Russian Hackers Breached Dow Jones

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's alarming that everyone, including the FBI, are aware of the intrusions but Dow Jones says they have "no information from the authorities about any such alleged matter." Yikes. :eek:

Russian hackers had infiltrated Dow Jones & Co to steal information to trade on before it was made public, and the breach was "far more serious than a lower-grade intrusion" disclosed by the company, Bloomberg reported, citing sources.

Even if they really did, they won't admit in publicly. That's the case in most hacking cases.

And we know it's Russian Hackers how?

Please tell me they sent a notarized letter admitting guilt (I'd even take a certified Twitter account), and not because the IP address originated from Russia.

Also check out the caption on the picture on the news story

r.jpeg

A man types on a computer keyboard in Warsaw in this February 28, 2013 illustration file picture.

Really????

And we know it's X group of Hackers how?

Well, since you asked, and I'm a malware analyst these days... Because of a few things without being involved in the case at all.

1. Went for money (TTP)
2. High Profile Target
3. I presume the malware was advanced.
4. Probably worked certain hours.
5. Probably used a known crimeware botnet for masking.
6. etc...

You will never get me to say with certainty it is X group, because you can't. But you can draw conclusions.

It's like you get a letter saying you won a fortune, everyone says it's the Nigerian's, because it probably is, but you can't prove it without following the trail.

I love this chart for explaining:

https://www.alienvault.com/blog-content/threat_intelligence_pyramid_of_pain.png

I saw it at their Defcon presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG6QlHOAWiE

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

And we know it's Russian Hackers how?

Please tell me they sent a notarized letter admitting guilt (I'd even take a certified Twitter account), and not because the IP address originated from Russia.

Also check out the caption on the picture on the news story

r.jpeg

Really????

they dont, its just that russia is the flavor of the month.. you know Syria and stuff.

You would be amazed at what big dumbasses some of these guys are. This is especially true when it comes to Chinese hackers, they just don't give a fuck if you backtrace their location. As for the Russian angle, it probably had to do with investments made based off of the hacked data. Since they were pulling news data before it was released, it would be trivial to see who profited off of this data consistently.

Back