Tesla Guards Allegedly Smashed Journalists' Car Window

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is one of those stories where it doesn't matter who you believe, the whole thing still sounds crazy. :D Thanks to cageymaru for the link.

Security guards at Tesla's Gigafactory have been accused of violently confronting two journalists from the Reno Gazette-Journal. Earlier this month, Tesla said two reporters from the publication illegally trespassed on the company's property and reversed their car into an employee, but the RGJ is now disputing the company's characterization of events.

Those reporters should've never been around the Gigafactory knowing that they weren't allowed in and that it's still under construction. Why the hell are they out in the middle of nowhere and stirring up trouble?

Why are they here?

34X9knW.png

Sounds like a lie being twisted into attention - which coincidentally is exactly the professional industry of these reporters, who, again coincidentally are not adverse to breaking the law to get said attention.

So, are the criminals trying to cause a stir, lying to cause more of a stir? I say yes.

The journalists write words for a living but they cannot read a sign that says, "Private Property". :rolleyes:

Show me a journalist who doesn't travel with a video/audio-recording device....unless they're someplace they know they shouldn't be where video and/or GPS coordinates might be called into question.

I know the photog in question (I worked in State Gov in Carson City for a few years) and lets just say he likes to manufacture issues, along with the other RGJ Staff. They have a HUGE grudge against Gov Sandoval whom readily beat thier shoe-in for gov, Rory Reid.

Lets just say this comes as no shock.

Ahhhh, Tesla. They just aren't catching a break the end of this year. Consumer Reports also hit up their car as "worse than average" ratings.

They're probably PLA spies disguised as journalists sent by Apple to steal secrets for China to destroy another US innovator llike GT Advanced, Mission Motors, etc. I say deport them.

"One of the guards is reported to have "displayed" a knife to the pair before reaching through the broken window and severing the seatbelt "near the head of the RGJ driver." Glogovac says that Barron was then dragged out of the car and pushed "face-first in the dirt with a knee or foot in his back," while the guard taunted him, saying: "Now who’s the tough guy?"

Most badass security guards ever.

If I can get a Kickstarter funded for 15 grand or so, I'll go down there and see what happens. Stretch goals for going armed to various degrees, and high dollar backers can specify what I say to the guards.

Arrascada said Barron sustained a bruise “the size of a cantaloupe” on his left arm.
The dude either is Mr Universe or quite obese to have arms large enough to represent a cantaloupe.

1. None of us were there, so we can't say for sure what happened. Hopefully there will be video of the event.
  2. If they were trespassing, then the proper thing to do would be to call the police.
  3. Security guards DO NOT have the powers of law enforcement, and are not allowed to try to apprehend anyone. They can force people to leave, block them from entering, but once off premises they need to leave the matter to police.

My guess would be that they journalists are misrepresenting the facts in this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if the oppisite were true. It's not as if we haven't seen examples of tech giants taking the law into their own hands in the past, like with Apple's raids in the aftermath of the "iPhone prototype left in bar" hubbub.

You don't need to be there to know that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. No matter how you slice it, I'm sure they were up to no good.

You don't need to be there to know that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. No matter how you slice it, I'm sure they were up to no good.

Wrong.

If - as they say - they were in a parking lot overlooking the facility, they were well within their rights to be there and take as many pictures as they'd like.

It is perfectly legal to take pictures of anything visible from public spaces (with the exception of a few protected military installations) and there is nothing anyone can legally do to prevent this.

Same thing goes for an individual. If you are in a place that is visible to the public, it is perfectly legal for anyone who wants to to take your picture, and use it as they see fit, with only a few exceptions (for instance, if used in advertising, there could be consent required, and royalties due) but photos are the property of the photographer, not of the subjects, regardless of what is in them, as long as there was no trespassing required in order to get to the place they were taken.

This has been to the supreme court and back, and is the law of the land.

Zarathustra[H];1041923833 said:
Wrong.

If - as they say - they were in a parking lot overlooking the facility, they were well within their rights to be there and take as many pictures as they'd like.

It is perfectly legal to take pictures of anything visible from public spaces (with the exception of a few protected military installations) and there is nothing anyone can legally do to prevent this.

Same thing goes for an individual. If you are in a place that is visible to the public, it is perfectly legal for anyone who wants to to take your picture, and use it as they see fit, with only a few exceptions (for instance, if used in advertising, there could be consent required, and royalties due) but photos are the property of the photographer, not of the subjects, regardless of what is in them, as long as there was no trespassing required in order to get to the place they were taken.

This has been to the supreme court and back, and is the law of the land.

Yes, everything you say is right, but you're giving the reporters of the benefit of the doubt and the general description of the altercation with the guards makes it seem like they were definitely fucking around.

They're probably PLA spies disguised as journalists sent by Apple to steal secrets for China to destroy another US innovator llike GT Advanced, Mission Motors, etc. I say deport them.

Only you could pull something like this off.

Yes, everything you say is right, but you're giving the reporters of the benefit of the doubt and the general description of the altercation with the guards makes it seem like they were definitely fucking around.

All I am saying is that without any further evidence, we don't know.

Neither side is above suspicion.

Back