The FCC Will Publicly Shame Robocallers And Telemarketers Every Week

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is great news for those who are trying to fight back against spammers and telemarketers.

…it will release data on robocall and telemarketing complaints every week. That'll include the numbers where these annoying and unwanted calls originate from, and the FCC hopes cellular providers and developers will build stronger "do not disturb" tools that take advantage of the data, which it's publishing in spreadsheet form.

Will not matter, they will just change their numbers like email addresses are changed. Besides, I have not received one of these calls in quite some time, now that I think about it.

Since the FCC can't stop them they should create a public blacklist app that is free.

I cannot wait to get back to the US. I'm currently stationed in the UK with the Air Force and absolutely HATE how piss poor the UK is run when it comes to stuff like this. For the last two and a half years I have received an automated phone call every single day Monday through Friday. When I do stick around to talk to a person to tell them to F off, they continuously try to tell me they can help me settle an insurance claim for an injury. They do not care when I tell them I have not lived in the UK in the time they claim I was injured, and they also do not stop when I tell them I'm fully covered through the military's healthcare. Spam phone calls and texts run rampant in this country and it is annoying as fuck. The queen must be getting a cut of money from them, because there seems to be zero effort put into stopping this over here.

With caller id I don't get why people still answer a number they don't recognize. If I don't know the number, I just let it go to voice mail. If it's important they'll leave a message, if not I just forget about it. I also have an app that automatically hangs up on know spam numbers.

/In before the free market economy works this out naturally without government intervention. :p

With caller id I don't get why people still answer a number they don't recognize. If I don't know the number, I just let it go to voice mail. If it's important they'll leave a message, if not I just forget about it. I also have an app that automatically hangs up on know spam numbers.

I'm the same way, which is why it bugs me when I overhear people saying things like "who leaves voicemail these days? Obviously if I see a missed call I'll call them back..."

The problem I've found is that that there are important calls that don't show in CID. Like many Drs use a service for appointment confirmations that uses rob call. My Drs & Hosp.it,, but they also use a common call out number that can't be called back, so I don't know which Dr it was if it's robo called. I've run into similar issues with other businesses as well. You can't know for sure if you don't answer unrecognized numbers. and once you do...
The CID system can be broken by people in too many ways. :(

Everyone's spoofing CID so there's no control or recourse.

Someone made some spam calls a couple weeks back, and they showed my companies engineering number on CID. I got a bunch of nasty calls sent my way from the recipients that dialed back for whatever reason to swear at someone. They didn't believe me when I told them I didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

south-park-s19e01c01-please-welcome-pc-principal_16x9.jpg

Yo FCC, shaming isn't cool bro!

Trying to blacklist lists of phone numbers is really dumb. The phone companies will reap the rewards of scammers changing numbers and future customers will be hurt when they're assigned a number that is on a blacklist.

I'm the same way, which is why it bugs me when I overhear people saying things like "who leaves voicemail these days? Obviously if I see a missed call I'll call them back..."

It does piss me off when people I know call me and leave a voice message. 99% of the time I only check my voicemail to get rid of the notification. If If know you though I'll see that you called...or text me at least. I don't know, voicemail is annoying.

When we moved to Comcast Triple Play we took it in the shorts. The phone works OK but they sold my number to a telemarketer data base on something like that. We started getting 7 to 10 calls a day, total garbage. It is about 4 to five now. We bought a device to black list the numbers, Just plug it in and hit the red button. Works pretty good but you have to make sure you want to kill the number. Now all the Commies are calling wanting donations to there campaigns. The crap never ends.

Yes caller ID works but the phone still rings and it does go to the answering machine which is usually no message. Annoying at 9:00PM. Hit the RED button time.

A Holes, nail their gonads to a stump and kick them over backwards.

Anytime I see the weird "shame", I don't read something. A word used by the PC and click bait crowd.

I haven't had a landline in 15 years, cell only. I likewise haven't had a single telemarketer call in 10+. I'm really not sure what some of you are doing wrong.

^this would be great. However. 1. I work night shift. I have to sleep during the daytime, when these parasites call (most often around 9 am, lunch, dinnertime). 2. I have an elderly mother who lives alone, so I can't just turn off my phone ringer. I can't create a white list because the services such as police, fire dept, hospitals have hundreds of numbers from which they can call if mom does something like walk down the street at night and get lost. Which means I keep getting woken up by these assholes. And I get caller ID numbers like 1112223334 on my caller ID display. They keep changing what number shows up on the display so call block won't work. Like others, when I tell them I'm not interested they just keep on with their sales pitch. The folks that want to lower my credit card interest rates keep calling via robocall, even though I have no credit card debt to refinance. And every robocall is my 'last chance', yet they'll call back again in a few days. The guy who wants to reside my house doesn't understand that I don't own the house. The lady begging for donations won't accept that I say I'm unemployed and have no money to donate, she insists that I could afford 'a few dollars'. It never friggin ends.

With caller id I don't get why people still answer a number they don't recognize. If I don't know the number, I just let it go to voice mail. If it's important they'll leave a message, if not I just forget about it.

I usually have answer the phone because it might be work related, and I don't know the private/cell numbers of everyone who might call me.

We get way too many of these calls on our home phone (even though we are on the do not call list), so last year when I graded our home phone, I made sure it had built in call blocking. Now we just block these calls, and the phone hangs up on them automatically :)
My only concern is how quickly we are filling up the 200 number list :(

The CID system can be broken by people in too many ways. :(

I manage the phone system at my office, and I can make the caller say ID anything I want.
I can even make different calling out codes with different caller ID's.

The reason for this is to allow all the out going calls (on numerous different lines) to have the same caller ID, with is set to our main number (as opposed to the random numbers on the lines)

The problem is that this feature is being abused by the spammers.

I haven't had a landline in 15 years, cell only. I likewise haven't had a single telemarketer call in 10+. I'm really not sure what some of you are doing wrong.

You're damned lucky. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I've had several telemarketers spam my cell. One time, I was so sick and tired of robospam...I hunted down the company calling me repeatedly on a daily basis for 2 weeks (was a real company), called their home office, got a secretary and asked to speak to the ______ (man in charge) about the "important business matter" he had called me several times about. When I got transfered I told the A-hole to take his robodialer and shove it up his @$$.

After I cussed out the clown...the calls stopped. Think my message got through.

I don't think it's luck really. I think years of habitually not signing up for "Free" shit that is never free, or always using a fake number when signing up for anything that it isn't critical they call me has more to do with it.

Back