Driverless Sports Car That Comes With A Drone

I agree, self-driving cars should be like a Prius. Small, efficient and not for people who like cars.

I agree, self-driving cars should be like a Prius. Small, efficient and not for people who like cars.

Disagree. Maybe I like cars and like to carve up the canyons on weekends but I can only afford to have a single car. I don't want to have to drive that car home during rush hour. Let the computers do that shit. Besides sports cars have basically been mostly computer driven for awhile now. Gone are the days where you would spin out your beastly over-powered Lambo around every corner. The computers kick in to make sure of that.

Not sure about the drone but I love the helipad they put on the back of the car for some reason. :D

Most "sports cars" now don't even have manual transmissions, and everything is controlled by a computer making the driver take a back seat (pun intended) to technology. A self driving sports car is a logical progression, though in my opinion not a good one. To me a computer doing the work is the antithesis of a sports car.

There was a TV show back in the 90s called Viper. This isn't too different that that show. Click here It had a drone in the back of the car that would come out.

Most "sports cars" now don't even have manual transmissions, and everything is controlled by a computer making the driver take a back seat (pun intended) to technology. A self driving sports car is a logical progression, though in my opinion not a good one. To me a computer doing the work is the antithesis of a sports car.
It has become so bad that especially cars from Ferrari are pretty much undrivable without the electronic assist systems. It's why even if I had the money for a toy I'd rather spend a quarter of the money on something like a GT350 which, beyond having electrically-assisted power steering, still embodies pretty much everything I associate with a real sports car.

When I read the subject, I immediately thought of the Audi RSQ from iRobot. I'm not sure of the "drone" though.

It's so you can show up at the club/event/whatever and show off your sweet ride and then have it go park itself and not have to worry about the valet taking it for a joyride, or just scratching it.

I don't get people thinking we won't still drive cars that can drive themselves. Just have the car do the boring bits.

Disagree. Maybe I like cars and like to carve up the canyons on weekends but I can only afford to have a single car. I don't want to have to drive that car home during rush hour. Let the computers do that shit. Besides sports cars have basically been mostly computer driven for awhile now. Gone are the days where you would spin out your beastly over-powered Lambo around every corner. The computers kick in to make sure of that.

Not sure about the drone but I love the helipad they put on the back of the car for some reason. :D

I would assume the drone is a "Go-Pro" style recording device, although I would also use it to look up the freeway for cops or, say you are stuck in a huge backup...let's go see how long it is and if I should turn around and find a different route. I watched a review once where the journalist used a drone for that. Pretty cool, he just opened the sunroof and off it went, saw it was a 2 mile backup from a wreck and took off.

I would assume the drone is a "Go-Pro" style recording device, although I would also use it to look up the freeway for cops or, say you are stuck in a huge backup...let's go see how long it is and if I should turn around and find a different route. I watched a review once where the journalist used a drone for that. Pretty cool, he just opened the sunroof and off it went, saw it was a 2 mile backup from a wreck and took off.

Or just use Waze.

The car needs to be able to take over the moment I say fck it and take my hands off the wheel, drift to sleep, change seats, etc. I would love it if my car could drive itself to an available parking spot and then park itself. When I need the car again, I would open the Valet app (it would be called just that) to summon it and get the estimated wait time for the vehicle to meet me wherever I happen to be.

Buuut, I'd still want to drive my car. I can't help but think that relying on fully self driven vehicles is not exactly the best idea with all the hacking going on. Can we trust the auto industry to properly implement proper security measures to prevent some neck bearded fool with a laptop and too much time on his hands from wreaking havoc during rush-hour (or anytime for that matter, and just the neck bearded hackers...)?

had a daydream back in the 80s about owning one. but it was like 20-50 drones swarming. giving the car sight for up to a mile. think it could happen now :p

I can just see it; passenger controlling the drone, taking video of the car traveling down the road, isn't this the coolest thing ever WHAP and the drone plasters itself on the road sign/street light/power cable/overpass and then shatters the windshield of another car at highway speeds. This is just a stupidly bad idea.

Back