MX Master Range

Epos7

Gawd
Picked up an MX Master to replace my aging G7, and am having some issues with the range.

The bluetooth connection is completely unusable, and the USB unified receiver needs to be within about 18 inches or that connection is pretty bad too.

My G7 needed to be within 2-3 feet of the receiver, but that mouse is nine years old.

Any other MX Master owners able to comment on the range they're getting?

No hub, just the motherboard ports. I've tried USB3.0 and USB2.0.

I ordered a replacement mouse to see if it was a faulty unit. Replacement has the same issues. I estimate the effective wireless range is 12-18".

Do you have a lot of other wireless devices that could be causing interference?

I use my MX Master (the scrollwheel is brilliant) with the Unifying receiver without issue. I hate BT for mice. It's never consistent.

I asked about the USB 3.0 hub because some (if not many) are notorious for trampling all over the 2.4ghz wireless band, which I'm pretty sure the Unifying Receiver uses.

Mine is about 3 feet away in a USB 2.0 hub. No issues at all.

I would probably have it swapped out. It may be busted.

BTW... in usual Logitech fashion (they must, without fail, fuck up at least one design feature of every product they make), the MX Master has the worst possible forward/back button arrangement they could have conceived. Short of this, the thing is bloody marvelous..

I agree, the design of the mouse is excellent. I want it to work, but both models I have received are next to useless. I don't have any other wireless devices connected - keyboard is wired, and the computer is hardwired into the network.

My G7 doesn't have great range, but works OK if the receiver is 2-3 feet from the mouse. Seems odd that a mouse nine years newer has less effective range.

Just for giggles, take it to another computer far, far away from your current one and try it there to see what happens.

I just tested the BT range on mine and I am getting 15+ feet.

After installing the Options software in Windows 10 and testing it with the unifying receiver I am getting the same 15+ feet range.

That is as far as I can physically get away from my computer and still see the screen so I am guessing the range is even further. Back in the day when I was testing wireless range on an old Logitech keyboard and mouse I was able to get 25-30 feet.

What BT receiver are you using? If it is a laptop and built in, what is the brand/model of the laptop?

From my experience the plug into usb port BT receivers are all junk. The only ones that I have had success with are ones that are built in (both laptop and desktop).

Something is definitely up with your system.

Thanks for testing it out cyclone3d.

I'm not using the mouse in Bluetooth mode. I did attempt to at first, using the Bluetooth integrated into my ASRock motherboard, but the cursor jumped and stuttered all over the place, it was unusable.

I'm using the unifying receiver, which I believe operates on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

The mouse works from 10+ feet, but is not accurate enough to be usable. From 3 feet away, the cursor responds correctly 90% of the time, but that 10% of it lagging and jumping around makes for a pretty frustrating experience. Within 18 inches of the receiver, the mouse is almost as smooth as a wired mouse.

I'll test it out on another computer when I get home and see how that goes.

I use my MX Master (the scrollwheel is brilliant) with the Unifying receiver without issue. I hate BT for mice. It's never consistent.

I asked about the USB 3.0 hub because some (if not many) are notorious for trampling all over the 2.4ghz wireless band, which I'm pretty sure the Unifying Receiver uses.

Mine is about 3 feet away in a USB 2.0 hub. No issues at all.

I would probably have it swapped out. It may be busted.

BTW... in usual Logitech fashion (they must, without fail, fuck up at least one design feature of every product they make), the MX Master has the worst possible forward/back button arrangement they could have conceived. Short of this, the thing is bloody marvelous..

Am I the only one who thinks this mouse is too light? I'm not one of those people who equate lightness with goodness, and I often compare hollow, empty feeling technology as 'happy meal' products (take the original PS3 controller, for instance), so I may be biassed. But I thought (being a wireless mouse) that it would be weighty and dense, having an L-Ion battery in there... I would honestly love a mouse that weighed upwards of 500-750 grams. This MX Master is lighter than my old wired mouse! WTF?

But range? I have yet to have issues with the range.

Light? You need to cut back on the Spinach :)

I know, I know... But I really like the feeling of something working against me, like the a car with no power steering, or satisfying click of a lever-style switch. I like my mouse to be heavy and bulky... so maybe its just me.

Also, I bought a Cherry MX Green keyboard, and I am slightly disappointed with the firmness, I wanted MOAR RESISTENCE.

I know, I know... But I really like the feeling of something working against me, like the a car with no power steering, or satisfying click of a lever-style switch. I like my mouse to be heavy and bulky... so maybe its just me.

Also, I bought a Cherry MX Green keyboard, and I am slightly disappointed with the firmness, I wanted MOAR RESISTENCE.

You could try a more resistant mouse pad. Maybe a piece of sand paper with glue on it.

Thanks for testing it out cyclone3d.

I'm not using the mouse in Bluetooth mode. I did attempt to at first, using the Bluetooth integrated into my ASRock motherboard, but the cursor jumped and stuttered all over the place, it was unusable.

I'm using the unifying receiver, which I believe operates on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

The mouse works from 10+ feet, but is not accurate enough to be usable. From 3 feet away, the cursor responds correctly 90% of the time, but that 10% of it lagging and jumping around makes for a pretty frustrating experience. Within 18 inches of the receiver, the mouse is almost as smooth as a wired mouse.

I'll test it out on another computer when I get home and see how that goes.

Is there a way you can test it on a machine in a very different location? Weird things can happen with electronics. There was a case in Australia of a malfunctioning beer fridge that was causing EMI interference for cellular networks in a wide area. If you are having range issues with multiple 2.4GHz wireless mice it sounds like the problem is interference in your location. Testing the devices somewhere else entirely may help isolate whether it is your location or the device.

Is there a way you can test it on a machine in a very different location? Weird things can happen with electronics. There was a case in Australia of a malfunctioning beer fridge that was causing EMI interference for cellular networks in a wide area. If you are having range issues with multiple 2.4GHz wireless mice it sounds like the problem is interference in your location. Testing the devices somewhere else entirely may help isolate whether it is your location or the device.

I know what you mean. I once lived in an apartment where my computer speakers were useless because they picked up a local radio station.

I'll see about trying the mouse elsewhere. My previous mouse, the G7, I used in at least 10 different locations, on several different computers, and never found it to have more than about three feet of range. I'm wondering if I'm just more sensitive to hiccups in the signal than most.

Back