Tesla's Autopilot System Is Awesome And Creepy

I'm digging the fact that it shows you what the sensors are seeing. The whole self driving thing just makes me want a Tesla that much more.

I wanted a Tesla a while back, was really torn for a few months prior to the lease end, but ended up trading my lease in for another equally priced sports car instead (manual of course). Reasoning? I'm not entirely sure how practical these are around the Boston area, mainly being able to find charging stations in the area (from Boston to NY, then up to Maine, RI, etc.). The main things keeping me from an electric car is abundance of filling stations...and that constant nagging voice in the back of my head saying "you can't fill up on gas...hey...stop looking at that gas station asshole, it won't do anything for you". Something convenient about being able to fill a tank of gas in about 1-2 minutes (I'm unbelievably impatient).

"It's weird that I was freaking out before the car did."

Yeah, not so weird. He looks like the type that "freaks out" a lot.

I wanted a Tesla a while back, was really torn for a few months prior to the lease end, but ended up trading my lease in for another equally priced sports car instead (manual of course). Reasoning? I'm not entirely sure how practical these are around the Boston area, mainly being able to find charging stations in the area (from Boston to NY, then up to Maine, RI, etc.). The main things keeping me from an electric car is abundance of filling stations...and that constant nagging voice in the back of my head saying "you can't fill up on gas...hey...stop looking at that gas station asshole, it won't do anything for you". Something convenient about being able to fill a tank of gas in about 1-2 minutes (I'm unbelievably impatient).

Personally I can't justify the price yet. The range is far enough for me with a Tesla, but more affordable electric cars have the range of a thrown tomato and border on useless.

Plus I work at an oil refinery currently. Fossil fuels are part of my employment (not that oil doesn't have far more uses)

Personally I can't justify the price yet. The range is far enough for me with a Tesla, but more affordable electric cars have the range of a thrown tomato and border on useless.

Plus I work at an oil refinery currently. Fossil fuels are part of my employment (not that oil doesn't have far more uses)

It's not the price that really gets me, but the looming fact that I can't just "quickly top up" bothers me to no end. I just can't get over it, and I'm not sure why. I agree with you that the other cars that are much more reasonable, just don't touch the Tesla in range, and so they're entirely out of sight/out of mind for me. I'd rather get 20-25 mpg on the highway, while being able to gun it on back roads, and then fill-up promptly, than drive an anemic vehicle that takes all night to top up. Idk, call me picky, but I've just got a certain type of view when it comes to cars.

Test drive was amazing. The Tech (see below) -

What is up with that 30 fucking whatever inch GPS screen, holy hell.

The screen is one of the best points. Being a big tech guy (programmer career wise), it gives me goosebumps to click around and see what I can discover. The cabin is laid out beautifully too, so in person, the screen just fits so well (I'm a wannabee designer at heart too, well, at least web/app wise).

It's not the price that really gets me, but the looming fact that I can't just "quickly top up" bothers me to no end. I just can't get over it, and I'm not sure why. I agree with you that the other cars that are much more reasonable, just don't touch the Tesla in range, and so they're entirely out of sight/out of mind for me. I'd rather get 20-25 mpg on the highway, while being able to gun it on back roads, and then fill-up promptly, than drive an anemic vehicle that takes all night to top up.

And this is the real problem with electric cars.
90% of my driving is < 20 miles a day which most electric cars would handle.
The problem is the other 10%, which is usually trips of 80 to 150 miles.
Anything short of a Tesla's range just doesn't work, and the Tesla's price doesn't work for me.

Then there is the occasional long road trip, that could be 500-2000 miles. No fun having to stop and sit around while you charge the car a several times a day.

I prefer going in the other direction, having a car with a very long range. My Hybrid Camry has a range of 600+ miles (40mpg x 15 gallons) on a single tank of gas, even in the city. Lets me go weeks without pulling into a gas station.

And this is the real problem with electric cars.
90% of my driving is < 20 miles a day which most electric cars would handle.
The problem is the other 10%, which is usually trips of 80 to 150 miles.
Anything short of a Tesla's range just doesn't work, and the Tesla's price doesn't work for me.

Then there is the occasional long road trip, that could be 500-2000 miles. No fun having to stop and sit around while you charge the car a several times a day.

I prefer going in the other direction, having a car with a very long range. My Hybrid Camry has a range of 600+ miles (40mpg x 15 gallons) on a single tank of gas, even in the city. Lets me go weeks without pulling into a gas station.

That's pretty badass, don't read too much about hybrids these days, but I do know that the Camry (especially the latest version) looks fantastic (inside and out). I suppose my other problem is that I only want ONE car, and I need that car to throw me into the back of my seat. It'll be a while before I give up manuals too.

The screen is one of the best points. Being a big tech guy (programmer career wise), it gives me goosebumps to click around and see what I can discover. The cabin is laid out beautifully too, so in person, the screen just fits so well (I'm a wannabee designer at heart too, well, at least web/app wise).

Strange, I find that to be one of the most irritating things about the car. Not that I have an issue with displays or touch screens in a vehicle in general, but I hate not being able to just reach over, grab a control, and make an adjustment without looking to make sure my hand is exactly in the right spot.

Honda for example decided to start going with touch buttons just to adjust the radio volume... as a result when shopping around lately for a vehicle, I automatically crossed them off my list. Same thing goes for climate controls, I just want to adjust it without looking, speaking, going through a menu, etc. I'm also a tech guy, but I prefer simple usability over "wow, this is neat!".

Strange, I find that to be one of the most irritating things about the car. Not that I have an issue with displays or touch screens in a vehicle in general, but I hate not being able to just reach over, grab a control, and make an adjustment without looking to make sure my hand is exactly in the right spot.

Honda for example decided to start going with touch buttons just to adjust the radio volume... as a result when shopping around lately for a vehicle, I automatically crossed them off my list. Same thing goes for climate controls, I just want to adjust it without looking, speaking, going through a menu, etc. I'm also a tech guy, but I prefer simple usability over "wow, this is neat!".

Just means you are a control freak with heavy OCD tendencies. :p Are you the guy who still likes manual roll down windows because control with electric isn't granular enough or wants it to go faster? Isn't a bad thing...just makes your life more difficult than you need it to be.

I used to be like that too, wanting everything to be very analog, but I've changed since, and wouldn't go back. Once you get used to where things are and how far to move your arm, it becomes second nature.

Same here,touch controls in cars are the devil and they need to die. There are always shitty and offer nothing over analog controls. They also cause more distractions because you have to make sure your finger is on the button. I hate touch screens besides in phones.

My Fusion has touch buttons for everything, and I'm able to adjust stuff without looking. Plus, each "button" has a different feel.

Just means you are a control freak with heavy OCD tendencies. :p Are you the guy who still likes manual roll down windows because control with electric isn't granular enough or wants it to go faster? Isn't a bad thing...just makes your life more difficult than you need it to be.

Nope. The switches for my windows are just fine.

Would you want to go through menus on a touch screen to roll your windows down? I doubt it. There are plenty of vehicles with touch screens that still have physical controls.Can multitask just fine, and I simply don't need to look at the screen to make an adjustment to the climate controls, radio volume, etc. while avoiding inadvertently clicking on something else. You think that makes it more difficult? Not having to look at something while keeping my eyes on the road seems easier to me.

Also, if you need a 17" GPS display in your vehicle to know where to go, please get the hell off the road.

My Fusion has touch buttons for everything, and I'm able to adjust stuff without looking. Plus, each "button" has a different feel.

So... how do you feel a touch button without touching it?

Haptic feedback mechanism. Works wonders.

Also I don't think anyone needs a giant screen...but it sure is badass that it's there.

That's one hell of a haptic feedback mechanism it must have to be able to feel it without touching it. Also looking through the 2016 fusion titanium center console pics, seems to be buttons everywhere, with the older hybrid model being flat, but having giant spaces between everything(while still having a volume knob).

Oh, and I suppose this would be perfect for Trepidati0n:
teatro-for-dayz-1.jpg

So... how do you feel a touch button without touching it?

Some are sunk in. Plus, I'm just able to learn where buttons are? Its not that hard? I'll admit, I laugh a bit when people say they can't figure out where buttons are without physical buttons

Haptic feedback mechanism. Works wonders.

Also I don't think anyone needs a giant screen...but it sure is badass that it's there.

It doesn't have haptic feedback. Just different sunk in buttons and what not.

Some are sunk in. Plus, I'm just able to learn where buttons are? Its not that hard? I'll admit, I laugh a bit when people say they can't figure out where buttons are without physical buttons

Ahh ok. I was confused for a bit because I remember the Fusion Energi had some sort of feedback system to it. My current car basically has a load of buttons, and I see no issue with that. Most of what I'd need to touch on the screen is already dialed in. I'm either/or with car consoles. I would obviously prefer not to have to manually roll up windows and the like, but a solid mixture of touch/analog, in my mind, is best. I do have to admit that the fingerprints bother me to no end though.

I didn't say that I couldn't figure out where they are without physical buttons.

So they're sunk in at different levels, also not a touch screen and there are still giant empty spaces between everything. Why? So you don't hit the wrong button because your hand was a quarter inch to the side.

center-console.jpg

Honestly doesn't seem that hard to guesstimate where a button is when staring at the road.

I have a Fusion Energi. It doesn't have haptic feedback, it has tones though...but I don't personally consider that haptic.

Finger prints are annoying on the screen, I'll give you that. But, for all my controls that aren't on the touch screen, I'm able to find them without looking. Maybe because at my last job I had to reach for 1 switch out of 80 without looking and got comfortable doing that. But either way, lack of physical buttons doesn't even slow me down.

I do wonder about that autopilot though, sure it detects the lane lines and works to keep you in them. Now what happens if
1) Someone else doesn't respect the lane lines as buses and other large vehicles are accustomed to do? Does it also sense vehicles on the side?
2) What happens with lanes on a freshly repaved street where the lines are all crooked as all hell due to the way they put down the temp lines?
3) What happens when you get an older street one that may have had a redirection of traffic flow so you see old lines and new lines? Does it know which are the real lines?

Either way I could see that being useful on long trips where you're mostly driving on deserted roads... but then again... electric powered, long trips are not really going to happen.

What is up with that 30 fucking whatever inch GPS screen, holy hell.

Yeah I was wondering about that too, like some widescreen monitor turned on it's side, and while that is a super awesome map/GPS that's showing on it, I wonder what the long life of that thing is if you happen to park in the sun a lot, will the screen delaminate from the sensors? I'm hoping not considering the cost of the car but damn.

Why? So you don't hit the wrong button because your hand was a quarter inch to the side.

Why is there space? Probably so it doesn't look like a bag of smashed assholes, more than anything. For me, it isn't because I would have otherwise hit the wrong button.

Honestly doesn't seem that hard to guesstimate where a button is when staring at the road.

Still not a touch screen, still has giant gaps between everything, and appears to have a giant physical volume knob in the center.

I wasn't talking about a ford fusion, I wasn't talking about a panel with huge spaced out buttons, this thread is about the tesla model s and I was commenting on the touch screen.

Call it what you will, I remember it being a pretty pleasant experience (about as pleasant as a car console can be I suppose).

Off-topic, but I think I recall we talked about Porsche's a while back OEM? At least in private chat. Honestly, my favorite system so far is in the newer Porsche's, where buttons seemingly dominate every part of the console. Being split 50/50 between preferring analog/touch, the Porsche has a good middle ground I'd say (not menu wise, that's another story), where buttons easily fall to hand, yet the screen is small enough to where you don't need to stretch out your arm.

Still not a touch screen, still has giant gaps between everything, and appears to have a giant physical volume knob in the center.

I wasn't talking about a ford fusion, I wasn't talking about a panel with huge spaced out buttons, this thread is about the tesla model s and I was commenting on the touch screen.

You directly quoted OEM's post about the spacing of his Ford Fusion's buttons...thought we were still on that topic. My bad.

You directly quoted OEM's post about the spacing of his Ford Fusion's buttons...thought we were still on that topic. My bad.

I had assumed his ford fusion had a giant touch screen for everything in the center console(based off of his post, since he brought it up), like the tesla that the thread is about. Turns out it doesn't.

Call it what you will, I remember it being a pretty pleasant experience (about as pleasant as a car console can be I suppose).

Off-topic, but I think I recall we talked about Porsche's a while back OEM? At least in private chat. Honestly, my favorite system so far is in the newer Porsche's, where buttons seemingly dominate every part of the console. Being split 50/50 between preferring analog/touch, the Porsche has a good middle ground I'd say (not menu wise, that's another story), where buttons easily fall to hand, yet the screen is small enough to where you don't need to stretch out your arm.

We do have a 911, and the Fusion

I had assumed his ford fusion had a giant touch screen for everything in the center console(based off of his post, since he brought it up), like the tesla that the thread is about. Turns out it doesn't.

Sorry if I made it sound like it did. It does not, it does have "buttonless buttons" though. I'm just used to memorizing buttons and stuff so it isn't a problem for me.

It sounds like we went slightly OT because everyone misunderstood everyone, oops...lol

That's pretty badass, don't read too much about hybrids these days, but I do know that the Camry (especially the latest version) looks fantastic (inside and out).

600 miles/tank is typical mileage. Since it has a 17 gallon tank, and I can usually get 45+ MPG on the highway (if I keep the speed under 70), I can stretch that to 750 miles (17*45) per tank :)

Plus, unlike the Prius, it's tuned for performance.
It has a combined 200 HP, and good low end power from the electric motor. Not as fast as the current 6 cyl. Camry, but better than some of the 6's I drove years ago, and of course, much better mileage.

I have to say this because it is irritating the fuck out of me, but frankly I'm sick of seeing these overweight, ginger bearded, eyeglass wearing, baby bodied, non-men all over the place. What the hell is happening to males in the US? Granted I'm not a Calvin Klein model, but I hit the gym, try to eat right, get some decent sleep, try to offset some of the shit my genetics has in store for me, but these guys look like soft sacks of butter.

Oh, I'd love to see a diesel/electric hybrid. Why those aren't being made is a mystery to me.

Shit, no edit. I was referencing the guy driving as an example of my above explanation.

I see people complaining about this as a growing trend. Why do you care so much? Aggravated he's doing something you wish you could be doing?

If thats what it is, do something to make that happen for yourself, don't be mad at him and try to make fun of how he looks and be passive aggressive about it by saying "other men" and not singling him out.

I see people complaining about this as a growing trend. Why do you care so much? Aggravated he's doing something you wish you could be doing?

If thats what it is, do something to make that happen for yourself, don't be mad at him and try to make fun of how he looks and be passive aggressive about it by saying "other men" and not singling him out.

Bah, you keep out of it. Us manly men have to sit and criticize the appearance and fashion sense of other men, and discuss how manly they aren't because... oh wait that's not manly at all.

Oh, I'd love to see a diesel/electric hybrid. Why those aren't being made is a mystery to me.

Simple, they would be too expensive.

Diesel adds around $3,000 to the price of the car. The hybrid components add around $4000.
Most people would not be willing to pay an extra $7,000 to buy a diesel hybrid.

Maybe an electric car with a small diesel generator as a range extender might make sense, since you could get more miles out of a small fuel tank with diesel.

Tested Autopilot on the way home today, found it to be cool, yet just as scary at times like in the video. I had one instance where it got confused and it started to follow the truck ahead of me into the off ramp, so I had to grab the steering wheel and correct it. Doing that turned off the autopilot function, but other than that it works pretty well considering our typical shitty roads.

Also, the 17" screen can be split into an active rear view camera and nav, or any other window, which is what I typically use it for. I prefer it over the rear view mirror.

Back