RIAA And MPAA Reporting Piracy Sites To U.S. Government

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like kicking the RIAA and the MPAA in the nuts as much as the next guy but isn't this their job?

The RIAA and MPAA have submitted their lists of most "notorious" pirate sites to the U.S. Government. The groups target torrent sites including The Pirate Bay and KickassTorrents, as well as various linking and streaming portals. Uncooperative domain registrars and other third-party service providers are called out as well.

Sounds like the RIAA wants other people to find the bad guys for them. I don't even like this system because you can take a site off line without a court order.

I like kicking the RIAA and the MPAA in the nuts as much as the next guy but isn't this their job?

The RIAA and MPAA have submitted their lists of most "notorious" pirate sites to the U.S. Government. The groups target torrent sites including The Pirate Bay and KickassTorrents, as well as various linking and streaming portals. Uncooperative domain registrars and other third-party service providers are called out as well.

Damn good question Steve.

But I don't think it is their job. The RIAA and MPAA are private entities right? So really, I think the are just like any other business. This leads to my first question to the group, if you, (or a business), sees a crime, are you required by law to report it? I think in many cases if a person is aware of a crime and doesn't report it then they become comlplicent in the crime. I know we have some lawyer types on here, maybe they will enlighten us.

I find it easier to swallow then dragging people into civil court and bullying them into submission, guilty or not. That's a big reason people treat them like assholes, cause that's like the definition of asshole if you ask me.

My first thought on this is, I think this is much more appropriate then what they have done in the past. Now it will be up to the government to look at the evidence and the crime and decide if it warrants indictment, arrest, etc.

On the surface this looks kind of bad though because the image that pops in my head is all these peeps being thrown in jail, etc. But for the average digital rights theif downloading a few movies for their own use I either don't see the cops going after them hard, not unless they are also a government employee selling the movies to their coworkers right? But a real pirate, people doing it for profit and hosting sites, yes, I can see the FBI taking them to court and fining the shit out of them and in extreme cases maybe even prison sentences.

Sounds like the RIAA wants other people to find the bad guys for them. I don't even like this system because you can take a site off line without a court order.

No, what it actually sounds like to me is they want to use the FBI and Justice Departments to foot the bill for investigating the pirates and taking them offline. Then after a conviction the civil suite for damages is a pice of cake and all the work has been done.

Yea, but about half that money isn't actually "wealthy" individuals, just a whole lot of people who have money in overseas accounts that happen to add up to alot of money. But what can you expect from a report by an organization called the "Tax Justice Network"? Certainly not realistic and accurate reporting.

Besides, that report is a "global" and doesn't just cover US citizens like you seem to infer.

You ever lived in another country, I spent a long time in Korea and what I learned is that most Koreans don't trust Korean banks, they are always going out of business and Korea doesn't have an FDIC that insures the money you have in a bank. So it ain't surprising to here that people in many countries store their savings in large well known foreign banks.

The actual report is here, if you can get to it. This frequently happens when I try to see the true source of wild claims BTW. Maybe you can get the link to work.

http://www.taxjustice.net/cms/upload/pdf/Price_of_Offshore_Revisited_120722.pdf

Smart move, use our tax money to reduce their own business expenses. First class citizens deserve as much, unlike the peasant class they actually pay politicians handsomely.

I understand that piracy is bad but RIAA And MPAA seem to go too hard.

"Oh, Chris Dod, head of the MPAA and former congressman just sent us a letter and wants us to fight for the businesses he represents". "We also got one from this millionaire, Cary Shermen, who represents the RIAA and wants poor people to stop "stealing" from the incredibly wealthy business he represents, that have been ripping off musicians and consumers from the very beginning".

I'm sure the government already knows about the websites they are reporting. Why don't they just leave a dead horse be?

Ah ha! We found some pirate sites, its these torrent sites in other countries now go get them! I mean how many fucking congressmen do I need to bribe to make this happen?

Back