Destiny's Plot Is The Product Of A Last-Minute Redesign

HardOCP News

[H] News
This will come as a surprise to absolutely no one. Well, you might be if you haven't ever played the game. ;)

"The priority was, ‘Hey, we have to take a bunch of content that we’ve spent millions of dollars on, we need to cobble it together in a way that is not going to break continuity, and we’ve gotta do it quickly.’"

Destiny has a plot?

Not really. Destiny has backstory lightly hinted at and only revealed in small amounts in the grimoire....which is only through the app, and only as you unlock by playing. Otherwise the plot seems to be we're the remnants of space Gestapo and we are cleansing all of the evil that nearly wiped us out before. There is literally no enemy of my enemy concept.

I have fun with it though.

No story worth mentioning, but it's still a really fun game with great feeling mechanics. Problem has always been a complete and utter lack of content for the price, combined with some cheesy design decisions meant to artificially give depth to the content.

Several DLCs in and a relatively large(compared to minuscule DLC) expansion, there's a lot of content now and most those cheesy mechanics have been reworked. Just hasn't been cheap. I've still had and continue to have a lot of fun with it.

This is the exact samething that happened with Halo 2. It's why it's so terrible. I still enjoy playing the game...but man, the story is turrible.

This is the exact samething that happened with Halo 2. It's why it's so terrible. I still enjoy playing the game...but man, the story is turrible.

What are you talking about? Halo 2's campaign and story was one of the best in the series!

The opening 15 minutes of Halo 2 had more story, character development and sense of world building than the entirety of destiny's content to-date...

Reading the Kotaku report that this article links to, I see that not only did the original game's story get rebooted just over a year before release, but the first DLC pack got rebooted nine weeks before release, and even last month's drastically cut-down expansion got a complete reboot last year.

What do you want to bet next year's full-size expansion is getting a reboot just about now? Maybe they should call it "Destiny: Reboot Of The Reboot".

While it's an interesting read. I don't much care if they are getting "Rebooted" or not.

What are you talking about? Halo 2's campaign and story was one of the best in the series!

The opening 15 minutes of Halo 2 had more story, character development and sense of world building than the entirety of destiny's content to-date...

Uh huh. It's why the gameplay was axed to crap. The game was far from anything they promised. It also didn't help the engine was too much for the OG Xbox to handle. Halo 2 is pretty crappy. Though, the Arbiter was cool and the only good thing about that game.

Some people liked the MP. I didn't. But, that's because I played PC.

Uh huh. It's why the gameplay was axed to crap. The game was far from anything they promised. It also didn't help the engine was too much for the OG Xbox to handle. Halo 2 is pretty crappy. Though, the Arbiter was cool and the only good thing about that game.

Some people liked the MP. I didn't. But, that's because I played PC.

The gameplay didn't have a LOT of what was promised, for sure, but the game was still years ahead of any console game in it's age. The Dual-Wield mechanic was awesome and the game played MUCH more strategically than the original: though it was a very different game to the original, and people got REALLY miffed that it was Halo 2 and not Halo 2.0.

But the story was freaking solid.

Disagree. The game was unfinished. The story goes nowhere for a very long time and you play a lot of scenarios that are more or less pointless. Then, it cuts off and Halo 3 ends what should of been in Halo 2.

Honestly, I want them to remake Halo 2 and include Halo 3 in the game. That's the only way I can ever seeing it work "story wise."

When Halo 3 came around I just flat out stopped caring about the story. It was pretty much garbage. However, at least, Halo 3 returned some of what was missing in Halo 2. That was "massive scale combat." That, to me, is what makes Halo...Halo. So, to not have that, and have only 4 enemies spawn at a time - Halo 2 had the lowest enemies counts out of all the Halos - was just a slap in the face to what made the original so different.

So, I cannot concede or acknowledge Halo 2 being a good game. It sucked.

Disagree. The game was unfinished. The story goes nowhere for a very long time and you play a lot of scenarios that are more or less pointless. Then, it cuts off and Halo 3 ends what should of been in Halo 2.

Honestly, I want them to remake Halo 2 and include Halo 3 in the game. That's the only way I can ever seeing it work "story wise."

When Halo 3 came around I just flat out stopped caring about the story. It was pretty much garbage. However, at least, Halo 3 returned some of what was missing in Halo 2. That was "massive scale combat." That, to me, is what makes Halo...Halo. So, to not have that, and have only 4 enemies spawn at a time - Halo 2 had the lowest enemies counts out of all the Halos - was just a slap in the face to what made the original so different.

So, I cannot concede or acknowledge Halo 2 being a good game. It sucked.

Agree to disagree, at least you have solid reasoning!

Wow.

That comic.

Essentially, create a high-quality cinematic of that dialogue, mix in some war-footage-style gameplay flashbacks as a sort of trauma... Activision may have gotten a pre-order out of me.

Instead we got trailers for Brown™: The game.

The only story I know is fighting some weird monster dudes, cause they're evil. Then somehow, start fighting robots, because...robots.

The only story I know is fighting some weird monster dudes, cause they're evil. Then somehow, start fighting robots, because...robots.

Sales estimate:

upiphotos884142-MARKETS-PLUNGE.jpg

so glad this did not come to PC, would have wasted my money lol

So have any of the Destiny bashers in this thread actuall played the game? I could care less about the story (but then I wouldn't care at all). The game is a friggin blast.

Fun game. I log plenty of hours, gameplay is great. The story is complete trash though. It was not this epic story that they originally talked about. I heard a year ago it was due to a shake up in the company and they had to quickly get something out the door. Sucks because it could have been so much greater. But I enjoy loot hunting, so stuff like this or diablo are a blast for me.

I think there is enough of the plot explained for one's imagination to take hold and fill in the gaps, even if you don't read through the grimoires. Frankly the introduction of the original game was enough to hook me and play it nonstop. The one area the game is severely lacking is PvE content. Even after two DLC and one expansion it still only feels like about one-third of a complete game. But the set pieces, strikes, raids, and bosses they have are all very awesome. Like a lot of people playing Destiny, it's a game I love to hate and hate to love...

I wonder what it's like for a new player to play through it. Because the game is so sparse in story until the Taken King, which sort of feels heavy handed by comparison.

So have any of the Destiny bashers in this thread actuall played the game? I could care less about the story (but then I wouldn't care at all). The game is a friggin blast.

I have a lvl 30 titan and still think the game is crap. Sure, it's a fun game, for the first few days. Then you're just doing the same stupid missions over and over again. Playing online with some friends helps extend the fun time, but even that starts to get old.

Then you have the crucible, which is nothing more than pvp with shotguns, cause really. That's the only thing ppl use.

A lot of us were looking forward to something like Halo. A good story with good single player or co-op campaign. They did good with the single player co-op, but left out the good story part.

I have a lvl 30 titan and still think the game is crap. Sure, it's a fun game, for the first few days. Then you're just doing the same stupid missions over and over again. Playing online with some friends helps extend the fun time, but even that starts to get old.

Then you have the crucible, which is nothing more than pvp with shotguns, cause really. That's the only thing ppl use.

A lot of us were looking forward to something like Halo. A good story with good single player or co-op campaign. They did good with the single player co-op, but left out the good story part.

So you haven't given the Taken King a try? The year 2 content is quite fun, but I could see how somebody would be burnt out enough to leave the game. I didn't play for a few weeks leading up to TTK since I was bored with it. I'm enjoying the year 2 content though, and suggest that skeptics give TTK at least a try before they knock it. Story was never meant to be this game's strong suit. The activities that require teamwork to accomplish are some of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in recent memory.

Also, good snipers and/or sidearms are quite good in crucible now, so not everyone uses a shotgun in PVP; however, the ideal setup definitely depends on play style, game mode, and map.

So you haven't given the Taken King a try? The year 2 content is quite fun, but I could see how somebody would be burnt out enough to leave the game. I didn't play for a few weeks leading up to TTK since I was bored with it. I'm enjoying the year 2 content though, and suggest that skeptics give TTK at least a try before they knock it. Story was never meant to be this game's strong suit. The activities that require teamwork to accomplish are some of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in recent memory.

Also, good snipers and/or sidearms are quite good in crucible now, so not everyone uses a shotgun in PVP; however, the ideal setup definitely depends on play style, game mode, and map.
I, myself, am quite happy that Scout Rifles are now quite capable in the Crucible. SR has always been my weapon of choice :cool:.

I, myself, am quite happy that Scout Rifles are now quite capable in the Crucible. SR has always been my weapon of choice :cool:.

I'll have to agree that Crucible is in a much better place now without 80-90% of people using thorns, and auto rifles are actually usable now without being at a severe disadvantage.

Maybe when I can get it for $10, but I feel I'll be let down if I pay the current full price for it (what's it? $40 right now?)

Maybe when I can get it for $10, but I feel I'll be let down if I pay the current full price for it (what's it? $40 right now?)

It is worth its price if you have some friends to play with. If you are going for solo content or just PUGS, I would say let it drop in price and get it on a sale. I find myself having a blast with my buds but when they aren't online I either grind leveling rifles in it or play something else.

I completely skipped House of Wolves. So, TTK was a nice welcome back!

I completely skipped House of Wolves. So, TTK was a nice welcome back!

Yeah you didn't miss much by skipping House of Wolves, and TTK is a blast. It feels as if the game went from beta to final release with TTK.

I got a PS4 for Disgaea 5. Came with Destiny and the whole expansion and all that. I guess I can give it a try sometime. Still haven't even taken it out of the box, but I think I read one of the coupons inside expires on the 30th. Frankly from all I've heard I don't really care about trying it too much but whatever.

Last Halo I did was Halo 3. I played through the campaign on legendary as soon as I got it and then pretty much just dropped it after doing a little bit of MP. I didn't like Halo 2 nearly as much as I did Halo, for many reasons. Halo 3 kinda felt like Halo 1.5 (that is (1+2)/2). What ticked me off is that the only reason I got my Xbox 360 was for Halo 3, practically. Beyond that the console has been doing nothing but collecting dust. I now refuse to buy the Xb1 and I haven't bought a Halo related game since. The only reason I got this Destiny PS4 bundle was because it was the cheapest at the time.

Since some people are saying it's similar to Diablo 3, I guess I may enjoy it a bit. Question is how similar, I suppose...

I own the game. Preordered day before launch. "story" sucked, game sucked. Played for 2 weeks and haven't touched it since. Waste of money

Destiny was a game lauded as a story heavy, mmo-like, "true-vision of bungie" FPS. In reality it was a game lacking any story, with decent gameplay, and minimal content.

It is one of the greatest bait/switch pulled by the industry ever.

Seriously one of the most underwhelming and soulless games I've ever played. They did the bare minimum to make a cohesive game.

In was on heavy opiates following surgery for a few weeks while watching my ex play this game (one of my favourite pastimes). Not even hydromorphone made destiny fun to watch, and hydromorphone even makes doing your laundry fun.

It is worth its price if you have some friends to play with. If you are going for solo content or just PUGS, I would say let it drop in price and get it on a sale. I find myself having a blast with my buds but when they aren't online I either grind leveling rifles in it or play something else.

All my friends quit playing it, cause...same stuff over and over again. I have one buddy that was playing it after we all quit, but even he quit and doesn't plan on getting TTK.

Back