HTML5-Based Data Transfer Is For Terrorists And Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
Little did you know that your browser is a tool for terrorism.

The software you’re reading this article with is, even in its factory state, probably enough to conduct acts of terrorism and piracy that are ‘extremely difficult, if not entirely impossible’ to intercept or examine forensically, according to one of the first research efforts to evaluate the threats and possibilities presented by the new emergence of HTML5-based transfer and communications services and tools.

bogeyman.jpg

Said researcher shoild get his college money back.from Borat Uni

You don't need HTML5 to pass hidden messages. Write an app that encodes data into certain pixel variations and another one that decodes it. It's called steganography - been done for many many many years. A lot of hackers have used it to send their data out via social media from within a network.

Isin't this a good thing? It's called security. :p

It's horrible the fear mongering these days that governments use to justify all the spying and other barbaric measures they take on it's citizens. It's gotten bad here in Canada too. Harper's platform and election campaign pretty much revolves around scaring everyone into thinking ISIS is going to come and kill us all.

kinda scary at the bullshit people believe in

terrorist are going to bad shit any and every way they can, so should we live in a giant box underground or somthing

I hope someone never finds out what oxygen does for terrorist very powerful tool ;).

Or that notorious chemical called Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Terrorrists are using that chemical for all sorts of horrendous acts, and may even have used it on themselves to keep their destructive tendencies up.

If you don't mind the long latency, encrypted uSD cards via snail mail letter are a cheap way to transfer large amounts of data. Probably get at least a TB with just one stamp. And the legal requirements for opening and inspecting said contents are far more established then those for internet eavesdropping.

And in other news, authorities have expressed concern about the ease with which potential terrorists can purchase tools with cash at local hardware stores, allowing the terrorists to create untraceable, well stocked workshops where they can create bad stuff.

Security- only for guilty people!

Pretty much this. Only people who have something to hide or think they have something to hide (in which case they totally have like a guilt-filled mind) are worried about trying to hide things.

Holy crap, that blue background in the linked article killed my eyes...

Pretty much this. Only people who have something to hide or think they have something to hide (in which case they totally have like a guilt-filled mind) are worried about trying to hide things.
British Soldier In A Colonial Home said:
Oh look at this a flint for a flint lock gun. You are obviously working against the crown. We are arresting you. And in the process we are taking all your food stuffs for the winter.

The 4th amendment was there for a reason.

"You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide."

Joseph Goebbels (Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda) coined that term in the run up to WW2. It was also said by a character in Orwell's 1984 (which was published in 1949 btw).

It seems modern media now act as 'Public Enlightenment' vessels.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going off to hide in a corner and be petrified of all those people using encryption, those paying for things in physical cash, those paying for things with crypto currency (the nasty terrorists!!) ohh and the Russians.

This thread has now officially been Godwinned.

The 4th amendment was there for a reason.

Yeah, but it's not as relevant anymore. Between it, the 1st and the 2nd ones, they're pretty much giving people the ability to do things they aren't responsible enough to do. While I'm happy with how most of the government works, I think we need to put some of those obsolete, 17th century ideas that were reactionary stuff written in to keep people happy about how things were going after they abandoned their noble ruler to some newer thinking and maybe repeal a few of those in particular in order to move to a more utopia-ish future where a well-policed state can keep track of everything its citizens are doing and thinking at all times and arrest them before they actually commit a crime instead of reacting to it after the fact.

Yeah, but it's not as relevant anymore. Between it, the 1st and the 2nd ones, they're pretty much giving people the ability to do things they aren't responsible enough to do. While I'm happy with how most of the government works, I think we need to put some of those obsolete, 17th century ideas that were reactionary stuff written in to keep people happy about how things were going after they abandoned their noble ruler to some newer thinking and maybe repeal a few of those in particular in order to move to a more utopia-ish future where a well-policed state can keep track of everything its citizens are doing and thinking at all times and arrest them before they actually commit a crime instead of reacting to it after the fact.

Punch yourself in the face plz :eek:

I agree that the 2nd amendment needs to by thrown on the street and shot.
The 4th is still very important in protecting individual rights.
The 1st is very powerful and it does open holes like allowing the KKK and nazi skin-heads to exist in the US but it is so powerful in protecting individual and media rights. It's hard to figure out a way to outlaw the former (cause they should be outlawed and arrested) and still protect the later; maybe add a clause that the rights are only allowed as long as it is not for violent/genocidal purposes.

I think that people should take iq tests and if they dont pass they should be sterilized.

I agree that the 2nd amendment needs to by thrown on the street and shot.
The 4th is still very important in protecting individual rights.
The 1st is very powerful and it does open holes like allowing the KKK and nazi skin-heads to exist in the US but it is so powerful in protecting individual and media rights. It's hard to figure out a way to outlaw the former (cause they should be outlawed and arrested) and still protect the later; maybe add a clause that the rights are only allowed as long as it is not for violent/genocidal purposes.

Well, you do have some good points. I think the 1st and 4th wouldn't be so bad if the 2nd one wasn't around. Really, of the three of them its the most outdated and least relevant in the modern world. I can see there being like some protection from property seizures, but it's sorta devalued by the idea of eminent domain. The thing with free speech...eh...lots of people say lots of dumb things, but maybe they should be allowed to, but not without consequences. There's already some of that happening when people are getting brought to trial for bullying someone online and their victim commits suicide so I think there are some changes being made over time just through court precedent.

I think that people should take iq tests and if they dont pass they should be sterilized.

Maybe, but I'd go bigger than that because intelligence isn't the only indicator of potential problems. There should be like a multi-faceted standard that takes into account more than just intelligence as a factor. Though, I'd prefer no mandatory breeding for people that do pass the standards. Some people don't like the idea of making babies and have no intention to regardless.

Back