AT&T Accuses Rivals Of Launching Wi-Fi Calling Without FCC Approval

HardOCP News

[H] News
AT&T has sent a letter to the FCC accusing its competitors of launching WiFi calling without approval. T-Mobile CEO John Legere didn't seem to concerned.

In a letter to FCC chairman Tom Wheeler seen by The Verge, AT&T's legal SVP James Cicconi says that T-Mobile and Sprint started offering Wi-Fi calling services despite the commission not having granted a waiver for TTY (teletypewriter) support; Cicconi says AT&T faced a "Hobson's choice" of either following its competitors' lead or developing a technical alternative while asking the FCC for a temporary waiver. TTY can be less reliable on certain Wi-Fi networks.

Uh.... is there a reason to require approval? It's not like it's a new thing. But I don't know the ins and outs of this. Not sure how RTT has anything to do with Wifi calling.

I'm not sure what RTT is, but TTY is for the deaf, dumb and/or blind. I don't see how it matters. If you're using TTY, no WiFi calls. Its' really a convenience for those with bad cell service or the few people who don't have unlimited voice on their smartphone plan. I'm one of those, but honestly I doubt I'd use all my minutes anyway. Who talks on a phone?

Yeah I don't understand this, the wifi already has approval on their devices, I'm not exactly sure why it is relevant what they actually do over wifi.

So wait, what am I missing here? How long has TMO had Wi-Fi based calling? I can remember having it on MULTIPLE generations of Blackberry devices way back in the day and I loved it when I had no inside house cell coverage on said BBs.

First device I had it on was a mytouch 3g first gen phone.. that was 2009... I think someone was asleep at the wheel if they had an issue with wifi calling... or skype calls that was a year or two later on phones and about 2002 to 2004 some time that skpe and asterix voice over ip got started...

Back