Fallout 4 To Feature Nvidia GameWorks Effects?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Maybe this is just a rumor; it’s odd that we are only hearing about this so close to release if true.

This is also a good time to point out that from what we’ve been hearing this won’t be anything like some of the less well received GameWorks titles like Assassin’s Creed Unity or Batman Arkham Knight, both of which were plagued with performance issues as well as graphical bugs and glitches when they launched. According to what we’re being told Fallout 4 will be a much closer affair to GTA V, a fairly well optimized title across the board with collaborative efforts from both Nvidia and AMD.

This is also a good time to point out that from what we’ve been hearing this won’t be anything like some of the less well received GameWorks titles like Assassin’s Creed Unity or Batman Arkham Knight, both of which were plagued with performance issues as well as graphical bugs and glitches when they launched. According to what we’re being told Fallout 4 will be a much closer affair to GTA V, a fairly well optimized title across the board with collaborative efforts from both Nvidia and AMD.

I agree...this is GameWorks-lite...any performance issues with the game will be due to the Gamebryo/Creation engine itself and nothing to do with Nvidia optimizations

Those titles were broken due to the game itself, not GameWorks. AC Unity had issues even on console, and Batman AK was just a bad port that wasn't even done by the dev themself.

That said, despite Bethesda's past history with Fallout 3 being buggy at release, I do hope that this release will be better. Can't wait to play it :cool:

This is a brilliant move on Bethesda's part. Even more of their game's bugs can be fixed by somebody else.

Got my sweet new GTX 980 Ti. Bring on the BlameWorks! a I love the taste of knee-jerk tears.

Saddens me they went with Nvidia, however it's good they kept it mostly neutral... I want most games to be that way... It's okay to use tools (Gameworks) to help with game development, just not right to have an unfair advantage with it...

Ok so my head just exploded reading the comments on that website. The AMD bias is too stronk for me.

So what do we have? One site that's so AMD biased that I can even bear to read it saying that GameWorks is in Fallout 4. If you believe anything on that entire site then you're an idiot.

True or not, the GPU part of the system requirements still make no sense :

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Makes me think something is not right at any rate.

True or not, the GPU part of the system requirements still make no sense :

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Makes me think something is not right at any rate.

What makes no sense about it?

I love how warranted concern and valid criticism are instantly dismissed as whining or crying.

So edgy.

What valid criticism? Point to me one in this thread because I haven't seen any. Meanwhile, most of the noise is crying about what amounts to little more than a couple extra optional settings in a game.

People are kneejerking to rumor now, the game isn't even out yet. For all we know there's an HBAO+ option selectable in the video settings - BFD. This isn't even going to be an Nvidia/GW badged title.

Time to get over BlameWorks.

There is a reason they call it Gimpworks. How many times has this worked out well at release, even for NV's own cards. Blind fan boyism is strong at [H]. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, smells like a du...so on and so forth.

There is a reason they call it Gimpworks. How many times has this worked out well at release, even for NV's own cards. Blind fan boyism is strong at [H]. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, smells like a du...so on and so forth.

How about we let the game come out first and then decide.

A 7870 is something like 5 tiers up performance wise from the 550 ti. The 290x & 780 makes a bit more sense, though the 290x improved its performance quite a bit from when it was first released.
AMD are always slow on driver releases and updates for new games. Maybe it's a driver issue based on current drivers? I dunno, I'm just guessing.

AMD are always slow on driver releases and updates for new games. Maybe it's a driver issue based on current drivers? I dunno, I'm just guessing.

If it is a Gameworks title, then driver hacks can only do so much to help and nvidia usually release a new build a few days before the game is released invalidating any work AMD might've done up to that point. It may be one of those games which AMD won't be able to do much about and which will just never work correctly.

Or, hopefully, this won't be the case. We shall see...

If it is a Gameworks title, then driver hacks can only do so much to help and nvidia usually release a new build a few days before the game is released invalidating any work AMD might've done up to that point. It may be one of those games which AMD won't be able to do much about and which will just never work correctly.

If this was really a badged GameWorks title, Nvidia would have already been advertising the fact for months. It wouldn't be any secret.

How many PC games worked well recently in any release? You're just not realizing the sad state of the PC gaming industry.

That's a VERY, VERY big "if" considering the source of the rumour.

If this was really a badged GameWorks title, Nvidia would have already been advertising the fact for months. It wouldn't be any secret.

Its not, in fact it may end up being gameworks done right without it being shoved down everybody's throat. From what I've read the developer is working closely with both NV and AMD so lets hope this is all about nothing and its just more options for NC cards in the graphics settings.

I agree, since it's all about marketing really.

That's a VERY, VERY big "if" considering the source of the rumour.

The source of the rumor is the reason I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Its not, in fact it may end up being gameworks done right without it being shoved down everybody's throat. From what I've read the developer is working closely with both NV and AMD so lets hope this is all about nothing and its just more options for NC cards in the graphics settings.

No Gameworks is doing it right. That being said, I'm curious and following what Gaijin is doing. Even if they did sell out to nvidia, they are apparently working the Gameworks features through the CPU to keep it GPU agnostic with optimizations to come later. Interesting 2 step process, will see how this works out.

Doing things right developers would make their game engines from scratch with only what they need for every game but it's not about doing things right it's about doing things cheaply.Hell if developers where doing things right even with hateworks their games would run just fine and wouldn't be buggy but that's not what we get. We get console ports not PC games.

Doing things right developers would make their game engines from scratch with only what they need for every game but it's not about doing things right it's about doing things cheaply.Hell if developers where doing things right even with hateworks their games would run just fine and wouldn't be buggy but that's not what we get. We get console ports not PC games.

I would rather the developers work on the base game than some vendor specific eye candy proprietary closed libraries geared for that one vendor. But that's just me...I'm sure the green team will chime in and tell me how wrong I am.

I would rather the developers work on the base game than some vendor specific eye candy proprietary closed libraries geared for that one vendor. But that's just me...I'm sure the green team will chime in and tell me how wrong I am.

Depends on how difficult it is. I'm sure the SDK's and involvement with NVIDIA made it not that big of a deal for Bethesda. I know in the past, some companies would have teams that would go work with developers to help with the new tools and get them up to speed and help them out.

I'd rather them go with a more open platform that would work on any video card (I'm all AMD at this time, but next upgrade will be NVIDIA if the marketplace is the same as it is now).

It's funny how AMD fans had no problem with game developers wasting resources on proprietary AMD tech like Mantle.

It's funny how AMD fans had no problem with game developers wasting resources on proprietary AMD tech like Mantle.

It's funny how you keep bringing that up constantly like it's relevant.

Back