Windows 10 Market Share Inches Up Slightly

Its easy for that to happen when they install it on your computer without asking you. I swear to god if I boot up my gaming PC and it has Win 10 I'm going to...shit I don't even know what I'd do...but I'd be pissed!

I have a hard time believing there are still so many stupid people running Windows XP.

The real takeaway here is a confirmation that adoption has flattened, as suspected by Microsoft suddenly going silent in September on reporting how many millions had upgraded, which they were more than happy to do in August almost weekly (i.e. "75 million users", etc). Whenever they've suddenly gone silent there's been a reason.

Falling from 5.6% growth in August to 1.39% in September = the privacy, update and EULA issues matter, they're now struggling to *give* an OS away. Windows 7 only bled 1.1% and holds steady at 56.53%. This is well short of the massive inroads into that Windows 7 share that fans and investors were hoping for.

I think we'll finally see MS capitulate on the datamining/telemetry crap, but it won't happen for another 6 months. The time to do it is NOW if not from day one, the trial balloon has failed and the longer they don't give people the ability to opt out of everything, the flatter adoption will get.

This also sets DX12 back as a target for game developers for at least several more development cycles (3-5 years), they will not design games for DX12 with this many Windows 7 users.

1443734861kn1kdRDmXu_1_1.jpg

I will never give up my privacy by installing W10!!!

Ohhhh, DX12!!

Take it!!
Take my info, gimme the shiny!!!!

I just upgraded at the end of last month. So far, it's pretty much the same as 7/8. Yeah no start screen and it's got start screen stuff in the start menu, but from a usability POV, it works the same.

Overall, July/August was for the early adopters. It won't take off until OEMs start shipping systems with 10. The only other OS I've installed this quickly is 7 (which went in a few weeks after the RTM went up on technet). If I hadn't built a new machine I wouldn't have installed 10.

I still have a pc I use all the time running Windows xp, mostly because the 3d software I own and use isn't compatible with Windows 7 and am too poor to buy new stuff when the old still works great to this day. The machine isn't hooked up to the net mind you, but it's still a great machine.

And when you make 10 free and people hate Windows 8 (right or wrong, I personally likes it fine with classic shell but I have had people who don't really know what they are talking about ask me why I don't hate Windows 8 when their only argument is it sucks) people will update no matter what. I would love to see how many of those 10 systems are from Windows 8.

What that chart says is that the peoples like Win7 over all other OS combined. The peoples have spoken so give them what they demand.

What that chart says is that the peoples like Win7 over all other OS combined. The peoples have spoken so give them what they demand.

In fairness, the first month's uptake percentage was spring-loaded since Microsoft's GWX.exe upgrade nag spent months rounding up users for day one upgrades. So to more accurately forecast the uptake dropoff for the next 6-12 months, October's number will be the most interesting.

In fairness, the first month's uptake percentage was spring-loaded since Microsoft's GWX.exe upgrade nag spent months rounding up users for day one upgrades. So to more accurately forecast the uptake dropoff for the next 6-12 months, October's number will be the most interesting.

Are new laptops coming this month? I thought I read that they weren't coming until November (though a month or 2 ago I thought I'd read they were coming this month).

My guess is that the November numbers will be the more telling (or are Christmas laptops a thing?)

This is more telling:

Code:
Windows 10
July, 2015	0.39%
August, 2015	5.21%
September, 2015	6.63%

Early adopters caused an initial bump and the biggest drop was in Windows 8.1 share (falling 25% over those 3 months). wah-wah

I run both Windows 8.1 on machines with less resources since it has less Microsoft bloat and Windows 10 on beefier machines where I can play around with the Microsoft bloat such as Cortana, OneDrive integration, etc.

No Windows 7 for me though since it feels archaic.

I've updated 2 of 3 systems at home to Windows 10. Windows 7 still looks better than anything since but I did make 8/8.1 work with stardock window blinds. Sort of like Office 2010 looked fine and was easy to read you know...text...on documents while Office 2013 makes your eyes bleed.

Are new laptops coming this month? I thought I read that they weren't coming until November (though a month or 2 ago I thought I'd read they were coming this month).

My guess is that the November numbers will be the more telling (or are Christmas laptops a thing?)

Huh? Walk into a Best Buy and Windows 10 is on everything. Has been. It's one of the reasons MS pushed 10 out half-baked was to get it into OEM hands for back to school window.

Its easy for that to happen when they install it on your computer without asking you. I swear to god if I boot up my gaming PC and it has Win 10 I'm going to...shit I don't even know what I'd do...but I'd be pissed!

I bet you would do something truly radical and not just sit there and end up doing nothing.

I have a hard time believing there are still so many stupid people running Windows XP.

...or the derps still on 8.1? At least XP has an excuse on older business models.

Window 7 appears to be THE shitz!!! :cool:

Because it is

Window 7 appears to be THE shitz!!! :cool:

The days of Windows 7 as a consumer OS are done. 7 is six years old and the product of era that was the culmination of the traditional desktop as a consumer device. 7 predates tablets and the euphoric rise of much current social media. Hell even FB was just becoming a big deal when 7 came out.

Obliviously there's been much debate in the blogosphere about privacy concerns in Windows 10. And a common themes been have argued such as "Just because everyone is doing doesn't make it right!" or "Give user options to turn all of the data collection off!" Perhaps that's correct. But here's the issue for Windows in the consumer world. Who buys a smartphone or tablet and worries about these things? I know that some will argue because many consumers are just dumb. And 13 million dumb consumers bought the new iPhones over last weekend with no worry of these issues.

If Windows is destined to be constrained to the practices and principles of 1980's computing, it's usefulness as a consumer will be done. That may happen in any case regardless.

Windows 10 treats me pretty well. I got most of my computers on 10 except for my laptop which I'll be switching over in the next few weeks.

The days of Windows 7 as a consumer OS are done. 7 is six years old and the product of era that was the culmination of the traditional desktop as a consumer device.

56.53% of computer users would disagree with you.

Its close enough? :D

I run all machines on 7 except my main which is 8.1 with classic shell. I have not tried 10. If I do, I hear MS will know about how I like it before I do......

More importantly Linux has grown to 1.7%.

Yup and that's totally interesting. I'm happy to have Linux on my laptops and since Windows 7 started doing the whole thing with bugging me about upgrading (and downloading a copy of 10 to install "just in case" I wanted it...WTF?!) I haven't even turned my Windows 7 netbook on again. In like a month or so I'll probably install a copy of some sort of Linux distro on it too since it's obvious that I don't need Windows for anything anymore. Pushing 10 so hard with all its creeper Google-like invasive stuff was finally enough for me and it looks like a few other people feel the same way. I totally doubt Linux will even get to 10% in the next 3 years, but its nice to see it growing. Since you can now play tons of Steam games on it, there's like no reason to keep Windows around since that was literally the last thingy on the checklist that it wasn't already doing.

Maybe if the notification for Win7 to Win10 upgrade would work, maybe those numbers would be different. Mine says it's still not ready. I know how to force it, but I'll do it in the winter. A lot of people I know haven't received the "windows 10 installation is ready" message.

...or the derps still on 8.1? At least 7 has an excuse on older business models.

Window 10 appears to be THE shitz!!! :cool:

Because it is

This is what you will be saying 10 years from now. :D This looks to be something that will be "debated" for the next 10 years? Get it? 10 Years, Windows 10? Sigh.... Walks of stage. :D

Its close enough? :D

I run all machines on 7 except my main which is 8.1 with classic shell. I have not tried 10. If I do, I hear MS will know about how I like it before I do......

If you haven't tweaked the default settings in 7 and 8.1, MS knows how you like those OSs too.

Gamers appear to be enjoying Windows 10.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-being-used-close-25-all-steam-pc-gamers

The survey results, updated for the month of September, shows that the 64-bit version of Windows 10 is now being used by 23.99% of Steam customers, while another 0.88% are using the 32-bit version of Windows 10, for a combined total of 24.87%, well above August's 17.02% share. The 64-bit version of Windows 10 is now currently the second most-used operating system on Steam, behind the 64-bit version of Windows 10 with 37.48%

Combined, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 are still being used by 45.99% of Steam users, according to the hardware survey stats, so it may be a while before Windows 10 surpasses it among those PC gamers. However, it seems clear that the adoption rate of Windows 10 among Steam users is much higher than the general PC market so far.
[\quote]

I bet most of those are production computers in a corporate environment. I would further guess that they are suffering some extreme vendor lock-in at this time and would love to upgrade to a newer version but cannot.

In an elevator at MS I saw a sign for a "Windows as a Service" (WAAS) symposium. That day, I went and ordered a full version of Win 7 Pro -- previously I had only the update version, and I wanted to make sure I had access to a full (clean) install if necessary. It wasn't cheap to get, as MS has long since stopped making it available, but I don't regret the price I paid.

I have no intention of ever getting Windows as a Service, nor will I be getting Win 10 on my machine. I gutted their "helpful" attempt to "encourage" me to auto-download Win 10, even after it installed minders twice onto my system.

I don't like the direction MS is going and how their becoming more pushy in their relationship with their customers. The worst part is that I don't see the trends changing at all, so I expect they'll keep on going the way they have been for a while. I wonder if I'll ever buy any of their products again... it's starting to seem doubtful, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Gamers appear to be enjoying Windows 10.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-being-used-close-25-all-steam-pc-gamers

The survey results, updated for the month of September, shows that the 64-bit version of Windows 10 is now being used by 23.99% of Steam customers, while another 0.88% are using the 32-bit version of Windows 10, for a combined total of 24.87%, well above August's 17.02% share. The 64-bit version of Windows 10 is now currently the second most-used operating system on Steam, behind the 64-bit version of Windows 10 with 37.48%

Combined, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 are still being used by 45.99% of Steam users, according to the hardware survey stats, so it may be a while before Windows 10 surpasses it among those PC gamers. However, it seems clear that the adoption rate of Windows 10 among Steam users is much higher than the general PC market so far.
[\quote]

This is what I mean by Windows 7 being done in the consumer market. Sure it'll be around forever I'm sure to some degree like XP in the consumer and to a much larger extent in the business world. But as 10 matures, more new hardware is released, DX 12 games start to come online. Windows 10 is on track in the next 3 to 6 months even with much lower growth rates to over take 7 as the #1 Steam client. Something that Windows 8.x failed to do in 3 years.

I don't like the direction MS is going and how their becoming more pushy in their relationship with their customers.

What direction should Microsoft be going in? It seems that most people that don't like this stuff just want Windows 7, i.e. a local files, local desktop app platform that's disconnected by modern standards. There doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for this in today's consumer market.

Huh? Walk into a Best Buy and Windows 10 is on everything. Has been. It's one of the reasons MS pushed 10 out half-baked was to get it into OEM hands for back to school window.

New laptops = skylake laptops. Everybody is different, but when I buy it'll have a Skylake CPU. I put off a desktop build and buying a new laptop because I wanted this chip.

This is what I mean by Windows 7 being done in the consumer market. Sure it'll be around forever I'm sure to some degree like XP in the consumer and to a much larger extent in the business world. But as 10 matures, more new hardware is released, DX 12 games start to come online. Windows 10 is on track in the next 3 to 6 months even with much lower growth rates to over take 7 as the #1 Steam client. Something that Windows 8.x failed to do in 3 years.

Yeah, Windows 10 is definitely a serviceable replacement for consumers. That uptake was faster than I was expecting amongst Steam users, but then again it's free, and Windows 10 fixes most of the major complaints about 8.

I would be interested to see how fast the Steam uptake slackens though. I just don't see more than 1/3 of Steam users even knowing with an operating system is :D

New laptops = skylake laptops. Everybody is different, but when I buy it'll have a Skylake CPU. I put off a desktop build and buying a new laptop because I wanted this chip.

Gotcha.But realize you're an edge case - most consumers buying a laptop have no clue or care what Skylake means.

Back