You Can Now Buy Drone Insurance

HardOCP News

[H] News
AIG has coverage for everyone: Home, Life, Auto, Drone.

AIG is also looking at the day when commercial drones are legal and everywhere. The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International predicts that by 2025, US businesses will be buying 160,000 drones a year, Brady says. Thinking ahead, AIG is already selling drone insurance for everything from protecting your expensive commercial drone, to covering you for liability if your drone gets into an accident.

How much do drones usually cost to warrant an insurance on it? I've only seen some of the toy ones but I'm guessing they go into the high end somewhere.

I have a little over $500 into mine. Insurance would be nice as it would let some venture into higher value fliers

How much do drones usually cost to warrant an insurance on it? I've only seen some of the toy ones but I'm guessing they go into the high end somewhere.

The insurance is aimed at commercial use drones and not a Brookstone model.

Commercial drones can start as low at $2k and go way up from there.

The Aerigon IA3 used for cinematography starts at $35K with the stock gimbal. The bigger version of the IA3 can run you $65k+. These are also carrying RED cameras worth $5-20k.

Quoting from AIG's press statement:

Key features of our dedicated unmanned aircraft coverage include the following:

• Policy language drafted specifically to respond to the exposure of unmanned aircraft.
  • Coverage for aircraft operators, including other non-pilot, on-ground crew
  • There is NO exclusion for loss arising from electronic malfunctions and failure of electronic components, accessories and power equipment (Such and exclusion is standard on manned aircraft policies)
  • Coverage is flexible, with terms and conditions customizable to individual needs.
  • Physical damage to the aircraft itself, along with installed, or carried equipment, and ground control units can be provided.
  • Third party liability
  • War, Hi-Jacking and Terrorism

I was wondering if you are covered if someone shoots down your drone. I guess one or the other of those last two lines covers that.

Could be insurance to CYA when shit hits the fan......literally.

Hey because you never know when some kid is going to run face first into the blades of your drone / helicopter and get their face chopped up!

Side note: I was camping this weekend and some asshole was flying a weed whacker over the campsite. Being as we are getting into hunting season, can drones please be classified as fair game? Please? :D

An aside side note: Ms. Kwaz - "What the heck is that noise a swarm of bees?" Mr. Kwaz - "No. It's a drone. But we should probably get in the tent anyways :l"

looked at one for an engineering client, it was 50k. That's just to start.

Hey because you never know when some kid is going to run face first into the blades of your drone / helicopter and get their face chopped up!

Side note: I was camping this weekend and some asshole was flying a weed whacker over the campsite. Being as we are getting into hunting season, can drones please be classified as fair game? Please? :D

An aside side note: Ms. Kwaz - "What the heck is that noise a swarm of bees?" Mr. Kwaz - "No. It's a drone. But we should probably get in the tent anyways :l"

As long as hunters with their loud trucks with stack exhaust on the back are also fair game for taking shots at for no reason other than they annoy me. :p

As long as hunters with their loud trucks with stack exhaust on the back are also fair game for taking shots at for no reason other than they annoy me. :p

Ugh, there are people at my office who went on some hunting thing recently and they basically sat around on their butts in a forest like a short distance away from these feeder things where the people that own the property leave food out all year long. Then they shoot something when it goes by on the way to the feeder and it totally validates their fragile perception of their manhood. These are the same people with huge trucks who have trouble getting into them because of their knee surgery they got after the joints failed due to morbid obesity. :( Yup, that's manly. It must take a lot of endurance and raw strength to sit next to a pile of food and take pot shots at whatever walks past. I guess maybe it's amazing that they made sure the usual farting was held in check for a couple of hours and they ignored the one leg that got tingly after a nerve or something got pinched from all that butt cheek weight.

Does the insurance cover you if the drone becomes self aware and starts killing humans? :eek::eek::eek:

Ugh, there are people at my office who went on some hunting thing recently and they basically sat around on their butts in a forest like a short distance away from these feeder things where the people that own the property leave food out all year long. Then they shoot something when it goes by on the way to the feeder and it totally validates their fragile perception of their manhood. These are the same people with huge trucks who have trouble getting into them because of their knee surgery they got after the joints failed due to morbid obesity. :( Yup, that's manly. It must take a lot of endurance and raw strength to sit next to a pile of food and take pot shots at whatever walks past. I guess maybe it's amazing that they made sure the usual farting was held in check for a couple of hours and they ignored the one leg that got tingly after a nerve or something got pinched from all that butt cheek weight.

Yup. I know a couple of them. Set out cameras to learn what kind of deer are in that area and what times they move through. Then set out a feeder/lick/decoy and then wait for it to show up. Shoot it and then talk about how they are such an amazing hunter. Also said same people talk about wanting to shoot drones because reasons.

Depends. Toys cost $100. Consumer is usually about $800-$2000 depending accessories. Some of the commercial ones I've had access to range anywhere from $35k to $105k. One was $1.5mil, but I'm guessing you can figure out what that one does.

It's actually insurance for people who don't own drones but are at risk of MQ-9 Reaper attacks.

This is good news. Now I will absolutely not feel bad to see annoying and intrusive drones get shot down. I hope the insurance costs the buyers an arm and a leg to insure.

I'd like to get a drone for hunting season. Chase a away the deer and therefore, hopefully, the hunters (who tend to violate the 150 yard rule). So does this cover liability if they sue me for accidently running into them? I'm not too worried about them shooting it down, maybe if the were hunting birds, but not deer hunters (besides I'd be buzzing the deer...hopefully not the hunters).

This is a high wind area and even predicted "calm" days will suddenly erupt with 20+mph winds so I don't really expect many drones to show up around here (not the cheap toy ones anyway)...the wind problem is what keeps me from doing this. I wonder if the insurance would cover the wind blowing the drone to who knows where (or is that an uncovered "act of god")?

Yup. I know a couple of them. Set out cameras to learn what kind of deer are in that area and what times they move through. Then set out a feeder/lick/decoy and then wait for it to show up. Shoot it and then talk about how they are such an amazing hunter. Also said same people talk about wanting to shoot drones because reasons.

Yup, the "I'm gunna shoot that thar' daggum thang down if'n it ever a' flies over mah property!" are those kinds of people. The good thing is that they're generally just blowing out hot air...like they're all bluster and would never do something that idiotic. Though, there's always one person that decides a gun is going to solve their problems and happens to own one with which to carry out their delusional desires.

Back