Destiny Getting Paid Cosmetic DLC

HardOCP News

[H] News
Activision and Bungie have announced Skyrim Horse Armor 2.0 DLC. Odd that they are going this route to raise money, I could have sworn they were just bragging about selling tons of The Taken King.

This coming Tuesday, October 13th, Tess Everis will return to The Tower with a new look, a new storefront, and some new items to sell, courtesy of Eververse Trading Company. Initially, Tess will offer eighteen brand new emotes. Like the trio of emotes offered via The Taken King Collector’s Edition, these emotes are completely optional, and won’t impact the action game in any way. To acquire these items, you’ll first need to pick up some “Silver,” a new in-game currency that will be available for purchase through the store associated with your console.

Next thing you know, they'll be selling spaceships that you can't fly!

I have no problem with paid cosmetic dlc. It does not effect the gameplay at all.

I got $5 that says it's just another way the Destiny community will turn on each other. It used to be:

No raid gear? Kicked. No Gjallarhorn? Kicked. Vendor gear? Kicked. Christmas n00b? Kicked. Light Level under 295? Kicked. Grimoire too low? Kicked. Etc. etc. etc.

Now it will be:

Cosmetic DLC? Kicked.

:D

Next thing you know, they'll be selling spaceships that you can't fly!

For $900 ;)

I do hope that they make a boss that can only be defeat by the combine power of dance.

It's a dance off bro! - GotG

I got $5 that says it's just another way the Destiny community will turn on each other. It used to be:

No raid gear? Kicked. No Gjallarhorn? Kicked. Vendor gear? Kicked. Christmas n00b? Kicked. Light Level under 295? Kicked. Grimoire too low? Kicked. Etc. etc. etc.

Now it will be:

Cosmetic DLC? Kicked.

:D

For $900 ;)

It's a dance off bro! - GotG

I've never had any of those issues, shit my first few raids I was essentially being carried. I was just found by some randoms on a patrol and they were chill people.

And I myself don't mind helping lower leveled people out either. I was on Patrol once and helped a group of 4 open VoG and then continued patrolling.

That said, cosmetic DLC is the stupidest shit ever come up with, however if people want to waste money like that I can't much fault any developer or publisher that treats them like the cattle they act like.

I'm still trying to find the "trio" of emotes. I only got one.

one on each class

Hunter- sprinkler

Titan-Hammer time

Warlock-circle glide

paid stuff that isn't pay to win or affecting gameplay causes zero issues for me.

Now give me the carlton.

My destiny friends say this means free DLC and i'm literally laughing in their faces over that. I don't believe for a fucking second that activision is going to be so generous and let the rest of the pesants have dlc for free.

Activision has always been out to screw the people who work with them. from the olden days of atari 2600 to modern. They are still at the same old tricks as back then. Bungie is finding out now that activision is going to destroy their soul if it hasn't already.

55043714.jpg

You're not missing anything. It'll take you 1-2 hours to beat the game, then you play those same missions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to gain money to buy armor to level up. Did I mention you do the same BS over and over and over again?

The story starts out interesting, then takes multiple turns and ends up completely stupid. The only way the story makes sense is to read grimoire, which I'm not wasting my time doing. I stopped playing the game after hitting max level like when it was lvl 30. I didn't bother buying The Taken King DLC. I wish I didn't waste my money on the game at all really.

You're not missing anything. It'll take you 1-2 hours to beat the game, then you play those same missions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to gain money to buy armor to level up. Did I mention you do the same BS over and over and over again?

The story starts out interesting, then takes multiple turns and ends up completely stupid. The only way the story makes sense is to read grimoire, which I'm not wasting my time doing. I stopped playing the game after hitting max level like when it was lvl 30. I didn't bother buying The Taken King DLC. I wish I didn't waste my money on the game at all really.

1-2 hours really? I agree with the rest, but it certainly takes longer than 2 hours. Hell the raids alone take that amount of time not including LFG and dying a shit load.

1-2 hours really? I agree with the rest, but it certainly takes longer than 2 hours. Hell the raids alone take that amount of time not including LFG and dying a shit load.

If you just want to complete the story and skip all the other fluff, ya, it doesn't take long at all. I'm excluding the time sitting there sitting on a cut scene, as well...it's a stupid long amount of time sitting there waiting on cut scenes.

If it's your first time playing, it does take maybe a day, but if it's your second character, it takes no time, as you can reuse weapons you keep around in storage. If you add in cut scenes, ya, it's like 4-5 hours. It's freaking ridiculous.

If you just want to complete the story and skip all the other fluff, ya, it doesn't take long at all. I'm excluding the time sitting there sitting on a cut scene, as well...it's a stupid long amount of time sitting there waiting on cut scenes.

If it's your first time playing, it does take maybe a day, but if it's your second character, it takes no time, as you can reuse weapons you keep around in storage. If you add in cut scenes, ya, it's like 4-5 hours. It's freaking ridiculous.

That is being extremely dishonest and misleading. You don't get to exclude cutscenes, something ubiquitous to most games as part of your initial play time. With that it takes significantly more than 4-5 hours if you talk about everything Pre TTK. As for the grind, welcome to basically every game that has a leveling system for at least the past 15 years. I don't know where people get this absurd notion that this is something new to destiny. It also still takes a significant portion of time for a second character as there are level restrictions on weapons. I leveled up 3 characters and yes I had maxed out weapons for each level range. They help, but they don't make you invincible. I will agree that not being able to skip cuts after the first time you have seen them is annoying. It would have been a most welcome option. However that isn't the first game by any stretch to have unskippable cutscenes.

You don't like Destiny, that's fine but don't start exaggerating and making shit up. That just makes you look like a tool.

I won't comment on TTK as I didn't buy it nor will I. I've played too many MMO's over the years to consider TTK a fair value. I like destiny, but they can take a flying leap if they think that is worth $40. I might consider it if they ever drop it down to sub $20 because I wanted to finish the story. But then again, at this point I can just watch it on youtube so I prob won't now.

Add 1.5 hours in for flying to and from the Tower.
Add 15 minutes for popping Synths.
Subtract 20 minutes for skipping all (useless) cut scenes

I feel like TTK has more content than all of Pre-TTK Destiny. I just wish I could unequip dance, point and sit and replace them with Special Synth, Heavy Sync and 3 of Coins. TTK's UI feels much more sluggish.

Sigh, another game that would have been more epic on the PC.

The story starts out? wait wait wait. They started a story at some point in the game? I must have missed that part.

I feel like TTK has more content than all of Pre-TTK Destiny. I just wish I could unequip dance, point and sit and replace them with Special Synth, Heavy Sync and 3 of Coins. TTK's UI feels much more sluggish.

I doubt that Sony would allow that. Console games in general don't allow for remapping which, is simply stupid.

"a new in-game currency"

That I'm 1000% sure will ONLY ever be used for emotes.

YES!

Why are there freaking emotes on my controller when there are important things I could use instead of hitting menu, going into inventory, clicking on synth and then quickly exiting and asking for a rez.

That it most definitely does not have.
No it doesn't, but it does have a pretty large amount of content it seems. A new player gets the best deal really. $60 for everything so far released is a lot of content. Too bad the rest of us got shafted.

I doubt that Sony would allow that. Console games in general don't allow for remapping which, is simply stupid.

Not exactly Sonys call though. Maybe 100% remapping, but it's not uncommon for games to have multiple control layouts to choose from. And some do allow remapping. I recall once reading (from a Japanese developer) that if a user needs to remap their controls that they (the dev) failed at their job basically.

So I see devs with a single controller layout as being too proud to realize they fucked it in some way, plus the fact that some people have different preferences.

Bungie can burn in hell. I liked Destiny, but their monitization strategy is disgusting. Launch a game with too little content and charge an arm and a leg for DLC, then release what they should have released at the original price a year later? Go to hell.

No it doesn't, but it does have a pretty large amount of content it seems. A new player gets the best deal really. $60 for everything so far released is a lot of content. Too bad the rest of us got shafted.

Not exactly Sonys call though. Maybe 100% remapping, but it's not uncommon for games to have multiple control layouts to choose from. And some do allow remapping. I recall once reading (from a Japanese developer) that if a user needs to remap their controls that they (the dev) failed at their job basically.

So I see devs with a single controller layout as being too proud to realize they fucked it in some way, plus the fact that some people have different preferences.

Primary reason I refuse to buy TTK. New players get it for basically $20, those of us with everything and the season pass get dicked over.

Wait wut? It took me 40hours to go from lvl 1 to 40 LL275. There is a ton of content in the Destiny Legendary Edition. Especially if you are starting from scratch. Destiny is easily a 50-100hr game now (not counting the dailies/heroic/Raids).

That is being extremely dishonest and misleading. You don't get to exclude cutscenes, something ubiquitous to most games as part of your initial play time. With that it takes significantly more than 4-5 hours if you talk about everything Pre TTK. As for the grind, welcome to basically every game that has a leveling system for at least the past 15 years. I don't know where people get this absurd notion that this is something new to destiny. It also still takes a significant portion of time for a second character as there are level restrictions on weapons. I leveled up 3 characters and yes I had maxed out weapons for each level range. They help, but they don't make you invincible. I will agree that not being able to skip cuts after the first time you have seen them is annoying. It would have been a most welcome option. However that isn't the first game by any stretch to have unskippable cutscenes.

I'm not playing during a cut scene. Half the time I'm not even on my computer during them, cause it's just telling me what I need to do, even though I already know what I was suppose to do. Hence, I don't consider it part of my play time.

You don't like Destiny, that's fine but don't start exaggerating and making shit up. That just makes you look like a tool.

What am I making up? That the game has jack crap for content and it takes no time to complete. Yes, you can go out and do side quests that don't do anything for the story. Nor does even lvling your character. You don't need max level to beat the game, nor does hitting higher lvls make the game more difficult or easy.

I won't comment on TTK as I didn't buy it nor will I. I've played too many MMO's over the years to consider TTK a fair value. I like destiny, but they can take a flying leap if they think that is worth $40. I might consider it if they ever drop it down to sub $20 because I wanted to finish the story. But then again, at this point I can just watch it on youtube so I prob won't now.

I was fully thinking Destiny would have an intriguing story, like the Halo series. Hence why I bought it on release. Sadly, I was mistaken. It plays like a Simpson's episode. Where the story initially starts one way, takes a detour, then ends up with a completely different story.

Just did a quick count. 6 strikes in the base (PS) version of the game and 22 story missions. I know 2 of which are just cutscenes so I'll ignore those. That's 26 total. Your claimed 1-2 hours beginning to end makes for 2:20-4:40 minute long missions.

It may not be stuffed with content but to claim you are beating it in 2 hours is outrageous. Just stop.

Just did a quick count. 6 strikes in the base (PS) version of the game and 22 story missions. I know 2 of which are just cutscenes so I'll ignore those. That's 26 total. Your claimed 1-2 hours beginning to end makes for 2:20-4:40 minute long missions.

It may not be stuffed with content but to claim you are beating it in 2 hours is outrageous. Just stop.

They're called speed runs. Many missions you can do in 1-2 minutes. NG can be done in 2 hours, while NG+ can be done in under 2 hours.

They're called speed runs. Many missions you can do in 1-2 minutes. NG can be done in 2 hours, while NG+ can be done in under 2 hours.

Speed runs aren't anywhere near the same as playing the game. Claiming so is just flat dishonest and you should know it. Speed runs take a ton of practice and time and knowing what can or cannot be skipped or circumvented. This applies to speed runs in any game.

So basically at this point you are just making shit up to suit your agenda. No new player is going to complete ANY mission much less all of them in that time frame.

Speed runs aren't anywhere near the same as playing the game. Claiming so is just flat dishonest and you should know it. Speed runs take a ton of practice and time and knowing what can or cannot be skipped or circumvented. This applies to speed runs in any game.

So basically at this point you are just making shit up to suit your agenda. No new player is going to complete ANY mission much less all of them in that time frame.

I gave up. Proved him wrong once and he moved the goal posts and changed the rules. I'm too old to deal with forum insanity these days.

It's easy to know what can/cannot be skipped. Not in the objective, skip it. Sure, I can do every single quest and crap in the game and spend 40+ hours before I beat the game. I didn't.

It's easy to know what can/cannot be skipped. Not in the objective, skip it. Sure, I can do every single quest and crap in the game and spend 40+ hours before I beat the game. I didn't.

As a new player it isn't nearly as easy as you pretend it is. Furthermore you make this asinine assumption that all new players are simply loading into a mission and going "ok how do I skip all unnecessary stuff and win in 2 minutes". They aren't, most are just enjoying the game the first time. I'm an experienced speed runner in games and even I wasn't actively looking for shortcuts my first play through. So I'm sorry, but you are either full of shit or delusional if you think the average player only spent few minutes per mission. If you somehow managed to blow though every mission sub 5 minutes your first run, then you're special and that isn't typical. I somehow doubt it because you would be skilled way beyond average and making money on twitch and YouTube showcasing that talent. Given you aren't, I call bullshit.

by your fucked up logic Super Mario World is only a 2 minute game.

So by your thinking the answer to this is force the player through all the side quests, take away the choice element and then it is a more complete game?

Skipping everything is just screwing yourself out of enjoyment. I mean if you don't like the game I respect that but what you are arguing is just dumb. So technically, atari 2600 games (that had no ending) had more gameplay and content than destiny? F*ckin asteriods had way more to do than destiny ever will lol :rolleyes:

This discussion is stupid. Anyone with an IQ higher than mayonnaise understands that a speed run is not a logical way to determine the play time of a game.

Back