Court Orders TSA To Finalize Rule On Full-Body Scanners

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I believe this means that the TSA will have to justify the use of their scanners from now on—or will they merely carry on as usual?

The agency was sued by the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) over the controversial devices in a lawsuit that argued that the TSA did not follow federal procedure for rulemaking when it decided to deploy the scanners, which are known as Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) devices. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled in favor of the plaintiffs on Friday, ordering the TSA to "submit to the court a schedule for the expeditious issuance of a final rule" on the full-body scanners within 30 days.

So will anyone actually go to jail for breaking the law (for so long)? Or is the law just for the people that had to walk through the scanners on a regular basis?

I'm sure absolutely no one got a higher risk of cancer from these scanners either as the TSA confirmed they're safe on all fronts. So that's of no worry.

So will anyone actually go to jail for breaking the law (for so long)? Or is the law just for the people that had to walk through the scanners on a regular basis?

I'm sure absolutely no one got a higher risk of cancer from these scanners either as the TSA confirmed they're safe on all fronts. So that's of no worry.

They eventually pulled the x-ray based scanners under the excuse that the manufacture couldn't make the software just show an outline of the person and found objects.
However, there where a number of researchers who considered them dangerous (mainly a skin cancer risk) based on the amount and type of radiation exposure. That is supposed to be the real reason they where phased out.

Back