Compulsive Texting Takes Toll on Teenagers

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you have a teenager, none of this will come as a surprise.

The study of more than 400 eighth and 11th graders found that many teenage texters had a lot in common with compulsive gamblers, including losing sleep because of texting, problems cutting back on texting and lying to cover up the amount of time they spent texting.

Indeed.

Also interesting to read are studies on reduced aviculture to concentrate on 1 large yeah due to texting and hyperlinks constantly interrupting thinking patterns as the brain is developing. Interesting stuff.

* reduced ability to concentrate.

Oye that autocorrect...

I initially read the title as

"Compulsive Taxing Takes Toll on Teenagers"

and was wondering why it was only affecting teenagers.

If you have a teenager, none of this will come as a surprise.

The study of more than 400 eighth and 11th graders found that many teenage texters had a lot in common with compulsive gamblers, including losing sleep because of texting, problems cutting back on texting and lying to cover up the amount of time they spent texting.

no one under the age of 18 should have access to a smartphone or smart device period... all they should have is a dumb flip phone to send and receive calls. one they turn 18 they take a class and bam they can get a smartphone

Breaking news! Teenagers stay up late and waste time doing stupid shit! Oh, and girls like to talk a lot.

the researchers cautioned that the students’ academic performance was self-reported.

To summarize, the 'study' doesn't tell us anything.

no one under the age of 18 should have access to a smartphone or smart device period... all they should have is a dumb flip phone to send and receive calls. one they turn 18 they take a class and bam they can get a smartphone

Still plenty of text messaging that can happen on those things.

Hell, I'm 31 and I still use a dumb flip phone. I would never be able to justify the cost of a "smart" phone in my own personal life.

Hell, I'm 31 and I still use a dumb flip phone. I would never be able to justify the cost of a "smart" phone in my own personal life.

Same age and same situation. I'm always near a computer so what's the need for a $500 phone that'll cost me unforetold amounts per month for inferior performance and access? ($20 every 3 months for my $5 flip phone)

For waiting rooms a good book is still the best option.

I like texting for quick messaging. I don't like to have a conversation with texts, I'd rather talk.

?

You can get a smart phone for free when you have an upgrsde. The iPhone 4 is probably free or a $1 when you have an upgrade every 2 years. So not sure what the he'll you're talking about cost for. If it's your preference that's one thing, but please don't tell me you didn't know this...

Unless you're referring to data costs, which I just figured you may have been.... However I'm sure they have a minimal data plan that's barely anything cost wise.

I figured the main side effect would be the hideous, over-developed mutant thumbs.

article-2430426-18396A6300000578-960_306x448.jpg

Smart phones are more an extension of your computer than the conventional form of a phone us 30+ year olds grew up with.
This low-IQ pride in not understanding the appeal is indicative of your intelligence, not a superior awareness...

A good rule of thumb when shitting on anything is not to.

In other news, get off my lawn!

My wife is 41 and I'm pretty sure that she'd have some kind of horrible withdrawals if she didn't have constant access to text messaging. I curse the day that unlimited text messaging got cheap.

?

You can get a smart phone for free when you have an upgrsde. The iPhone 4 is probably free or a $1 when you have an upgrade every 2 years. So not sure what the he'll you're talking about cost for. If it's your preference that's one thing, but please don't tell me you didn't know this...

"free" is relative. It's free upfront but what about the contract that goes with it? $60-90 a month + 2 year contract? There's the cost of the phone and then some.

Comparing prices:
Flip phone - $5
Simple 300 minute plan/month - $20 every 3 months
Cost per year: $80 per year with a $5 up front cost

iPhone - free
Contract plan - $60 - $90 per month for 2 years
Cost per year (under contract): $720 - $1080 ($1440 - $2160 for 2 years)

Oh hey look! there's the cost of the phone in the first year! Guess what? The next year the phone is paid for AGAIN! What a bargain! :rolleyes:

Yeah I'd rather not be butt f'd by the phone companies..

Back