Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 650W Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 650W Review - The Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 650W is a new PSU that heralds monitoring electricity cost, recording the status of your PC, and sharing that data in the cloud as its main features. All of that is great if that is what you are into, but as usual we first want to know how good of a PSU is it?

Did you try out the software at all? Do you see any value in that kind of added feature over (admittedly mediocre) the performance of the PSU?
I'm having a tough time figuring our who is micromanaging the PSU on theior gaming rig to see how much power it is using, etc.

Good review, though. Thermaltake needs to be less of a "hit or miss" brand for me to buy something from them, as this seems like a serviceable PSU, but generally a "miss" overall.

Did you try out the software at all? Do you see any value in that kind of added feature over (admittedly mediocre) the performance of the PSU?
I'm having a tough time figuring our who is micromanaging the PSU on theior gaming rig to see how much power it is using, etc.

Good review, though. Thermaltake needs to be less of a "hit or miss" brand for me to buy something from them, as this seems like a serviceable PSU, but generally a "miss" overall.

The software review will be up in a few weeks, it takes a lot longer to do and more space than people would imagine.

As it stands, all of the software apps for PSU's have issues and none that I have been through yet (reviews still to come) are mature products or fully functional across entire product ranges for various software, hardware, and software/hardware reasons.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this thing must be one of the ugliest power supplies I have ever seen. I would avoid it just for that reason, given how many great power supplies are out there.

-Paul, can you state your opinion about platform design? Enhance or CWT do you think gets the edge when speaking for build quality and safety features?
When speaking in terms of performance, i think it's clear by the numbers that Enhance has the advantage against CWT for Thermaltake's best OEM.
I don't have the experise to judge the 2 platforms in terms of design and quality though.
-Since the GRAND Platinum series varys from 650 to 1200 watt, is there any reason for someone, -besides the cost-, to choose CWT over the Enhance's platform?:confused:

The software review will be up in a few weeks, it takes a lot longer to do and more space than people would imagine.

As it stands, all of the software apps for PSU's have issues and none that I have been through yet (reviews still to come) are mature products or fully functional across entire product ranges for various software, hardware, and software/hardware reasons.

Thanks for the feedback. I've always been skeptical of software to control a PSU. Other than alerting you ahead of time of issues (i.e., protection faults/events etc), or maybe controlling cosmetics (lighting), I'm not sure what kind of value that data might provide, and could easily be... massaged.

why did you use a stock image for the 1050 model on the front page? Kind of lazy guys,

Other than that great article.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this thing must be one of the ugliest power supplies I have ever seen. I would avoid it just for that reason, given how many great power supplies are out there.

The top looks like it could grill a mean burger.

why did you use a stock image for the 1050 model on the front page? Kind of lazy guys,

Other than that great article.

Because that is the artwork Thermaltake made for the entire DPS G line. Perhaps you should ask them why they made it with just the 1050W model?

agreed, wow it's like they were trying on purpose to make it an eyesore

-Paul, can you state your opinion about platform design? Enhance or CWT do you think gets the edge when speaking for build quality and safety features?

It all depends on what you are willing to pay for them to do. Either can go from top to bottom if you have the money and are willing to fork it over!

Because that is the artwork Thermaltake made for the entire DPS G line. Perhaps you should ask them why they made it with just the 1050W model?

Yeah but you had the actual PSU with the 650W branding as well. It was in the article and would have been easy to use that. Either way solid article and yeah that's an ugly PSU but at least you don't see the thing in your casearch very often.

Yeah but you had the actual PSU with the 650W branding as well. It was in the article and would have been easy to use that. Either way solid article and yeah that's an ugly PSU but at least you don't see the thing in your casearch very often.

I'm not sure what was misunderstood in my previous post, I do not work for Thermaltake's PR department so I have no control over their production of artwork.

Back