Intel Engineers Collaborate with Microsoft To Enhance Key Windows 10 Features

HardOCP News

[H] News
Last month, Intel debuted 6th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family, its best ever. Engineered to run best on Windows* 10, 6th Gen Intel Core and Microsoft's* newest operating system mark a major milestone for the computing industry and will make people's "personal computing" experience significantly more personal. Doug Fisher, senior VP and general manager of Intel's Software and Services Group explains the behind the scenes collaboration between Intel and Microsoft engineers that resulted in key enhancements in Windows 10.

Should read as:

"Intel and Microsoft conspire to force users to upgrade hardware and/or operating system in order to get the best possible performance"

Since Moore's Law is basically dead now (today's computer are as fast as anyone generally needs) they need new ways to spark up the industry and maintain sales.

http://blogs.intel.com/evangelists/2015/10/02/intel-microsoft-new-experiences/

To that end, I would like to share four essential ways Intel® software engineers, working with Microsoft, have ensured Intel’s best processors and platforms deliver fresh, unsurpassed experiences on Windows 10.

Cortana lets you directly interact with your PC, hands-free
Available on Windows 10 devices, Cortana is a personal assistant who helps you get things done and gets to know you over time. Intel engaged early with Microsoft to help bring Cortana’s innovative and extensive capabilities to life. Intel engineers optimized speech algorithms and voice activation, improved microphone implementations, reduced power consumption, and enhanced responsiveness. Much of this work applies to all Windows 10 systems in the ecosystem. In addition, we implemented optimizations to take advantage of specific Intel hardware features.

For example, for platforms based on the new 6th Generation Intel® Core™ processor family, Intel and Microsoft are enabling the keyword spotter algorithm, which listens for phrases like “Hey Cortana,” to be offloaded to a dual-core digital signal processor within the processor SoC. This offloading functionality, when available on Windows 10, will allow Cortana to continue listening for commands with improved energy efficiency. With Microsoft, we also enabled an extensibility model that allows application developers to integrate Cortana speech interaction with their software. For example, a streaming video app developer could add the capability for users to ask Cortana to add a new TV show to their watch list without even opening the app.

Windows Hello says goodbye to traditional passwords
Biometrics are not new to PCs, but Windows Hello takes log-on expediency to new levels. Using your face, iris, or fingerprint, you can unlock your device. No more typing passwords. To make this happen, Intel engineers developed software and protocols for the Intel® RealSense™ camera to deliver a responsive and reliable Windows Hello experience. We analyzed the end-to-end system and devised performance optimizations to ensure that Windows Hello authenticates users on Intel platforms quickly. We also made sure that the system could operate across a wide range of lighting environments.

I love that Windows Hello works in the dark, is not fooled by photos or masks, and if you wear glasses, can be set to identify when you are wearing them and when you are not.

WiGig delivers smooth, wireless pairing
Imagine walking to your desk with laptop in arm, sitting down, and without touching a button or reaching for a tangle of wires, your PC automatically connects with the display, keyboard, and mouse. That is what WiGig does for enterprise PCs, and it is part of Intel’s “no wires” initiative (along with Cortana), where devices can communicate without wires at multi-gigabyte speeds. Intel worked closely with Microsoft to integrate WiGig technology in Windows 10 and enable wireless docking as part of a key native user experience of the new OS. This experience is similar to how a smartphone pairs with Bluetooth; once in range, the phone automatically connects. This wireless docking works with a wide variety of displays and USB peripherals.

Microsoft Edge offers a fast, fresh browser experience
As much as we rely on our browsers, we often do not have much love for them. But I think Microsoft Edge will change that. There is a lot to like about it. Microsoft Edge has a modern user interface, improved security, Cortana integration, and it is fast. The close collaboration between Intel and Microsoft engineers delivered new levels of responsiveness, performance and power efficiency to existing HTML5 and JavaScript applications. Such improvements were made possible by new platform features like Intel® Speed Shift Technology, which dramatically improves responsiveness by dynamically managing power states. Intel has also implemented SIMD.js, which brings Single Instruction Multiple Data capabilities to Microsoft Edge to deliver amazing performance for multimedia, gaming and visualization applications. SIMD instruction sets enable execution of the same operation on multiple values simultaneously by taking advantage of data-level parallelism.

Scalable Advantage, New Opportunities
Windows 10 running on the latest Intel platforms also delivers on a key vision: convergence. This allows us to scale an operating environment from extremely small memory-footprint devices in the IoT space to phones, tablets, 2-in-1s and All-in-Ones all the way to servers. It marks a new era of experiences for consumers and companies, and new opportunities for OEMs, ODMs and developers that are enabled by platforms and developer tools optimized for Windows 10.

As Intel and Microsoft begin a third decade of engineering partnership, our shared dedication continues to turn tomorrow’s computing vision into today’s reality. I am excited about the amazing new experiences we have made possible for Windows 10, and I am looking forward to the next chapter of our collaboration.
Never knew people at Intel were so gifted at marketing?

Why is this list boring and means so little, can't Intel atl east brag about how they improved Cortana so that MS and Intel can get all your personal data from each query?

Should read as:

"Intel and Microsoft conspire to force users to upgrade hardware and/or operating system in order to get the best possible performance"

Since Moore's Law is basically dead now (today's computer are as fast as anyone generally needs) they need new ways to spark up the industry and maintain sales.

I build a new PC about every two years, while my friend is still using his Q6700 from about '08. All he's done is upgrade his video card, and re-install / upgrade his operating system a couple times, and his seven year old system works great for moderate gaming.
I like to build and tinker, but I'm beginning to think that I'm as idiot for building a new PC every two years.

If your not a hard core gamer, you could easily get by with a new PC every five years or so.

I build a new PC about every two years, while my friend is still using his Q6700 from about '08. All he's done is upgrade his video card, and re-install / upgrade his operating system a couple times, and his seven year old system works great for moderate gaming.
I like to build and tinker, but I'm beginning to think that I'm as idiot for building a new PC every two years.

If your not a hard core gamer, you could easily get by with a new PC every five years or so.

For 1080p any top end system from 08/09 is still likely enough excepting the vid card. The gains just aren't there for general usage anymore.

Never knew people at Intel were so gifted at marketing?

Why is this list boring and means so little, can't Intel atl east brag about how they improved Cortana so that MS and Intel can get all your personal data from each query?

Not sure how you call WiGig boring or meaning little. If it works as well as advertised it looks pretty awesome.

Intel partners with Microsoft to spin-doctor enhanced data collection and telemetry gathering as a feature in order to...*drumroll*...sell more copies of Windows 10 and Intel CPUs in an otherwise flat PC market. Sounds good. You guys keep working at that and like, let us know how it turns out.

Sounds like a security risk more then anything else , for the enterprise users right ?

How is this anymore of a security risk than any other wireless technology? And I don't think it's just for enterprises, Apple is part of the Alliance behind this along with many other major industry players. Though at first it'll probably be expensive so businesses will likely be the bulk of early adopters.

How is this anymore of a security risk than any other wireless technology? And I don't think it's just for enterprises, Apple is part of the Alliance behind this along with many other major industry players. Though at first it'll probably be expensive so businesses will likely be the bulk of early adopters.

No one said it was more of a security risk than any other wireless technology.
That said, the more wireless systems you have, the greater the risk that one of those systems can be compromised.

I'm interested to see is what impact this will have on the wireless bridge industry.
60GHz is a license-free spectrum and is used by companies like Bridgewave and Lightpointe for point-to-point data links.
At these frequencies, the signal propagation is pretty focused, but if there is a lot of RF being generated in a given location, it might create some issues.

Back