Affordable Camera Sees Things Invisible To The Naked Eye

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers from the University of Washington and Microsoft Research have developed a camera that can actually see your viens. As far as I know, it can't see through clothes but it can tell if melons are ripe. :D

The team of computer science and electrical engineers developed HyperCam, a lower-cost hyperspectral camera that uses both visible and invisible near-infrared light to “see” beneath surfaces and capture unseen details. This type of camera is typically used in industrial applications and can cost between several thousand to tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
There's an even lower cost version:

esbW3zw.jpg

In all seriousness, I'd use the hell out of this thing in the fruit & veg aisle.

As far as I know, it can't see though close but it can tell if melons are ripe. :D

Can it see how many beers you had before you typed that sentence?

I have often thought about this actually. Why not make a sensor that is sensitive to a different spectrum. Like a CCD that is sensitive to RF frequencies and the "light" can come from things like cell phones and cell phone towers?

This would work wonders in the battle field.

Maybe visible light is unique in how well it diffuses and reflects?

Researchers from the University of Washington and Microsoft Research have developed a camera that can actually see your viens. As far as I know, it can't see though close but it can tell if melons are ripe. :D

This sentence is worthy of a YouTube comment.

Back