XFX R9 390X Double Dissipation Core Edition Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
XFX R9 390X Double Dissipation Core Edition Review - On our test bench today is the XFX R9 390X Double Dissipation Core Edition Video Card which we will pit against its green team competition of a reference GTX 980 and a massively overclocked GTX 970 to determine whether it earns its place at a price point that lies between its two foes.

Impressive showing, especially at the price point. I agree with the conclusion that this would be a better choice than a high-OC'd 970, if the extra cost is doable for the buyer, so that peace of mind with the 8GB VRAM is granted when looking towards the future. Amazing longevity that the 290X has brought to the table, even if repackaged as the 390X.

Thanks for another great review, [H]!

Chart typo fixed, thanks for the extra eyes. - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah! I see what happened. The GTX 970 was playable at 1440p with enhanced Godrays. The chart I failed to update correctly, so I'll send that off to fix that real quick.... That is indeed an error...

Thanks, you guys did a great test, it's just an obvious mistake.

You usually take a card to task for having such poor performance if you have to drop a resolution level to be playable :D

fixed-, ty - brent

Thanks for the review. Nice card, though the driver issues (once again) from AMD in Project Cars leave a sour taste in my mouth. AMD really need to get on top of this.

Quick question about witcher 3 fps, under the apple to apple testing the fps of the 390x is the same as having it set to Ultra. Does changing that setting have no affect on fps?

Nice review...comparable to the OCed 970 but probably not worthwhile if you already have a 970.

Thanks - Kyle

Back