Turtle Beach Gaming Headset Recall

HardOCP News

[H] News
Because it sucks to get mold spores in you ears, Turtle Beach is recalling over 60,000 Ear Force XO FOUR Stealth gaming headsets made in 2015.

This recall involves 2015 Ear Force XO FOUR Stealth gaming headsets. They are multi-use but marketed for use with Xbox One gaming systems. The headsets are black with green trim and have soft ear-cups, an audio controller and a removable microphone. They are packaged with an audio adapter. Recalled units have a 13-character alphanumeric serial number that includes C16 through C25 and do not have a green dot under the windscreen of the microphone. The serial number is printed on the inside of the headband of the headset and on the bottom flap of the box.

I am confused as to what exactly is the cause of this recall or how a different set fixes this. Although I am pretty sure this is what I have at home so will find out what they give.

If they kept making sound cards only this wouldn't be an issue :p
Only Turtle Beach product I've ever owned was an ISA sound card. Seemed pretty great back then.

looks like they got bit by China outsourcing

sounds like they are stepping up and owning it though

I am confused as to what exactly is the cause of this recall or how a different set fixes this. Although I am pretty sure this is what I have at home so will find out what they give.

As someone who works in hazmat, replacing the headset removed the mould hazard.

What most likely happened is during shipment or storage, the headset were most likely exposed to moisture. Since mould spores are everywhere, all you need is moisture and an organic substrate for it to grow on.

Without being too specific, I've dealt with shipments of articles of clothing that have been exposed to moisture and had visible cleaning. Despite a thorough cleaning from a hazmat contractor, mould was still present (microscopically).

As someone who works in hazmat, replacing the headset removed the mould hazard.

What most likely happened is during shipment or storage, the headset were most likely exposed to moisture. Since mould spores are everywhere, all you need is moisture and an organic substrate for it to grow on.

Without being too specific, I've dealt with shipments of articles of clothing that have been exposed to moisture and had visible cleaning. Despite a thorough cleaning from a hazmat contractor, mould was still present (microscopically).

Must be the case and makes sense. Was kind of more curious how one line or group would pose a risk, but all the others be fine. But I guess it could have been just they left some part out in a bad area just once. My sn starts I23 so I guess my shipment was fine then. Been using them for 6 or 7 months and haven't had mold growing out of them yet so guess that is a good sign

imho .... Turtle Beach is juuuuuuunk.

What's incredibly funny is for $100 dollars and under you can buy a professional grade headphone, add on a professional condenser lapel mic that can be placed on the headphones and have something way better and less gaudy than about any $200 - $300 gaming headphone.

Mold spores? Not surprised

Looks like I've been living under a rock because I didn't realize Turtle Beach was still around....thought their last product was the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz which I loved.

Looks like I've been living under a rock because I didn't realize Turtle Beach was still around....thought their last product was the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz which I loved.

Same here, still have a working Santa Cruz in my old P4 rig, it must be 13 years old by now but still sounds pretty good.

I think they dropped making cards about 10 years ago for some reason and started making headsets.

What's incredibly funny is for $100 dollars and under you can buy a professional grade headphone, add on a professional condenser lapel mic that can be placed on the headphones and have something way better and less gaudy than about any $200 - $300 gaming headphone.

Sounds like you are talking about PC gaming though. Mind showing me how you with a single wire connect all that to your xbox or play station controller?

The XOFour here is a Xbox One (XO) headset. Connects to your controller for you to hear game audio and use for in game or party chat. Sure you could do that with a fuck ton of wires coming from your tv and sytem, a sound mixer and a lot of other stuff but that is a huge pain and is more money than a headset that you connect to your controller.

Personally I find the XOFour to be a good headset, much nicer than the included one. Very comfortable to wear for hours on end.

I will second that their stuff is junk. I refuse to buy expensive headsets because they will eventually break. Even my friends who have those astro headsets are starting to have issues now.

I found some usb plantronics headsets for cheap. It works perfectly for my ps4 and my pc. I will find more of them in case this one breaks.

Back