NVIDIA Introduces GeForce NOW Cloud Gaming Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA has taken the wraps of its new GeForce NOW cloud gaming service. With a library of over 50 games at launch, the service will cost $7.99 per month with the first three months free.

GeForce NOW is the first cloud-gaming service to stream at full high-definition 1080p quality and at 60 frames per second. Membership costs just $7.99 a month with the first three months free. GeForce NOW arrives on Oct. 1 in North America, the European Union and Japan with more than 50 popular games included. And it offers members the option to buy and play many more in an instant.

Play games at Ultra/max settings without needing an expensive video card, and for less than the price of a Spotify subscription? Damn they might actually be onto something.

Connectivity Requirements
GeForce NOW streaming quality automatically adjusts to the speed of your broadband connection.
10 Megabits per second – Required broadband connection speed
20 Megabits per second – Recommended for 720p 60 FPS quality
50 Megabits per second – Recommended for 1080p 60 FPS quality
< 60ms ping time to one of six NVIDIA datacenters world-wide

Interesting. I would really like to see this in person. This has the potential to change gaming or at least throw another contender into the mix.

That's pretty damn Cool IMHO. Hope this pans out. I would love to casual play Smite for a couple hours while camped at the Grand Canyon on a trip. Just during downtime in between hikes and stuff.

[L]imey;1041884193 said:
Shield devices only?

Yes, this to me seems like a soft launch of the service for testing the technology and the market. If successful it likely will expand.

I used the GRID service while it was free on my Shield Tab. Seemed to work ok. Half the cost of a Playstation Now subscription.

GeForce NOW is all about instant gratification. But it took us a decade to invent the technology behind the service that streams GeForce GTX-quality graphics to SHIELD devices.

GeForce NOW is a service designed, built and operated all by NVIDIA. We&#8217;ve optimized every piece of the technology behind GeForce NOW for gaming. That includes the low-latency game controller we built for SHIELD. The Tegra processors we built for our SHIELD devices. The advanced game engine we built into our GeForce GTX-powered servers.

So you&#8217;ll enjoy games at their best. You&#8217;ll enjoy GameWorks enhancements for special effects. And your experience will get better every year as we build more powerful GPUs and gaming technologies into GeForce NOW.

Think of GeForce NOW as your gaming supercomputer in the cloud. Next-gen gaming is now easy and instant.

- See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/09/30/geforce-now/#sthash.VBHFEEJp.dpuf

Shield devices only.

This technology, if it works, is impressive, revolutionary and in the end will be disastrous for gamers.

I think if we're at home and have access to a PC, most of us would rather play locally on our PC anyway, without all the downsides such as lag.

This probably makes more sense for someone who wants to do some pc gaming while away from home.

This technology, if it works, is impressive, revolutionary and in the end will be disastrous for gamers.
My thoughts exactly. We're executing enough games as it is with online-only requirements when the servers shut down. This will take that to a whole other level..

The same people who like the horrible lag of Office365 will buy into this for sure :D

This probably makes more sense for someone who wants to do some pc gaming while away from home.

Or someone that doesn't want to invest in an expensive gaming PC or console but wants to play Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 at Ultra settings for $7.99/month. I don't see any downside personally. "What about lag" - you're not going to be playing competitive CS:GO twitch shooters on this thing but it'll work great for everything else.

I can definitely see the potential.

+1

I would no longer have a desktop, but instead a decent laptop + docking station. And instead of sinking money in an Nvidia card every two-three years, I'll just pay the money for the service.

The same people who like the horrible lag of Office365 will buy into this for sure :D

?

I have Office 365. The app runs off my computer...not the cloud. I do, however, have Cloud storage and the ability to sink my work with every connected device with minimal effort.

If it ran off the cloud, I would be running the most updated version, not constantly being asked to upgrade to 2016.

so looking on Amazon I guess the cheapest way for the TV connected experience is the Shield set top box that came out in may, $199. May be worth getting just to play around with to see how the service works.

Could also be a boon for people with kids - cheaper upfront investment than a console, never have to buy $60 games and the subscription is only a little more prepaid rates of Xbox Gold or PS4 (AFAIK Xbox Live is still $9.99 if you're billed monthly)

Could this be the first real contender for Netflix-of-games? I have to imagine they'll open it up eventually to non Shield devices.

It's LAGTASTIC!

Ugh...

As for this Onlive Version 2... 60ms to 150ms is not my idea of fun on anything but casual games...

GeForce NOW streaming quality automatically adjusts to the speed of your broadband connection.

Interesting. I would really like to see this in person. This has the potential to change gaming or at least throw another contender into the mix.

This is most likely the future of consoles, and later, PCs and other computing platforms.
Ironically, we moved away from dummy terminals and thin clients with mainframes in the 1990s, and now we are moving right back to a similar architecture with ARM devices and cloud storage/computing.

Geforce Now as in not now or ever. The industry needs to stop with this streaming of games crap.

CFjvOUp.jpg

Geforce Now as in not now or ever. The industry needs to stop with this streaming of games crap.

I have been using local streaming from my xbone to pc and it has a slight input lag but i still can play FPS games well.

Or someone that doesn't want to invest in an expensive gaming PC or console but wants to play Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 at Ultra settings for $7.99/month. I don't see any downside personally.
As an additional option, there's no downside. The biggest downside imaginable is this moving from an option to a precedent for future games because some executive sees this doing well. That's when everything goes to hell.

Useless unless you have good speed unlimited internet and you like to play 1080p. I might have enough speed in the middle of the night (sometimes), also I play at 4K, this type of thing if it catches on just increased the digital divide.

Useless unless you have good speed unlimited internet and you like to play 1080p. I might have enough speed in the middle of the night (sometimes), also I play at 4K, this type of thing if it catches on just increased the digital divide.

Fastest speed in the world won't do anything for your ping time, which is arguably the much bigger issue.

Well I take back what I said, this doesn't seem so great unless you're really just opposed to investing in a console or PC+GPU. The subscription only gets you access to the older games, whereas newer games like Witcher 3 require purchase at full price.

Oh well there may still be some people this is interesting for.

Or someone that doesn't want to invest in an expensive gaming PC or console but wants to play Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 at Ultra settings for $7.99/month. I don't see any downside personally. "What about lag" - you're not going to be playing competitive CS:GO twitch shooters on this thing but it'll work great for everything else.

I can definitely see the potential.

Hate to tell you but games like Witcher 3 won't be playable. Dark Souls 2 you can just forget it. No sane person would want this anyway. You have to pay a service and buy the game to play the game. And you're always dealing with input lag. On the very casual of casual games will this work OK.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that SteamBox's will be out soon and for $500 you'll have a better experience than on Cloud gaming services. That $8 a month is better spent elsewhere. And no it won't be ultra graphics cause the game is streaming which means compressed video. None of that is going to compare to the game running on your local PC.

I have been using local streaming from my xbone to pc and it has a slight input lag but i still can play FPS games well.
That's local streaming not cloud streaming. if you experience some input from your local streaming you'll see 10x worse with cloud gaming.

Fastest speed in the world won't do anything for your ping time, which is arguably the much bigger issue.

To completely eliminate latency you need something like quantum entanglement for internet instead of the traditional fiber or copper infrastructure.

True I didn't mention ping time should have, I don't know where their servers are but for me in speedtest usually my pings are pretty good, anyway this might be better in 60 years when everyone has high speed low latency internet access (hopefully). I have my eye on a couple of possible satellite services that are promising very high speed internet with very low cost (through hundreds of satellites), but if you need low ping too I have my doubts.

Hate to tell you but games like Witcher 3 won't be playable. Dark Souls 2 you can just forget it. No sane person would want this anyway. You have to pay a service and buy the game to play the game. And you're always dealing with input lag. On the very casual of casual games will this work OK.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that SteamBox's will be out soon and for $500 you'll have a better experience than on Cloud gaming services. That $8 a month is better spent elsewhere. And no it won't be ultra graphics cause the game is streaming which means compressed video. None of that is going to compare to the game running on your local PC.

That's local streaming not cloud streaming. if you experience some input from your local streaming you'll see 10x worse with cloud gaming.

Touche' - I went back on my earlier statement once I realized the subscription option was for older games.

I think you're right about Steambox. And if you have an existing gaming PC, even just a $50 Steamlink will get it to your livingroom TV over gigabit ethernet without having to lug it downstairs and reconnect everything.

Could see it working on some types of single player games, but 50Mbps solid just to go 1080p...I'm playing 1600p right now, so that would be a downgrade, and who knows about keeping a solid 50Mbps connection at all times.

True I didn't mention ping time should have, I don't know where their servers are but for me in speedtest usually my pings are pretty good, anyway this might be better in 60 years when everyone has high speed low latency internet access (hopefully). I have my eye on a couple of possible satellite services that are promising very high speed internet with very low cost (through hundreds of satellites), but if you need low ping too I have my doubts.
Pay attention where to server is that's you're doing a ping test to. I'm in Jersey and using a nearby server I get 12ms. That's great if the server is like a few towns away. Tested again to California and the ping was 94ms. Which is fine if you're playing a multiplayer game which sends far less data than Cloud gaming would. But if you live in Australia for example and the nearest server to you is California then that's a big problem.

Even Netflix has servers all over the place to deal with this problem.

Bring it to Windows and other platforms I'll give it a shot. Got to figure that's going to happen if they want, what are they called, customers?

Data capped ISP customers need not apply.

With 50mbps requirement for 1080p/60fps it surely cant take long to bust any data cap ...

Back