Netflix Raises Price Of Most Popular Plan By $1 Per Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix has increased the price of its standard subscription service to $9.99. I’d say that’s still a good deal, but at what price point would it start to bother you?

With more than 65 million subscribers worldwide, Netflix is counting on customer gains and higher prices to sustain revenue growth and finance the cost of its film and TV offerings. The company has $4.3 billion in programming costs over the next year, and almost $5 billion more for the following three years.

as log as my sub to netflix and hulu remain significantly cheaper than a cable tv sub then i'm ok.

I don't know if I could live without Netflix but I admit their selection seems kinda weak lately. LOTS of B, low budget movies there and they took 2 of my favorite throwback series off (Miami Vice and Highlander). So $10 I'm still good with but $15 is the most I'd be willing to go. Anymore than that and I'll just stick with Amazon Prime's streaming video which is about as good as Netflix's.

Still much cheaper than cable. Sling/Prime/Netflix/Hulu(no commercials) runs me under $50 per month. I'm only keeping Sling for football season, so it drops to under $30 most of the year. To drop those and go to cable would mean $85/month all year and I'd have to deal with commercials. No thanks!

Netlfix can't charge much for what they offer. If they don't have tons of things I want to watch, then it's not worth tons of money. A lot of the stuff they have now is TV shows. TV shows are FAR better without constant commercials, but they aren't the same as good movies. TV shows should be tailored towards streaming a little bit too. There's no need for commercial transitions, commercial cliffhangers don't work, recapping a season seems really pointless, long intros are annoying, etc. A half hour TV show without all of the fluff and commercials is 15-20 minutes. Hardly worth even bothering to log in.

Netflix have some good originals. Assuming that the library only increase and they keep providing original series, I could do $20 a month until I have to start to think about it.

I honestly hadn't paid it much attention and already thought it was $10. Their TV selection has gotten decent lately, and I like a lot of their original stuff, but their movie selection has gone downhill. I find myself going to Amazon Prime for movies more and more. I think if Netflix went to $12 and didn't improve their selection accordingly, I would really have to think about dropping them.

I don't want to seem like I support the rate hike, but it's still a bargain.

Seems kind of like TV back in the day. Never gave to much thought to the price, but it magically crept up there.

I imagine Netflix will have the same issues eventually. Not to mention if Amazon goes into the TV business the price may raise there to.

The point us it's still a good deal. I think at 12 bucks I would be out as well.

They've learned from the past. Do a small $1 increase every year versus the large jump / outcry they had from before (years ago).

Dropped them years ago when they increased prices and dropped too much of the content (movies). Not really interested in their original content.

I think maybe 15 dollars a month is my max, and that's heavily dependent on them keeping up with the quality original content. Some of it has been better than others, but I thought Daredevil in particular was amazing. That price point is similar to HBO.

The nice thing about Netflix is no contracts, so if the price gets too high or I just run out of content that interests me I can just drop it for 6 months or a year, and pick it back up later when more of their original content or the latest seasons of network TV shows are available.

The responses in here are quite the turn around from the last time they did a price increase.

The responses in here are quite the turn around from the last time they did a price increase.

Which one? The one in 2011? The one where the price pretty much double for those who wanted streaming and DVD's? That's quite a big difference there, plus the original content on Netflix has been very good in the past few years.

Which one? The one in 2011? The one where the price pretty much double for those who wanted streaming and DVD's? That's quite a big difference there, plus the original content on Netflix has been very good in the past few years.

Yep

Very much apples to oranges in the comparison.

However, at this point it looks like it has two more cycles on price hikes before it reaches my max. It will be interesting to see what the options will be at that point.

Dish is still coming down in price with 2 year price lock. Not saying I would consider them an option since I am a cord cutter. But looking at the deals and the price changes that companies are doing the major player appear to be making deals to get people back and the streaming seems like it is going higher. Will be curious where it ends up in the end.

OTA is still the cheapest :D

If the price increase means a wider selection of movies, and more current titles, I'd be okay with that.

Any price increase is usually an excuse to freak out, for most people on the forum.

What about those of us grandfathered at the old original $7.99 price ?

What about those of us grandfathered at the old original $7.99 price ?

Existing customers will have a grace period of varying lengths before prices go up for them, the company said on its website.

Seems we get a grace period before our plan goes up. Older customers may get a longer grace period.

Just gotta enjoy it while it lasts. As more companies get into streaming, the price for content is going to get more expensive and that cost will get passed on to us. My guess is when Apple jumps in shit's gonna get real...and prices will go up.

As for netflix content, I like that they have tons of TV. Honestly, the best programming is coming from the TV. I like movies, but if my primary goal is movies, I think old school netflix or Redbox is the way to go.

"Existing customers will have a grace period of varying lengths before prices go up for them, the company said on its website. "

Seems we get a grace period before our plan goes up. Older customers may get a longer grace period.

What does "varying" mean though? And why will it vary?

I think, for me, it's more important that I continue to have the 4 or 6 devices or whatever I was grandfathered in at. I shit you not, my kids will have Netflix on the big TV playing while ALSO watching Netflix on their iPad.....kids these days.

And now apparently my kids can watch a movie at the same time while playing a game on the iPad with iOS 9. The next generation is getting there.

owmyballs.jpg

It would be fine by me, it is the only service I pay for anyways. Amazon Prime has to many video rentals for my taste and Hulu, until recently, did not have much worth paying the rental fee for. (I may start subing to Hulu.)

Back