New Hands-Free Technologies Pose Hidden Dangers For Drivers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Unfortunately, a lot of folks seem be terrible drivers even without distractions.

“The massive increase in voice-activated technologies in cars and phones represents a growing safety problem for drivers,” continued Doney. “We are concerned that these new systems may invite driver distraction, even as overwhelming scientific evidence concludes that hands-free is not risk free.”

The problem with cell phones isn't that people were holding them; the problem is that the conversations act as a distraction.

Hands-free does not change this.

Also, on another note, I will never buy a car with an "infotainment" system. The person who decided it would be a good idea to replace the radio with a computer that is linked to the engine computer and could be remotely hacked should be shot.

Also, on another note, I will never buy a car with an "infotainment" system. The person who decided it would be a good idea to replace the radio with a computer that is linked to the engine computer and could be remotely hacked should be shot.

Hell, outside of that, it's great that I can carry 2000 songs with me wherever I drive. But jesus, I feel like I'm gonna die every time I try to scroll the menu's and lists looking for a particular song or artists.

I actually bought the lesser trim model of my commuter car because the top tier had a fully touch screen radio that required looking at the screen for everything. Instead I went with the "lower" tier radio that still had buttons that had clicks and tactile feedback. Listening to podcasts/audiobooks/songs is one of the most important aspects of my daily drive so I needed a radio that was fast to use.

The problem with cell phones isn't that people were holding them; the problem is that the conversations act as a distraction.

Hands-free does not change this.

+100

It's been proven with multiple studies that having a hands free phone is overall NOT safer than holding a cell phone. People with hands free phones, tend to use them a lot more, negating any benefit over a hand help cell phone. Yet if you pick up you phone while sitting at a red light, you risk getting a ticket, while the person weaving all over the road while gabbing on their hands free phone doesn't.

And yes, there should be NO connection between the stereo and the car's controls, other than maybe a status display.
There should also be a way to disable any cell or satellite connection without forcing you to physically remove the antenna or pull/cut wires.
I don't need to start or locate my car from my cell phone, I don't need a WiFi hotspot built into the car (I'll use my cell phone if I need it). Just give me a USB connection for a thumb drive on the stereo so I can play my MP3's.

That's a reason why I want to turn the hands-free feature in my car into a safety feature, I want an app or feature that allows you to set the phone to automatically decline calls when a certain bluetooth device is connected.

If my car's hands free is connected to my phone, it means I am in the car, therefore even the phone ringing is a distraction in itself.

But alas so far I cannot find one such app.

I'm sure we're not going to work on banning passengers too right? Since people and conversations with people in a vehicle aren't distracting? right? right?

I'm sure we're not going to work on banning passengers too right? Since people and conversations with people in a vehicle aren't distracting? right? right?

Passengers are able to know when to shut up since they can see the road too. In addition, the conversations people have with passengers tend to be more casual in nature (as opposed to say, business cell phone calls).

Great, now we get a whole new round of irresponsible idiots ruining everything for everyone.

Passengers are able to know when to shut up since they can see the road too. In addition, the conversations people have with passengers tend to be more casual in nature (as opposed to say, business cell phone calls).

I think we're talking about people that, for whatever reason, don't know any better... which unfortunately doesn't appear to be an insignificant portion of the population.

And who thought putting resistive touch screens in cars was a good idea :rage: nothing like trying to push buttons on the worst touch screen I've ever used just to adjust the climate control. I'll take the dials and sliders from cars in the 80/90s over a touchscreen any day of the week.

Hands free works just fine and my 8.4 UConnect touch screen is fantastic. The screen is located in such a place that I am not looking away from traffic and that is definitely a plus. Also, hands free is safe except that a lot of folks do not use it anyways. :mad: I also can send and receive text messages with my voice, dial phone numbers and call specific people on my phone list, all with my voice. (Windows Phone Mobile 8.1 with Cortana FTW!)

For those who think hands free is bad, maybe you should put down that cell phone and give it a try first, you think?

Also, if you cannot tell your car to call someone without distraction, you cannot drive a car regardless. Driving a car alone is information overload for inexperienced or arrogant drivers. It is amazing how we blame things instead of the people themselves but hey, it is not my fault, eh? :D

+100

It's been proven with multiple studies that having a hands free phone is overall NOT safer than holding a cell phone. People with hands free phones, tend to use them a lot more, negating any benefit over a hand help cell phone. Yet if you pick up you phone while sitting at a red light, you risk getting a ticket, while the person weaving all over the road while gabbing on their hands free phone doesn't.

And yes, there should be NO connection between the stereo and the car's controls, other than maybe a status display.
There should also be a way to disable any cell or satellite connection without forcing you to physically remove the antenna or pull/cut wires.
I don't need to start or locate my car from my cell phone, I don't need a WiFi hotspot built into the car (I'll use my cell phone if I need it). Just give me a USB connection for a thumb drive on the stereo so I can play my MP3's.

People do not weave all over the road if they are on their hands free. Also, those who pick up their phone at red lights are distracted and will not go when the light turns green or worse, not notice that person about the run the red light and t bone them.

When someone is weaving around, it is most likely because they are texting with their phone in their hand well driving.

Back