Cash Reward For Google.com Takeover Man

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's the best way to get a bug bounty from Google? Use Google's website buying service to buy Google.com. Whoops. :D

A man who briefly bought and owned the Google.com web domain has been rewarded by the search giant. An administration oversight allowed US student Sanmay Ved to buy the right to control the domain on 29 September. The oversight left him in charge of Google.com for about a minute until Google caught on and cancelled the transaction.

Ya I don't know. Guy worked at Google. Put in $12 and then they get to say this:

Mr Ved decided to give the cash to an Indian educational foundation and in response, Google doubled the reward.

Sounds more like a veiled PR move to me.

Guy clicks on a link. Get's money. Decides to donate money. Google then decides to double. Story gets sent to BBC and goes viral. I don't know.

I remember back in 93 doing a registry check for all these domains that I thought would be cool to own. This was right after Adam Curry sold MTV.com to MTV. There was this huge explosion of corporations across America buying their company names. It was the same time I started looking.

I wish .. wish I would have known then what I know now

Mr Ved decided to give the cash to an Indian educational foundation and in response, Google doubled the reward

With the rampant corruption in India you might as well launch the cash into a black hole.

Did Google Google to find Google no longer owned Google.com? :p :D

Back