Halo 5 PC Possibly Coming To PC?

HardOCP News

[H] News
More games on the PC? I'm all for it. Personally, I think the problem is that it is easier said than done for console developers. Making games for consoles is easier in a sense because they essentially have a fixed set of hardware. On the PC, developers have to deal with endless hardware configurations.

There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC. Nothing to announce at this point… you know, we developed the game on an Intel platform. It wouldn’t be the hardest thing in the world to move it to PC and take advantage of PC stuff. But nothing I announce today on this chat.

Its a little known fact that many console only games are actually developed on the PC. Simply because its easier for the many tools available.

More games on the PC? I'm all for it. Personally, I think the problem is that it is easier said than done for console developers. Making games for consoles is easier in a sense because they essentially have a fixed set of hardware. On the PC, developers have to deal with endless hardware configurations.

There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC. Nothing to announce at this point… you know, we developed the game on an Intel platform. It wouldn’t be the hardest thing in the world to move it to PC and take advantage of PC stuff. But nothing I announce today on this chat.

I really don't see that happening, but if it does then I'd love to see the rest of the series too.

BTW I have a feeling it was developed on an intel/nvidia platform for an AMD console

Go figure... :D:D

Its a little known fact that many console only games are actually developed on the PC. Simply because its easier for the many tools available.

Errrrm, isn't that a commonly known fact? I mean, it's not like 3DS Max, zbrush, maya, visual studio, etc run on consoles...

Most likely no Halo for PC. This is just marketing hype to get more people to pay attention to Halo 5's release.

"many"... what console game was not developed on PC?
With the exception of a game made with a creation tool that runs on a console, however said tool was developed on PC anyway.

As for Halo 5, i would probably pay full price if it came out with in a timely fashion, not holding my breath though.
Like GTA and many other big console titles, waiting or being bypassed altogether is just something we PC gamers have to deal with.

I couldn't care less about Halo 5, but the more (well made) games on the PC the better we'll all be.

It won't come to PC becomes Microsoft hasn't learned anything. It'll require SteamOS making serious inroads for MS to wake the fuck up and stop taking its Windows as a gaming platform for granted. And by the time they do wake up it'll be too late.

If they make money on it I hope it does no way in Hell am I dropping 450 quid just to play it.

I believe that if MS puts big budget titles on the Windows 10 app store (console exclusives like halo), people will buy from the app store. I love steam, but i have no problem using another service that give me access to titles not on steam. Its just logical.

"many"... what console game was not developed on PC?
With the exception of a game made with a creation tool that runs on a console, however said tool was developed on PC anyway.

As for Halo 5, i would probably pay full price if it came out with in a timely fashion, not holding my breath though.
Like GTA and many other big console titles, waiting or being bypassed altogether is just something we PC gamers have to deal with.

Console dev kits as far back as the Super Nintendo ran on a PC (sometimes they had proprietary hardware as well. I hope it does come out for PC, although I don't really care about Halo it would show commitment to the platform, instead of just claiming commitment to the platform as Microsoft often does.

As long as the titles are made well on the PC and don't feature console style GUI elements, dumbed down controls and settings levels and feel vibrant and interesting like good PC games do, as opposed to console titles, which tend to feel dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, I'm all for this.

That being said, I have no interest what so ever in the Halo franchise. I'm not one of those who thinks it was great once, but should now be allowed to end. I never liked it in the first place. Too console-ish IMHO.

I'm all for more games without "Space Marines"

I still remember seeing Simon Pegg playing Halo 5 across multiple monitors in MI: Rogue Nation. I don't think Xbox ONE is capable of playing games in a 16:3 resolution like that.

I believe that if MS puts big budget titles on the Windows 10 app store (console exclusives like halo), people will buy from the app store. I love steam, but i have no problem using another service that give me access to titles not on steam. Its just logical.

Right, this would be a fantastic exclusive for them. Something to draw attention to the Windows Store like noting else so far has.

At least there won't be any "Vista only" bullshit like Halo 2. It would work on the broken OS as well!

Microsoft keeping games off of Windows us one of the big reasons it's hard to take their "One Windows" nonsense seriously.

Honestly, I can see MS front loading ports in the beginning then axing support later. Meaning, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gears then Halo 5, but nothing else.

Does Halo 5 pick up right after Halo 2? If so then I'm all for it. :rolleyes:

2nd page and no mention of screen resolution or frame rate? You have failed me for the last time...

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the main Halo series return to PC at some point. I can't see Frankie making a comment like this without there at least being some talk about a PC port of the series.

And, personally, I view the Halo series as having a longer shelf life than the Xbox.

I'd buy it for PC. We had awesome 16 player lan parties playing Halo PC back in the day. Sure you walked slowly... and could only hold 2 guns... and the graphics weren't good even at the time... but the vehicles and game modes were lots of fun.

If I had to rank my best FPS experiences it would be something like this:

Q3A CTF/DM. I was really really good at Q3A. Felt like I couldn't lose :).
Halo PC lan parties
Quake 2 Jailbreak lan parties (and other mods).
BF3/4
UT 2003/4 UT3
Wolfenstein MP (PC)
Quake 1 with mods
UT 90's
Halo 3/4 on Xbox 360
CoD (any)

I'd buy it for PC. We had awesome 16 player lan parties playing Halo PC back in the day. Sure you walked slowly... and could only hold 2 guns... and the graphics weren't good even at the time... but the vehicles and game modes were lots of fun.

If I had to rank my best FPS experiences it would be something like this:

Q3A CTF/DM. I was really really good at Q3A. Felt like I couldn't lose :).
Halo PC lan parties
Quake 2 Jailbreak lan parties (and other mods).
BF3/4
UT 2003/4 UT3
Wolfenstein MP (PC)
Quake 1 with mods
UT 90's
Halo 3/4 on Xbox 360
CoD (any)

Yeah, this is where we are all different.

To me nothing Doom/Quake/Halo/UT/Cod/BF would even make the list.

In 1999 in my dorms at Umass, I did have some fun with floor wide Quake 2 deathmatch games, but it was still kind of dumb, fast paced, run and gun unrealistic nonsense to me,

To me, multiplayer FPS:es went from just a silly distraction in the deathmatch days, to actually becoming interesting when the Counter-Strike beta became available in 1999. I played almost nothing else until the Red Orchestra: Combined Arms unreal mod and later Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, and now Red Orchestra 2.

Even going back to Counter-Strike feels silly now, that I have experienced what team based games really can do.

That, and over the years, the Cod/BF style games and CS gradually gravitated towards each other to the point where they are no pretty much the same experience.

Shortly after I bought Halo 3 for Xbox 360, I learned that No more Halo games were planned for PC, at that point I quit playing any Halo Games. I never game on my 360 anymore and will not buy a Xbox One. I would hope that IF they are going to be doing Halo on PC that they would first release the Master Chief Collection for guys like me that didn't play Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and Halo 4.

If just halo 5 came out sure I would play/buy it but I would really appreciate if I could catch up with the story.

You can stream Xbox One games straight to your PC with Windows 10. For what it's worth it can up the quality of the games to 1080p at 60fps. Not exactly up to PC standards, but still a nice feature.

...waiting or being bypassed altogether is just something we PC gamers have to deal with.

There's really nothing stopping people who own a computer from also buying a console and playing games on either of them. Neither one is more than like the price of stealing a little money from the family swear jar to purchase.

There's really nothing stopping people who own a computer from also buying a console and playing games on either of them. Neither one is more than like the price of stealing a little money from the family swear jar to purchase.

honestly, your 100% correct, but its not about the money for me, its about one platform that does everything i want, and that is my PC, if i have to wait or not play certain games, im ok with that. However, xbone's ability to stream is enticing, plus i read they are working on the ability to stream PC to xbone. That might be the deal breaker, not to mention if they can figure out how to use the power of your home PC, to increase cycles on the xbone. I might just open my wallet. Time will tell though.

honestly, your 100% correct, but its not about the money for me, its about one platform that does everything i want, and that is my PC, if i have to wait or not play certain games, im ok with that. However, xbone's ability to stream is enticing, plus i read they are working on the ability to stream PC to xbone. That might be the deal breaker, not to mention if they can figure out how to use the power of your home PC, to increase cycles on the xbone. I might just open my wallet. Time will tell though.

I can understand that too. It really is nice to have one device that does everything even if there are a few minor items that it misses like a game here or there. Not everyone wants to have to move between places or electronic devices to play a game that's exclusive to a certain platform. That makes sense.

I really don't see why Microsoft wouldn't sell their game on the PC too. They're coding it on PCs and probably even have playtested it there too. It's kinda trivial to at least just lazy-cakes release a PC version and then patch it later.

You can stream Xbox One games straight to your PC with Windows 10. For what it's worth it can up the quality of the games to 1080p at 60fps. Not exactly up to PC standards, but still a nice feature.
I think I'm misreading this. I think The Xbox One streams and exactly whatever quality it can render natively (or less) and doesn't UP the quality magically when the video stream appears on PC.

The xbox is still doing the rendering, so there's no "magical upgrade" to 1080p 60fps.

Doesn't exactly work the way you think it does.

I can understand that too. It really is nice to have one device that does everything even if there are a few minor items that it misses like a game here or there. Not everyone wants to have to move between places or electronic devices to play a game that's exclusive to a certain platform. That makes sense.

I really don't see why Microsoft wouldn't sell their game on the PC too. They're coding it on PCs and probably even have playtested it there too. It's kinda trivial to at least just lazy-cakes release a PC version and then patch it later.

I'm thinking DX12 might help bridge that issue between console and pc games being ported in a timely fashion, but its all up to the developer i guess. But if DX12/windows 10 can play one game on all platforms without much coding while giving near same visuals, i see great things for Microsoft. Instead of being plaform/hardware bound, they just release to windows 10 devices... 1 OS to rule them all.

Microsoft keeping games off of Windows us one of the big reasons it's hard to take their "One Windows" nonsense seriously.

One of many, numerous reasons over the years.

Something similar happened when Halo 2 was released for PC but you had to get Windows Vista. So it was an incentive to upgrade to Vista. Not that it was very effective back then. But if Halo 5 was released for Windows 10 only that would be enough to get me to upgrade. Anyway, would be nice for those of us who don't own Xbox One. And in theory at least the graphics would get an upgrade since gaming PC's run circles around Xbox One.

Agreed.

Seeing that the Xbox is essentially PC hardware, I see no reason why it couldn't just be a standard Windows 10 install in some sort of "Big Picture Mode", to borrow some terminology from Valve.

OTOH, there's nothing really motivating me to buy an XB1 just to play one or two marginally good exclusives, nevermind the pay-forever Xbox Live subscription fees and always having to pay full $60 retail for new games.

Back