Yahoo’s Business Now Worth Less Than Nothing

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is probably not the headline you want your company to have.

What about the $950 million in earnings that analysts are projecting for 2015? It's evidently irrelevant to investors, who are rapidly losing confidence in CEO Marissa Mayer's ability to right the ship.

I think the author is actually trying to imply that Yahoo is either grossly undervalued, or that investors know some really bad news is coming.

They should make a YahooTube, cause Youtube Red kind of fucked a lot of things. Luckily, I'm in Europe right now, so the things I watch are still available. Until next year, when everything will disappear. Like it already has in the US.

I know a lot of ppl who watch Japanese idol channels. They're on my Facebook and been complaining all day that damn near every video is gone or unviewable.

All of them have moved to running VPNs/proxies/dns/etc to point their systems to EU or Japan, so they can continue watching movies.

ESPN videos are gone. As I'm not in the US, I can't tell what is, what isn't gone.

Yahoo totally missed the boat. They thought they could live off their cool name brand forever. The cincher was their last CEO selection and chasing out Jerry Yang.

Yahoo totally missed the boat. They thought they could live off their cool name brand forever. The cincher was their last CEO selection and chasing out Jerry Yang.

No offense to Jerry, but he was not good at being the CEO, and I'm not surprised his tenure as CEO was short. It's hard to go back to chief Yahoo! after being CEO, and that had to have been considered before he took the job. It's been a while since there was anyone who was any good at being the CEO of Yahoo! though. I'm convinced it's an ungovernable company, and it needs to go back towards its roots of individual products having a lot more autonomy. OTOH, i was there from 2004-2011, and I'm trying to stop armchair quarterbacking.

I think the author is actually trying to imply that Yahoo is either grossly undervalued, or that investors know some really bad news is coming.

A lot of analysts/pundits are saying that. Say what you want, but Yahoo is worth something beyond their stake in Alibaba. Of course they could be valuing it as the value of Alibaba after taxes (if it's not a tax free spin off) + whatever for Yahoo. Nobody really knows if it'll be tax free or not. Personally, I think Yahoo might as well hold on to Baba until the markets rebound more. This has to be one of the worse times to spin it off.

What Yahoo business?

The only thing they own that I am even aware of exists in the last 10 years or so, has been Flickr.

They thought they could live off their cool name brand forever.

LOL. Thanks , I got Monster Energy in my sinuses thanks to this post.

As long as I can remember, Yahoo has always been th elamest brand name on the internet. Even in the early 90's Yahoo was the service that uncool old people who didn't know what they were doing used.

It's hard to change 20 years of that reputation :p

Zarathustra[H];1041929780 said:
What Yahoo business?

The only thing they own that I am even aware of exists in the last 10 years or so, has been Flickr.

Finance is a very popular site. I have paid sites that I go to and I still go to Yahoo for some things, because it's got a lot of info an a nice layout. There stock charts are excellent. They also own tumblr.

But regardless, aside from search, they have a tremendous amount of traffic. Here's an article from 2 years ago. They tend to swap back and forth with google (at least on the desktop devices).

Finance is a very popular site. I have paid sites that I go to and I still go to Yahoo for some things, because it's got a lot of info an a nice layout. There stock charts are excellent. They also own tumblr.

But regardless, aside from search, they have a tremendous amount of traffic. Here's an article from 2 years ago. They tend to swap back and forth with google (at least on the desktop devices).

bah

http://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-tops-the-most-trafficked-web-site-list-for-desktop-in-us/

Here's a wiki of the top sites https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_popular_websites

damn it, someone needs to compete with google, and no one is. yahoo is a complete joke. Google's dominance has led to such a cocky design approach it's appalling. Have you tried using the "new" google maps on the desktop? it takes almost twice as long to do things as the old one. the interface is not as easy to use and I find that the features it adds were not at all useful. They still do not have a unified interface between all their products. you can still get reverted back to google's older style home page, and then randomly get switched to newer daily interface changes. It's rubbish. yes, I can imagine it is difficult to manage a lot of services, but their early 2000s approach was to gradually fix everything over time, not just keep it up and throw it out when it becomes irrelevant. cough cough google reader, google voice, etc...
/rant

damn it, someone needs to compete with google, and no one is. yahoo is a complete joke. Google's dominance has led to such a cocky design approach it's appalling. Have you tried using the "new" google maps on the desktop? it takes almost twice as long to do things as the old one. the interface is not as easy to use and I find that the features it adds were not at all useful. They still do not have a unified interface between all their products. you can still get reverted back to google's older style home page, and then randomly get switched to newer daily interface changes. It's rubbish. yes, I can imagine it is difficult to manage a lot of services, but their early 2000s approach was to gradually fix everything over time, not just keep it up and throw it out when it becomes irrelevant. cough cough google reader, google voice, etc...
/rant

Having been doing some Android development recently, I really haven't been too impressed with Google lately. It's no surprise that with other areas, there's no consistency between their programs, features which change and get thrown out, etc.

Back