New Amazon EC2 X1 Instance Type Powered By Intel Xeon Processor E7 v3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon Web Services (AWS) announced new Amazon EC2 X1 instances, which will feature up to 2 TB of memory, a full order of magnitude larger than the current generation of AWS high-memory instances. Demonstrating the importance of obtaining the highest performance available, AWS selected the 4 socket Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8880 v3 (Haswell) to power the new instances. Intel® Xeon® processor E7 v3 based platforms, commonly used for mission-critical workloads in enterprise environments, feature up to 6 TB of memory and up to 72 cores in a 4 socket configuration. This scale up horsepower can enable real-time analytics via in memory computing and increased data center efficiency and reliability. AWS expects to have the X1 instances available in the first half of 2016. Check out the Intel blog for additional details. For more information on the AWS EC2 instances powered by Intel Xeon E7 processors, visit Amazon EC2 Instances.

I love AWS. I get a full datacenter's worth of goods for the price I'd pay for a single server.

Yes I could run all these servers myself in some data center somewhere but then I'd be responsible soup to nuts (power, hardware, rack space, networking, etc). Only thing I have to worry about is our replication to our DR site in case shit breaks.

Does flexibility and speed to market and geolocated datacenter make up for the fact that you're renting hardware into perpetuity?

Does flexibility and speed to market and geolocated datacenter make up for the fact that you're renting hardware into perpetuity?

Yes. Yes x1000.

I'm not just renting 'hardware'. I'm renting SQL clusters, VM Clusters, Storage and File Clusters, redundant 10Gb networking, and cross country data replication all with 0 work done by me and my staff.

We can focus on getting work done locally instead of trying to maintaining and supporting all the 'hardware' I'm renting.

i'm not faulting you for going into AWS, just every time I try to convince my company that we should move that way the numbers don't add up. Running a SQL server with the loads we run would cost us a lot of coin. And re-factoring would likely involve a lot of money and effort away from making the product customers pay us for better.

i'm not faulting you for going into AWS, just every time I try to convince my company that we should move that way the numbers don't add up. Running a SQL server with the loads we run would cost us a lot of coin. And re-factoring would likely involve a lot of money and effort away from making the product customers pay us for better.

Even if you pay for a years service up front? I get nearly 40% off list if I pay for a year and 60% off if I pay for 3 years ahead of time. We saved a small fortune just by prepaying.

Amazon Sales Engineers will tell you up front if they can or cannot help you out with what you want to do. When I engaged them about moving all our local servers into the cloud I had 2 meetings with them, showed management the spreadsheet (this thing is a work of Excel art) showing cost projections and cost savings and they pulled the trigger without hesitation.

If you haven't spoken to Amazon setup a meeting with your project shareholders and get them onboard with all the reasons AWS WON'T work and make amazon convince you that it will.

well being an MS shop we'd probably move to Azure but I imagine they would strive for the biz just as much as anyone else would

well being an MS shop we'd probably move to Azure but I imagine they would strive for the biz just as much as anyone else would

Amazon does support MSSQL, I imagine moving your entire web/SQL to the cloud would save you guys a buttload.

The licensing savings alone would pay for the servers.

Back