How do you trade online?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Was wondering whats the proper way to trade hardware online? For example if I wanted to trade a motherboard with another use for another motherboard? Should both parties send equal payment to each other through paypal so paypal protection can be invoked?

Thanks.

A trade like that is a bit different. Because no money is changing hands you wouldn't/can't really use paypal. This really requires trust in the other user. I'd probably also ship it with a way that allows me to stop/redirect if need be. But otherwise you would do a LOT of research on the other party, and then just cross ship.

It's a judgment call. If the person you are trading with is a 2 year user with 2 Heatware and you are a 12 year user with 100 positive Heatware I would expect them to ship first. If you trust them and they have good Heat and a long time on the board just make the deal and set a ship by 10/7 agreement or something.

I'll probably end up on eBay as my Heatware could be better in that I rarely sell stuff despite all positive heatware ratings. Doubt Ebay allows trades though..

Thanks

For me, all the above plus I look at your 11.7 years on here. Not going to say you can't get screwed but it's a factor for me. I also notice people over time...would easily trade with MiLk, HeavensCloud, or jojo69 just based on seeing them around regularly.

heatware FTW

Def heatware...also do some background investigating. Check their posts...see if they are a troll or not.

I did a even trade for Titans a while back and the trader was amazing. He payed shipping since I was doing him a favor.

Def heatware...also do some background investigating. Check their posts...see if they are a troll or not.

I did a even trade for Titans a while back and the trader was amazing. He payed shipping since I was doing him a favor.

Ya. HeatWare + post count + age on the forums + other forums/eBay feedback is a good indication, especially checking posts and Googling their email address and whatnot.

And don't forget to do legwork on them. Look up their name and the city they live in. Get a "real" email address. (not [email protected].) A phone number that you actually call to make sure it's them. Though with prepaid cells and google phone numbers this might not help much anymore. This is good advice even if you are buying something. I'd do this for high dollar items though.

I've traded a few times on here and the best bet is to just judge the crap out the other person, if ANYTHING seems fishy just bail. There is no easy recourse when trading so play it safe.

you could ship it via the slowest method possible so his item arrives first, and if it checks out you won't need to stop/redirect delivery.

just kidding guys please don't hurt me....

Back