Graphics Supply Constraints Solved, R9 Fury Series To See Wide Availability In Q4

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
At the company’s Q3 teleconference, AMD President and CEO Lisa Su suggested that the supply constraints affecting the R9 Fury Series have been “largely solved.”

…due to the limited supply, many e-tailers had begun selling AMD Radeon R9 Fury X cards at prices 200 to 250 dollars above MSRP. Essentially adding a 31-38% premium over the official $650 asking price of the R9 Fury X. This highlighted the steep imbalance of demand over supply of AMD’s Fiji based HBM graphics card at the time.

She must be speaking about Amazon or something. Neweggs prices have been normal the entire time from what I can tell. More like she sounds like she is trying to blame others for AMD's shortcomings. :rolleyes:

She must be speaking about Amazon or something. Neweggs prices have been normal the entire time from what I can tell. More like she sounds like she is trying to blame others for AMD's shortcomings. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I think they have yet to have any clue at all what the customers want. After all, they never came out and said that the 9370 and 9590 where the final CPU's they were to make. So many people wanted a Steamroller based CPU that AMD burned their bridges with all the secrecy.

Why would anyone spend more than the MSRP on the Fury X? There's not even the excuse for Bitcoin mining like there was for awhile with the 7970.

Didn't this already happen? Newegg had three brands of Fury X available last night when I looked, and some were well below MSRP.

Given the lackluster reviews, I'm not sure why anyone would pay above MSRP when Nvidia apparently has cards that are competitive available below the Fury X's msrp.
For me there are 2 things I want: bang for the buck and low power usage (esp when not gaming). If you're a high end buyer, it seems like Nvidia is currently winning both those battles.
I really hope AMD puts out a fast/efficient card in the next 6 months. I don't want them to go away.

I would MUCH rather spend above MSRP for ANY AMD product then give even a dime to Nvidia for any of their BS practises which over at minimum the last decade has given them even more funds to be corrupt in nearly every aspect of the tech world. Everyone picks their own poison, but look at everything not just "zomg, it performs better in certain circumstances and uses less power" At what true cost I ask, think about that before you just look at the emblem attached to the product.

Buy into corruption, and that is all you will have left. Remember at this point looking at the FULL picture AMD and Radeon support more of the overall industry in more things, with modern ways of doing things when it comes to gpu related as well, they brought GDDR pretty much every version out or had major hand in it, advanced solder/TIM, XDMA, DX12/Vulkan via mantle by far more complete in every aspect then Nvidia offers WITHOUT LYING ABOUT IT, more advanced and open forms of VR the list goes on.

Keep touting that Nvidia is the best choice, you will end up paying dearly for that "support" when everything is under lock and key as they want it to be, Gameworks, Geforce Experience, PhysX are tips of that iceberg.

I but whatever is the best bang for the buck. I've owned both S3, AMD/ATI, Nvidia and Voodoo cards over the years. I'm totally agnostic on brands. When AMD is back, that's what I'll get. My next GPU will be in the next year. We'll see where AMD/Nvidia are at that time. If AMD isn't there, they lose my money. It's the same with the CPU market. For 3/4 of the last decade, I was all about AMD. But that ended in 2007. I looked again in 2010 and it was still Intel. 2015? Intel. Maybe that will change. I hope it does, but until then, AMD won't get my business.

I would MUCH rather spend above MSRP for ANY AMD product then give even a dime to Nvidia for any of their BS practises which over at minimum the last decade has given them even more funds to be corrupt in nearly every aspect of the tech world. Everyone picks their own poison, but look at everything not just "zomg, it performs better in certain circumstances and uses less power" At what true cost I ask, think about that before you just look at the emblem attached to the product.

Buy into corruption, and that is all you will have left. Remember at this point looking at the FULL picture AMD and Radeon support more of the overall industry in more things, with modern ways of doing things when it comes to gpu related as well, they brought GDDR pretty much every version out or had major hand in it, advanced solder/TIM, XDMA, DX12/Vulkan via mantle by far more complete in every aspect then Nvidia offers WITHOUT LYING ABOUT IT, more advanced and open forms of VR the list goes on.

Keep touting that Nvidia is the best choice, you will end up paying dearly for that "support" when everything is under lock and key as they want it to be, Gameworks, Geforce Experience, PhysX are tips of that iceberg.

You need to learn how to be brand agnostic and not be such a fanboi or you're going to find yourself getting ripped off.

AMD has been putting out junk for awhile now and their driver support is dreadful.

You need to learn how to be brand agnostic and not be such a fanboi or you're going to find yourself getting ripped off.

AMD has been putting out junk for awhile now and their driver support is dreadful.

I think you should read your own words fanboi.
Your last sentence is completely unqualified. But thats what fanboi's do.

How so? nVidia releases new drivers every month and sometimes more frequently. AMD fired most of their driver team. You're lucky if you get two AMD Catalyst releases a year.

I have an AMD APU based HTPC. Hardware acceleration for Kodi/XBMC is completely broken in Windows 10. Yet AMD hasn't release a driver for three months. I have another HTPC that's Intel based that doesn't have this issue. I'd actually go as far as to say that intel has better support for their graphics products at this point than AMD.

Sounds like you need a drink.

How so? nVidia releases new drivers every month and sometimes more frequently. AMD fired most of their driver team. You're lucky if you get two AMD Catalyst releases a year.

I have an AMD APU based HTPC. Hardware acceleration for Kodi/XBMC is completely broken in Windows 10. Yet AMD hasn't release a driver for three months. I have another HTPC that's Intel based that doesn't have this issue. I'd actually go as far as to say that intel has better support for their graphics products at this point than AMD.

I have to agree with this. AMD once finally had it's driver house in order (starting around the HD4870 Days), but now it seems like they kept the bottom of the barrel to save money, and gave them an outhouse to work in. Drivers over the last year have sucked.

It all started downhill when they did the really pathetic re-branding bullshit to the 2xx series. I feel quite certain the same "Executive" is responsible for both changes, and should be fired and forced to drive a Yugo for the rest of his/her life.

I have to agree with this. AMD once finally had it's driver house in order (starting around the HD4870 Days), but now it seems like they kept the bottom of the barrel to save money, and gave them an outhouse to work in. Drivers over the last year have sucked.

It all started downhill when they did the really pathetic re-branding bullshit to the 2xx series. I feel quite certain the same "Executive" is responsible for both changes, and should be fired and forced to drive a Yugo for the rest of his/her life.

Wow. Just wow. You have a whole imaginary world developed upon every point you make.
"Bottom of the barrel", "outhouse to work in", "pathetic re-branding".
Your obvious bro. Really obvious. Embarrassingly obvious. So obvious that I think it should cost you the sliver of cred you own. Kidding, you have no cred from anyone who just read that drivel.
Only the most vocal fanboi will stick their dick out after that bullshit.

Well not sure where you have been last 3-4 years, AMD has always been blaming someone else their failures. AMD claims performance of 30% over another card but those claims appear to be a lie. So AMD calls those reviewers biased and unfair on twitter.

Given the lackluster reviews, I'm not sure why anyone would pay above MSRP when Nvidia apparently has cards that are competitive available below the Fury X's msrp.
For me there are 2 things I want: bang for the buck and low power usage (esp when not gaming). If you're a high end buyer, it seems like Nvidia is currently winning both those battles.
I really hope AMD puts out a fast/efficient card in the next 6 months. I don't want them to go away.
Yea Funny part of those 200+$ markups on amazon is that was original price AMD wanted to charge for it. Funny how it people were quick to call out when AMD forced prices down but last few times its been Nvidia forcing prices lower. First with the 970 that forced 500+$ r9 290 cards to 300$ range then 980ti that forced what was looking like 850$ fury X to 650$.

I think you should read your own words fanboi.
Your last sentence is completely unqualified. But thats what fanboi's do.
Yea um seen performance of AMD cards in DX11? Spoiler, its crap. Before you try to say DX11 is done, no its far from gone for least next 2-3 years.

Well not sure where you have been last 3-4 years, AMD has always been blaming someone else their failures. AMD claims performance of 30% over another card but those claims appear to be a lie. So AMD calls those reviewers biased and unfair on twitter..

Are you for real bro?
"AMD claims performance of 30% over another card"
What? Could you be less specific please. Your half-assed comment that is borderline imbecile does not need any, ANY clarification.
Do you think (cough) because you can type that somehow you will say anything of value? Your post is embarrassing. Really embarrassing. My suggestion is, don't try to say a bunch of shit at once. Maybe pick a real point and debate it.
PS- don't bring twitter into the conversation. It only reflects like a mirror of what you are showing to the world. You do NOT need more of that!

Yea um seen performance of AMD cards in DX11? Spoiler, its crap. Before you try to say DX11 is done, no its far from gone for least next 2-3 years.

Surely you jest :D
We will not talk DX12 so you can save face, but are you talking the same DX11 where AMD cards stay competitive with multi gen's of Nvidia's best?
Me and everyone here would LOVE (demand) where you show AMD to lack performance in DX11. Spoiler please? Can't wait to see "ITS CRAP", ya show us please.

You must be fun at parties. Oh, also, don't go into any business field :D.

Come on, even at baseball games from small to pro's fanboys rave and make noise and behave at times rather immaturely. Part of the game. I've seen fanboys of AMD/ATI/Nvidia switch sides and still scream the same song but with a few different words. Human nature.

As for this generation from bottom to top - it really ain't that far apart from each other unless one is utterly stuck on a very narrow view and ignore all the other trees.

Wow. Just wow. You have a whole imaginary world developed upon every point you make.
Your obvious bro. Really obvious. Embarrassingly obvious. So obvious that I think it should cost you the sliver of cred you own. Kidding, you have no cred from anyone who just read that drivel.

If I read your 3 or 4 insulting posts in this thread, I'd say it would not be difficult to figure which brand you favor.

I also think it's possible to discuss things without insulting people.

Both of these companies have faults and both have good products.

I own products from both. AMD has had it's share of problems lately, but that doesn't give NVidia any awards,either.

As an outsider who currently owns all nVidia products but used to have many ATI products. It's nice to even be able to play games at obscene resolutions and detail without breaking a sweat. No matter the company.

That funky munky guy. What the hell did you do to him? I'm convinced he's just trolling to troll.

I would say the availability was solved by people not buying anymore of these crap re-branded cards.

I would say the availability was solved by people not buying anymore of these crap re-branded cards.

oh wise one please show us how cards that iniolated kepler and battle maxwell are crap oh wise nvidia fangirl please show us with your the way its meant to be chearleaded pom poms.

The only reason why there was no stock before was because a bajillion people had to RMA their cards due to the noisy pumps. Now that they have RMA'ed the entire first batch they have stock again. By no means was the Fury X ever a good seller. AMD has a real turkey on their hands. How they could leave HDMI 2.0 off a card like that is mind boggling.

The cult of NVIDIA is strong in this thread.

Well, someone had to balance out dragonstongue (takes quite a few in his case) :p

Anyway I don't think you have to be pro nVidia to tell that AMD has made quite a few misstep recently with their Fury line of product. I wouldn't say it's an engineering problem as Fury is quite a decent GPU and could have been more competitive had they price it right.

Instead, it seem to me that they were so caught up in the race for upper tier crown that not only did they oversold the card prior to launch, they also stubbornly price it at that 980Ti tier pricing despite the performance not being quite there. The 980Ti was already out by then, they knew how things would stack up. They could have easily drop its price by 50 bucks and gain an advantage, but they didn't.

IMO, I'd say these issues are management issues.

I'm no expert on this, but as a rule, it does seem to take a couple of years before games start pushing for the new DX. The only reason I can think of that it might move faster this time is that 12 is supposed to be backwards compatible.

Well, someone had to balance out dragonstongue (takes quite a few in his case) :p

Anyway I don't think you have to be pro nVidia to tell that AMD has made quite a few misstep recently with their Fury line of product. I wouldn't say it's an engineering problem as Fury is quite a decent GPU and could have been more competitive had they price it right.

Instead, it seem to me that they were so caught up in the race for upper tier crown that not only did they oversold the card prior to launch, they also stubbornly price it at that 980Ti tier pricing despite the performance not being quite there. The 980Ti was already out by then, they knew how things would stack up. They could have easily drop its price by 50 bucks and gain an advantage, but they didn't.

IMO, I'd say these issues are management issues.

Did they also say it was going to be the fastest card on the market? I distinctly recall a lot of people saying they were putting off an Nvidia purchase until the new AMD cards were out. Maybe the new memory makes the cards more expensive and requires a higher price. If so, that strikes me as an engineering and management mistake. My guess is they expected better performance from the card than they go, but maybe they didn't expect Nvidia's 980 cards to be as fast as they are.

When is AMD supposed to have a new architecture? I hope it's soon. They really need a win.

You must be fun at parties. Oh, also, don't go into any business field :D.

Except he's largely right. Trying rooting out a market leader when everything they make is proprietary and solely created to keep you buying their products. Have an NVIDIA card? Buy a $1000 g-sync monitor. Need a videocard upgrade? Well it wouldn't behoove you to buy the competitor card, even if it's better, because that means you would have to replace your monitor too.

Except he's largely right. Trying rooting out a market leader when everything they make is proprietary and solely created to keep you buying their products. Have an NVIDIA card? Buy a $1000 g-sync monitor. Need a videocard upgrade? Well it wouldn't behoove you to buy the competitor card, even if it's better, because that means you would have to replace your monitor too.

I guess we'll see what happens. I have to say that sync tech isn't likely to play a role in my next monitor purchase. When people buy small 4k TVs for gaming, do they support G-Sync tech?

Did they also say it was going to be the fastest card on the market? I distinctly recall a lot of people saying they were putting off an Nvidia purchase until the new AMD cards were out. Maybe the new memory makes the cards more expensive and requires a higher price. If so, that strikes me as an engineering and management mistake. My guess is they expected better performance from the card than they go, but maybe they didn't expect Nvidia's 980 cards to be as fast as they are.

When is AMD supposed to have a new architecture? I hope it's soon. They really need a win.

I was referring to the claims about 4k, HBM capacity not comparable to GDDR, etc which was covered in [H]'s article. I do agree though that if HBM wasn't ready in terms of cost or capacity for example, and the engineers went ahead, then they share the blame.

I don't think we'll see a completely new architecture anytime soon, but I've heard of opinions saying they could refresh Fury with HBM 2.0 which will bring more capacity. With the new 16nm coming up as well, maybe AMD can release a Fury 2.0 next year, with HBM 2.0 and more cores on 16nm.

If they can do that, and release it before nVidia's Maxwell, I'd imagine that will be good for them.

I bet you support bernie sanders :rolleyes:

If they can do that, and release it before nVidia's Maxwell, I'd imagine that will be good for them.

You mean Pascal, right? Either way, it'd be good if they can get something new out ASAP, but my gut says that it'd have to be months before nVidia or people will wait and compare. I know that'd be my inclination (regardless of who came first).

You mean Pascal, right? Either way, it'd be good if they can get something new out ASAP, but my gut says that it'd have to be months before nVidia or people will wait and compare. I know that'd be my inclination (regardless of who came first).

Yes, my bad. I meant Pascal :eek:

I agree, too close and people would definitely wait to see how Pascal compares.

Back