Scientists Suggest New Twist On The Demise Of The Dinosaurs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Scientists still cling to the popular idea that dinosaurs went extinct because of something big hitting the earth, but recent findings allude to more than one catastrophe having been in play.

New research suggests that the asteroid or comet that slammed into the Earth 66 million years ago rocked the planet so violently that it accelerated a massive volcanic eruption in India, a double catastrophe that wiped out the dinosaurs and 70 percent of the Earth's species.

I always like the old Gary Larson cartoon titled "The real reason dinosaurs became extinct" which showed a bunch of dinosaurs smoking cigarettes.

I've seen this multi-event theory before (though for various causes). When you consider how long the extinctions took it makes some sense.

The dinosaurs didn't exactly 'die out,' we just call them birds.

Impact events certainly kill off a lot of stuff at once, but the main reason we have smaller animals today is that the percentage of oxygen in the air is lower. It rises and falls over the eons as continents move and vegetation levels change.

As others have said, this is nothing new. That there is a fairly clear relationship between the KT boundary and the extinction of the dinosaurs can't be overlooked. Of course there would be massive volcanic activity in the event of a KT like strike. Yellowstone would probably open up if the impact were in the same hemisphere.

I guess they still want to not believe a great flood concept because marine fossils consistently found at the highest elevations on earth or the fact that 90% of all fossils are buried in sedimentary layers is to obvious for the highly enlightened. And there are no, zero fossils of any kind ever found in the in between stages of the evolutionary process only complete creatures.

The argument about smaller creatures due to less oxygen? really how did the abominable snowman get so large?

This isn't a new twist, I read a book that suggested a similar theory 20 years ago.

I guess they still want to not believe a great flood concept because marine fossils consistently found at the highest elevations on earth or the fact that 90% of all fossils are buried in sedimentary layers is to obvious for the highly enlightened. And there are no, zero fossils of any kind ever found in the in between stages of the evolutionary process only complete creatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTOla3TyfqQ

The planet is deteriorating because the environment used to be able to sustain ginormous creatures compared to now relatively tiny ones. Pretty soon we're all going to be midgets or smaller.

Back