Firefox FindMyDevice Lets Hackers Wipe or Lock Phones, Change PINs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Being able to remotely lock or unlock your phone or set a new PIN are great features.... for hackers to exploit. :(

Vulnerabilities in Mozilla's Find My Device service enabled hackers to carry out attacks that locked the screens of smartphones running Firefox OS, change PINs, make the devices ring, and even wipe all data with only a few clicks.

At this point, what do you say to stuff like this. Either coders are getting dumber or the process of coding has taken a massive downhill turn. I don't see it getting better across any platform. These are daily occurrences now.

Wow, now THAT'S an impressively spectacular FAIL!

Was curious, but now staying the hell away from that.

Similar things that Android device manager does. Hopefully Google has awesome security. Otherwise this article would be about both ADM and FindMyDevice.

Similar things that Android device manager does. Hopefully Google has awesome security. Otherwise this article would be about both ADM and FindMyDevice.
Yeah, I know ADM has been on my Nexus devices; I assumed it was on all Android devices. I can't understand why anyone would choose to use a third-party app with such awful potential consequences if things go wrong. That's not to say that I think Google is perfect but I already put trust into the OS, so the ship has sailed.

Are those phones even available for sale in North America? FirefoxOS was supposed to be designed to be used on ultra-cheap phones in developing countries.

Yeah, I know ADM has been on my Nexus devices; I assumed it was on all Android devices. I can't understand why anyone would choose to use a third-party app with such awful potential consequences if things go wrong. That's not to say that I think Google is perfect but I already put trust into the OS, so the ship has sailed.

ADM has only been around for 2 years or so. Most of the people not using it are on phones it does not support or just use whatever app they've used since 2009 by habit or just don't know any better

"Yeah we do Perpetual UI Redesign, hammer in new versions of the renderer and yes we do write sophisticated critical security softwar"
- Mo' Ziller

ADM has only been around for 2 years or so. Most of the people not using it are on phones it does not support or just use whatever app they've used since 2009 by habit or just don't know any better
One problem with a company doing "everything" is that no company can properly market everything. Everybody with an Android device should know about ADM, especially since there's not a portable device user alive who hasn't at least briefly misplaced it.

Back