Strong Execution Drives Microsoft First Quarter Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. today announced the following results for the quarter ended September 30, 2015:

• Revenue was $20.4 billion GAAP, and $21.7 billion non-GAAP
  • Operating income was $5.8 billion GAAP, and $7.1 billion non-GAAP
  • Net income was $4.6 billion GAAP, and $5.4 billion non-GAAP
  • Earnings per share was $0.57 GAAP, and $0.67 non-GAAP

Non-GAAP financial results exclude the deferral and recognition of revenue primarily related to Windows 10. During the quarter, Microsoft announced a 16% increase in its quarterly dividend to $0.36 and returned $6.9 billion to shareholders in the form of share repurchases and dividends.

Non-GAAP results are not results, unless you're using GAAP it's just bullshit.

Except that like, their home computing division had like a 17% decline...that's the one with the Windows, the Surface, Xbox, and searching.

And phone sales are down 54% -- but really, I've been using my "flagship" Windows Phone for more than two years now and they really haven't put out anything better since then, so it's not like they're creating demand.

And I'm actually looking forward to the new ones and suspect many other Windows Phone users (hello, BOTH of you others!) are also.

(as a side note, their recent low-end models are surprisingly good)

I'm totally down to buy one of their new handsets, but I'm kinda screwed since I'm on VZW and I can't really change. :mad:

Cloud (Azure/Hosted stuff) - UP
Office Cloud (365) - UP
Everything else - Down

Windows Phone down 54% and its lowest market share since Windows Phone 7 launched 5 years ago. Time to get rid of it.

Xbox hardware sales down. Trailing behind PS hardware sales by 2 - 1. The Xbox division has NEVER been in the black for its entire life. 10+ years and the division overall is still RED. Why keep it?

Surface had 900 million write off for the RT and poor initial sales. Then they rose with the Surface 3, and now fell again. I would keep it around another 2 years at most if it does not show profit. I fear its a niche market and it will end up like the Xbox in the long run, never really making money.

Windows Phone down 54% and its lowest market share since Windows Phone 7 launched 5 years ago. Time to get rid of it.

Perhaps, but like many things that aren't popular doesn't mean they don't have a place or could even after many years not gain traction. I don't think Microsoft has any choice but to at least keep trying and with the unification of development across Microsoft's platforms it wouldn't make any sense to dump phones when the support is built into the core of the product now.

Surface had 900 million write off for the RT and poor initial sales. Then they rose with the Surface 3, and now fell again. I would keep it around another 2 years at most if it does not show profit. I fear its a niche market and it will end up like the Xbox in the long run, never really making money.

This is all product life cycle driven. It was pretty well known for months that the Surface line refresh was launching this month, just as it did. And judging by the reaction to the event and the first full reviews of the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book, this quarter for the Surface line should be very good.

The Surface line for now is a niche market by design. And indeed when Microsoft really focused on building great x86 Windows devices is then the Surface formula started to work. For now I don't think Microsoft wants to compete with its OEMs with traditional PC designs at mainstream prices. If Microsoft were selling Surface Books at $500 they'd put their OEMs out of the Windows laptop market.

Those numbers are horrible, they better just shutdown as you can't run a business like that :rolleyes:

I for one am looking forward to the new Lumia phones... so much power! And with the continuum add-on, will function like a Windows desktop... though without the support for x86 or x64 applications.

They seem to be supporting WinRT quite well from a developer standpoint... i just hope that momentum picks up and companies actually start using it. If not, then the whole windows store platform will suck. I mean, look at the Surface RT...

Microsoft just laid off 1000 workers. That should boost the profit!

Microsoft just laid off 1000 workers. That should boost the profit!

Unfortunate as all layoff are. Been there and it sucks. But yeah, the street responded with a loud round of applause as Microsoft's stock rose 10% yesterday near it's all time high.

Back