having players run at unnaturally fast speeds, another is bionic zooming eyesight when looking down iron sights. RO1 didn't do this, RO2 does.

RO2 has a "classic mode" in which it behaves very much like RO1, but the problem is no one plays it, because they are so used to the running speeds of modern FPS:es that they incorrectly perceive classic mode running speeds as painfully and unrealistically slow. (part of this may also have to do with the FOV which can distort things vs reality.

I prefer classic mode, but have to settle for Realism Mode (the next mode up, there is also a casual mode, and even an arcade mode which is atrocious) because I want to play on servers with actual people on them :p

Back in 2012 we were actually able to run a classic mode server that filled, but these days that the game has been out a few years, we are more reliant on attracting a wider player base to fill the server, so Realism Mode it is.

RO1 also has a dwindling community, which is not surprising since it is 10+ years old now, and most people have moved on to the sequel. There are still 1 or 2 RO1 Ostfront servers that get populated, but many of the excellent content mods like Darkest Hour (Western Front, including amazing D day map) and Mare Nostrum (Mediterranean campaign) have been all but abandoned.

While I feel this is a step back from Classic mode, its still by far the best FPS game I have played in the last 5 years or so, so I keep playing it :p

Exactly this! I still love playing and if you had moved your account over to Steam before the patch the game still free for you and stays free. If you had a pro account or had lots of time in the game you can email [email protected] for a Steam key no charge.

Really? i have a couple accounts with quite a lot of playtime.. wonder why they didn't send me an email notification? Maybe they just notified recently active accounts. I haven't played in awhile.

Either way, I see this as a good thing. Less fragmentation of the community, and no more hacks!

not going to lie: I am going to buy it after dinner. Honestly, I did spend way more than those 10 euro on their premium subscriptions since 2011 (or 2012, not sure). Having the ability to spawn server everywhere in the world is a nice thing to have

I still prefer CPMA vq3 but those days are long gone. Man, I've been playing this game since 1999!

Back