Electric Vehicle Owners Turning Against Each Other

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know it's kind of a dick-ish thing to say, but I would drive my fossil fuel powered dinosaur of a car 100 miles just to watch these guys go at it. :D

Charging stations aren’t as numerous as gas stations yet, leading electric-vehicle owners to exhibit some rude behavior — unplugging each other’s cars, fights at the plug and secret alliances to trade spots in corporate parking lots.

Why should tax payer money be used to provide these things? I guess if a corporation wants to do it that's up to them but I think they should charge people for it -- not just the cars.

Short range, long charging times, free electricity, limited charging stations, leftist environmental narcissists....

What could go wrong :)

How about getting rid of the tax rebates and the free charging stations?
I'm sure there would be a big drop in electric cars, and the need to fight over the limited charging stations.

END ALL SUBSIDIES and let the chips fall where they fall!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the liberal bed wetters cry themselves to sleep.

...And this children was the beginning of The Great Douche-Bag War of 2017.

My local grocery store just put in two charging parking spots. First in my town as far as I can tell. Haven't seen a single car parked there yet.

END ALL SUBSIDIES and let the chips fall where they fall!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the liberal bed wetters cry themselves to sleep.
Corporations would cry themselves to sleep especially oil and agro not really liberals.:p

We have charging stations in front of my office. We got a small subsidy/stipend to cover the inconvenience of the construction project. The company that manages the stations paid for the install, and charging is not free - you have an account and you pay different rates depending on if you use the slow charger or the fast charging stations.

I haven't observed any douche baggery or rude behavior, probably because it's not free.

Our IT department has had to implement new security on the guest wifi because people were hopping on the network while they charge up their cars. It's kind of funny when people come in the building to request the wifi password from our receptionist. We're a corporate office, not a coffee shop.

In my area they knocked down one coal producing electric plant and shutdown 2 more. People want the nuke plant shutdown and no other plants built. After our last big storm power was out for days. Electric Co guys said they need spare parts not made since the 70s but didn't have anymore. I never go how a grid could be such a dilapidated, overstretched POS but people want to add cars to it. We cant go a summer without multiple troubles

California mandates that a certain number of electric vehicles be sold there every year... and the number increases every year. If they want compliance, they have to provide the charging services or who would ever buy one?

I would think a better solution for ass-hat owners would be a parking meter fee for the space. You pay based on how long you are going to be there charging. That would give people an incentive to vacate as fast as possible.

Smart move would be to get a used VW diesel. You might get a year of free driving if they have to buy them back. kik

Scarcity breeds negative behaviour, this isn't strictly a electric vehicle problem.

Wait, people are acting as jerks towards one another? This is nothing new, it just the way the heart of man is. This is just another reason why I would not want a tiny crap electric vehicle. (Love my 2015 Dodge Dart Rallye Edition. :) )

Set up an open, but locked down guest network with ungodly slow speeds. They won't bother you anymore.

This should give one some ideas.

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

In my area they knocked down one coal producing electric plant and shutdown 2 more. People want the nuke plant shutdown and no other plants built. After our last big storm power was out for days. Electric Co guys said they need spare parts not made since the 70s but didn't have anymore. I never go how a grid could be such a dilapidated, overstretched POS but people want to add cars to it. We cant go a summer without multiple troubles

Yea and people don't want wind power around them either. As more electric cars are sold I'm kinda expecting the problems to get bigger.

People that are buying $130k teslas really don't care it's "free" electricity.

This is a bit nonsensical. Some people will be dicks no matter what, and just because they happen to drive electric cars doesn't mean all electric car owners are turning against each other.

Why should tax payer money be used to provide these things? I guess if a corporation wants to do it that's up to them but I think they should charge people for it -- not just the cars.

Why should taxpayer money be used to provide anything?

I saw one person cutoff another person in traffic today. ZOMG GASOLINE CAR DRIVERS ARE ALL ASSHOLES TURNING ON EACH OTHER

So how do a pair of smug, jackwad, hipster douche EV drivers fight?

giphy.gif

Wait, people are acting as jerks towards one another? This is nothing new, it just the way the heart of man is. This is just another reason why I would not want a tiny crap electric vehicle. (Love my 2015 Dodge Dart Rallye Edition. :) )

I have a 2013 dodge dart aero with the turbo, and I want an electric car. This will tide me over until they start releasing the mid 30k electric cars with 200+ mile range (that don't look like shit like the leaf/bolt).

two or more of those coal plants closed because they couldn't afford to keep them open in the face of regulations designed to eventually shut them down in the near future and not because of their age.

I have a 2013 dodge dart aero with the turbo, and I want an electric car. This will tide me over until they start releasing the mid 30k electric cars with 200+ mile range (that don't look like shit like the leaf/bolt).

After countless failed attempts to sell hybrid powertrains in their mainstream vehicles, no one was ever able to have the success of a Prius. Because the Prius broadcast to everyone "hybrid" 1/4 mile away. You can thank Prius owners for automaker making electric cars look stupid. And to some degree what looks like design choices, are actually for aerodynamics.

The Model X looks too much like a couple dozen crossovers have looked going back a decade. It doesn't broadcast different unless you're right up on the name tag or emblem. Maybe they can break the Prius curse. I doubt it.

People that are buying $130k teslas really don't care it's "free" electricity.

You would be surprised. Free is Free.

Of course the main reason people buy electric cars in California, is not to save money on gas, or to save the environment, it's to use the car pool lanes. Electric cars get a special sticker that allows a solo driver to legally drive them in the car pool lane. This can easily cut the commute time in half, since traffic is such a mess since they won't build regular highway lanes any more.

After countless failed attempts to sell hybrid powertrains in their mainstream vehicles, no one was ever able to have the success of a Prius. Because the Prius broadcast to everyone "hybrid" 1/4 mile away. You can thank Prius owners for automaker making electric cars look stupid. And to some degree what looks like design choices, are actually for aerodynamics.

The Model X looks too much like a couple dozen crossovers have looked going back a decade. It doesn't broadcast different unless you're right up on the name tag or emblem. Maybe they can break the Prius curse. I doubt it.

My problem with the Prius is more on the inside/dash than the outside looks. That combined with the underpowered motor would stop me from every buying one.

However, Toyota make a much nicer Hybrid, the Camry Hybrid. Looks like a normal Camry, with just slight differences.
My morning commute is 100% heavy city traffic, lots of long lights, yet I get almost 2x the mileage I used to get from my older 4 cyl Camry. I average about 35MPG in the city, which is better than I would get driving tiny smart car. Not bad for a mid size car with 200 HP.

I see ass-hatery happen almost on a daily basis without electric cars being the core of the issue. Guys in large trucks and small cars park like they need more space than everyone else. Zip cars, go cars and other pay for hour cars are the offenders in Portland Oregon. Electric stations seem to be fine in Portland without much an issue, but anger is mostly focused on bikes and pay per hour cars.

I think the novelty has people watching electric owners with more scrutiny.

As far as the electric grid, yup it sucks, as a nation we haven't done much but increase the cost.

It's a BIG country and short of wireless and fiber investments we have ignored the roads and power distribution. We have wind power with no system to deliver the power fully, Our coal plants use carbon trading to prevent updates and emission capping + they are falling apart and we're afraid on nuclear power to use newer than 50 year old GE designs :)

Why do we hate EVs here? Hottest fucking car in the world is electric

For some reason this forum attracts a lot of rightwingers, which means they hate obama, and liberals, and anything they think is associated with that.

For some reason this forum attracts a lot of rightwingers, which means they hate obama, and liberals, and anything they think is associated with that.
Because to be [H]ard you have to have disposable income, which means you've most likely worked your ass off. Such people tend to be economically conservative, if not socially.

Why do we hate EVs here? Hottest fucking car in the world is electric

Really? What car is that? Bugatti Veyron? 911 GT4? McLaren P1? 918 Spyder? LaFerrari?

If you ask anyone, "If I gave you $100k, what car would you buy?", majority wouldn't be saying some EV.

And every one of them waited 12 hours in line for an iPhone :)

Electric cars are dumb. Don't make the environmentalists happy, at least choose gasoline fuel, if not diesel, for superior gas milage and emissions that piss off the tree-huggers.

Really? What car is that? Bugatti Veyron? 911 GT4? McLaren P1? 918 Spyder? LaFerrari?

If you ask anyone, "If I gave you $100k, what car would you buy?", majority wouldn't be saying some EV.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy any of those cars for $100k...

I don't hate electrics. But, I don't like using tax payer money to subsidize them. Especially since these subsidies are going to people that really don't need them. Especially Tesla owners. I especially don't like the idea of taxpayers paying for the cost of charging electrics. Public charging stations should be metered at a fair cost.

News like this just supports my continuing opinion that Electrics with less than 150 miles for a practical range are pretty problematic. Volts and Leafs that get less than 60 miles a charge don't cut it. Now, sell a reasonably priced Electric (30 to 35K ish without subsidies) that gets over 100 miles per charge and I will even recommend it to people if appropriate.

I would buy a P85D before I bought any of those

News like this just supports my continuing opinion that Electrics with less than 150 miles for a practical range are pretty problematic. Volts and Leafs that get less than 60 miles a charge don't cut it. Now, sell a reasonably priced Electric (30 to 35K ish without subsidies) that gets over 100 miles per charge and I will even recommend it to people if appropriate.

Tesla Model 3 is planned to be in that range before rebates.

Back