How Many Laser Pointers Would It Take to Kill a Human?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Have you ever wondered how many laser pointers it would take to kill someone? If you answered "yes" to that question, you need help. By the way, this is your answer:

For a laser to kill someone it essentially needs to be hot enough to boil or burn the tissue. It would take about a 1kW laser to boil through someone’s eye to their brain in a reasonable amount of time, meaning they probably couldn’t get away. Each cat toy level laser pointer is roughly 5mW. It would take 200,000 laser pointers all focusing through a lens to an exact point to create a laser powerful enough to kill.

1kW? pfft. We're better off waiting till phased plasma in the 40 watt range becomes available.

Just a matter of time before the release of a Magnetic Accelerator Gun, which displaces the flow of neutrons through a nonlinear cycloid electromagnetic accumulator.

One, from 35K feet pointing into the cockpit. /sarcasm

3671525-3346674585-mj-la.gif

It would take 200,000 laser pointers all focusing through a lens to an exact point to create a laser powerful enough to kill.[/I]

Ok Myth Busters time... lets get em to build one and test it out :0

You could probably cause more damage by dropping 4 tons of laser pointers on the target instead (200,000 x 20g each pointer w/ battery is about 4 long tons).

Just a matter of time before the release of a Magnetic Accelerator Gun, which displaces the flow of neutrons through a nonlinear cycloid electromagnetic accumulator.

Heck with that, I want a working Zero-Point-Energy-Manipulator already

Where are you going to find 200k people to hold and press those buttons? That seems like a difficult thing to do. Maybe 100k if each person holds 2.

Where are you going to find 200k people to hold and press those buttons? That seems like a difficult thing to do. Maybe 100k if each person holds 2.

Or 50K if each person held two in their mouth, and one in each hand.

Can't you just blind them with a slightly more powerful laser and then let them kill themselves trying to get home?

Nothing says you need to use lasers, you could use any light. It's energy, and with enough energy you would make the temperature hot enough to burn skin. There's a movie that did that with a bunch of lights once, as people logged into the website to they added to the energy of the lights or something like that... Fear dot com? or some other silly internet horror flick.

Couldn't we just macguyver that sucker and crank up the power 20,000 times with a pen and a piece of chewing gum :cool:

One, from 35K feet pointing into the cockpit. /sarcasm

Or just hold it really tight will impaling it into their skull over and over again. Didn't say that the laser had to be the part of the laser pointer that was doing the killing.

Nothing says you need to use lasers, you could use any light. It's energy, and with enough energy you would make the temperature hot enough to burn skin. There's a movie that did that with a bunch of lights once, as people logged into the website to they added to the energy of the lights or something like that... Fear dot com? or some other silly internet horror flick.

A nice glass magnifying glass focusing the sun would work just fine.

Why do you need to kill them? Blinding them can be done a lot easier and with as few as one laser pointers.

Just one pointed at the face of someone with a gun and a short temper would kill a human
:cool:

Or just hold it really tight will impaling it into their skull over and over again. Didn't say that the laser had to be the part of the laser pointer that was doing the killing.

Actually my green laser is big enough to pummel someone quite readily. But you have to be careful while pummelling because you might hit the power button and burn their eye out while doing it.

There are some ebay postings claiming to have 10w laser pointers.

Normally I'd be tempted to pick up one, but.... I don't have a use case for it, and would probably end up setting fire to my face.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually my green laser is big enough to pummel someone quite readily. But you have to be careful while pummelling because you might hit the power button and burn their eye out while doing it.

just as long as it isn't your eyes I think you are good.

There are some ebay postings claiming to have 10w laser pointers.

Normally I'd be tempted to pick up one, but.... I don't have a use case for it, and would probably end up setting fire to my face.

Yeah, I'm sure i'd accidentally hit some reflective surface and cause permanent damage to my vision. Just messing around isn't worth all that.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back