Windows 10 Recovery

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
So my hard drive was dying in my laptop, so I backed it up and replaced the dying intel SSD with a new Samsung SSD.

I then thought I would test my home backup solution by restoring from WSE.

It went really smooth, replaced the drive, plugged in an ethernet cable and booted off the WSE2012R2 server on the network.

Or so I thought, one the recovery finished I'm getting an error in windows 10.

It boots to recovery with code 0x000000e File\\Windows\system32\winload.exe
then tells me I will need recovery tools etc.

Not really sure what to do now? Did I trip some kind of security mechanism by changing hard drives? That seems a bit ridiculous so I'm guessing it is another problem. My Windows 10 was the free windows 7 upgrade. I have a lot of development work on this machine so I don't really want to clean install.

My initial guess would be a MBR issue.

I would boot into windows recovery via usb or disc.. or whatever media you used to install previously and run

bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

I would think with a differing drive size the OS is not really sure whats going on. Good luck.

My initial guess would be a MBR issue.

I would boot into windows recovery via usb or disc.. or whatever media you used to install previously and run

bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

I would think with a differing drive size the OS is not really sure whats going on. Good luck.

ran those commands, said they completed but it didn't work. Same problem.
Also when I try to Reset the PC it tells me the drive is locked. Whats that mean?

I installed the old drive, ran a new backup to WSE.
This morning i put the new drive in again and I am running the restore from WSE again using the new backup. I also opted to not replace "drive" (Partition) 3 because I don't know what it is for and it was the partition that was getting resized differently than before (when using the automatic partitioning option). I left the 100MB and main partition to matching sizes and will worry about resizing the main partition later. I won't get a chance to see what happens before I go to work though.

Last edited:
Got the same error message so I have to assume WSE backups are not compatible with windows 10.

Got the same error message so I have to assume WSE backups are not compatible with windows 10.

If anyone else runs into this, launch the command prompt and enter the commands in this order:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

It fixes the issue! Still annoying that I should have to run this after every time I restore windows 10 from WSE 2012 R2!

I'm not sure why the order mattered or maybe I just got lucky after the second restore.

I didnt even realise my order was messed up. The mbr needs to be repaired BEFORE rebuilding and scanning. Sorry about that!

I didnt even realise my order was messed up. The mbr needs to be repaired BEFORE rebuilding and scanning. Sorry about that!

No worries thanks for your help (you know more than me)! It's a strange issue I'll have to get used to when restoring from WSE :(

Come on Microsoft this is BS!

Its because the MBR portion has little to do with windows. Its needed to make the disk bootable.. like making a usb stick bootable, same concept.

Because you have written an MBR based on that current image a restore with that image at a later date, on this same hdd, should work properly. The MBR isn't usually stored in a partition, but it could be.

Acronis is pretty cheap and I've used it multiple times to restore or recover Win 10.
There are other options as well. And if you are unhappy with MS over this or other things, give them feedback :) They do seem to address things that people write in about.

Back